SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    North Texas Winter Storm and Freezing Pipes
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

North Texas Winter Storm and Freezing Pipes Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I’m pretty sure my indoor plumbing survived - faucets were all left trickling (preparing for the summer-like water bill) - and I was fortunate in never losing power.

My two outdoor faucets were covered (slab foundation, brick sided home, faucets mounted through the bricks) but evidently there was a small drip from each one. Both are frozen solid. I’m a bit on edge for these two now that we are starting to thaw out.

Posts: 486 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sr_Bull:
I’m pretty sure my indoor plumbing survived - faucets were all left trickling (preparing for the summer-like water bill) - and I was fortunate in never losing power.

My two outdoor faucets were covered (slab foundation, brick sided home, faucets mounted through the bricks) but evidently there was a small drip from each one. Both are frozen solid. I’m a bit on edge for these two now that we are starting to thaw out.

There's a good chance that if those out door bibs split, you won't know till you turn the water on outside to use them. After things thaw out, make certain someone is inside near those lines when you turn them on outside. They'll hear the water instantly allowing you to turn them off right away if need be.

Don't know how many people have washed their car or pressure washed their drive way in the spring only to walk back into a flooded house.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:

There's a good chance that if those out door bibs split, you won't know till you turn the water on outside to use them. After things thaw out, make certain someone is inside near those lines when you turn them on outside. They'll hear the water instantly allowing you to turn them off right away if need be.

Don't know how many people have washed their car or pressure washed their drive way in the spring only to walk back into a flooded house.

Appreciate the words of wisdom. I figure tomorrow will be the day of reckoning when it really warms up.

Posts: 486 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
.....We still have no water because we had to turn it off with a burst pipe.
Waiting until our plumber calls us back or it warms up enough to start on it myself.
Frown

I bet plumbers in Texas are swamped!

Yeah, we are getting they can come some time in March??? Confused
Gonna have to fix it myself. Eek

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
.....We still have no water because we had to turn it off with a burst pipe.
Waiting until our plumber calls us back or it warms up enough to start on it myself.
Frown

I bet plumbers in Texas are swamped!

Yeah, we are getting they can come some time in March??? Confused
Gonna have to fix it myself. Eek
I'm fortunate--my Handyman is a qualified plumber and will be fixing my pipes tomorrow.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sr_Bull:

I think all of our water is running okay. The only pipe I have a concern with is the front yard faucet which comes up out of the ground. When I tried to turn it on the first night it got really cold, nothing happened. I covered it up with one of the new fabric covers, a couple of plastic bags, and a metal washtub.

Nothing has happened so far, and my hope is that the slow rise in temperature will simply allow the ice to melt naturally and that outside faucet will start working again.

Fingers crossed for you.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Water's out around here. Me, I'm hoping that it warms up enough before water becomes available again that bursting pipes will be relatively rare. If we make it to Saturday, then we stay up above freezing, but it'll still be pretty cold at night.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
My good friend is fixing my broken pipes, have 4 so far and it's great that he is a retired plumber. Hope to get running water coming out of the faucets instead of thru the wall/ceiling.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Hanyman (aka plumber) here today. Has fixed some of the pipes but keeps finding more. Hoping for a good outcome. Floors have been pretty well dried out from the flood.

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Plumbing supplies are the new ammo now in TX. I'm seeing things such as Sharkbite couplers that retail for $8-15 being bought up and flipped for $25-60 on private party sales sites like CL and FB marketplace. Mad

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
Plumbing supplies are the new ammo now in TX. I'm seeing things such as Sharkbite couplers that retail for $8-15 being bought up and flipped for $25-60 on private party sales sites like CL and FB marketplace. Mad
Dick move, but they've got the right to. Locally, I found everything I needed (~$25.00 worth) and got my water going yesterday. I have a sediment filter at my well and the thick Lucite bowl cracked, but the valve was still OK and I could switch it to bypass.

Good luck to all without water. I hope it's restored and any plumbing issues are minor, fixed quickly, and inexpensive.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
We simply must do something about this global warming!

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My Handyman has completed temporary fixes and I've got hot and cold water in necessary places in the house now. He didn't find a few parts he needs to make a permanent fix, but I'll get by for now. All is well.

flashguy

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Went to the house today, the sprinkler riser that was under a insulated bag and with a trouble light froze. I had turned the valve off and opened the drain-but water in the valve body split it when it froze.

All my outdoor spigots were fine when they thawed out.

Went to Lowe’s got an 86 cent one inch cap and cut the valve out and glued a cap on the line and that’s that until it warms up and the ground dries out....I’ll re-plumb it, but under ground in a box where it won’t freeze.

I left a bottle of water in the water meter box and it never froze.

Still w/o power since Early Monday 0100.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Went to the house today, the sprinkler riser that was under a insulated bag and with a trouble light froze. I had turned the valve off and opened the drain-but water in the valve body split it when it froze.

All my outdoor spigots were fine when they thawed out.

Went to Lowe’s got an 86 cent one inch cap and cut the valve out and glued a cap on the line and that’s that until it warms up and the ground dries out....I’ll re-plumb it, but under ground in a box where it won’t freeze.

I left a bottle of water in the water meter box and it never froze.

Still w/o power since Early Monday 0100.
When you replace, consider replacing with a gate valve instead of a ball valve. Ball valves are the worst valve style for shutoffs since they trap liquid inside which expands when it freezes.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
We got water back tonight after about 5 1/4 days without. Power never went out, thankfully.

I still have a fire sprinkler that was leaking profusely on Tuesday to be taken care of. Since it dissipated slowly that night I presumed it had refrozen (on a ceiling, four inches from an outside wall). Since the leak never reappeared I think the building sprinkler supply is shut off. Oh well, we probably have to wait another few days on that I'd bet.

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
25 miles east of Dallas. Lost power for 50 hours earlier this week. Shut off water outside of house. Had 6 pipe breaks, have repaired 5. Out of parts. All Lowe’s and HD stores have been picked clean of PEX pipe and shark bite fittings.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
No similar issues here in the northeast so...
If one or two of my forum brothers in Texas need plumbing parts they cannot source, send me an email.
I'll make home depot/Lowes runs and buy what you need, then overnight it to you Monday, at actual cost.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motor59:
No similar issues here in the northeast so...
If one or two of my forum brothers in Texas need plumbing parts they cannot source, send me an email.
I'll make home depot/Lowes runs and buy what you need, then overnight it to you Monday, at actual cost.

I agree. Post a list or email and we will send you supplies. Good buddy of mine owns a plumbing supply.

Also let me know if there is anything else you need and I'll see if I can find it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post