SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    North Texas Winter Storm and Freezing Pipes
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

North Texas Winter Storm and Freezing Pipes Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I cannot imagine the number of people in the trades who will be needed in Texas, to repair all the damage. I suspect there is months, if not years of work to be done.

I feel absolutely terrible for the people of Texas.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I bet plumbers in Texas are swamped!

Busy for sure but we won't thaw out for a few more days then all hell will break loose.

I keep a decent amount of copper and PVC on hand but went and restocked on some basic stuff today just to beat the rush.

Posts: 18032 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
We have done ok so far with limited rolling blackouts on power. Water has been on until earlier today and the whole area is down and with be in a boil water until further notice if and when it comes back on.
People on the community FB page have been complaining about everything under the sun. No mail, no trash pickup, no power, no water and can’t get out cause of the roads. Man are they in for it when everything thaws out and the water comes back on. The water leaks and damage from the water will be the next issue for them.
We just don't see these cold freezing temps for this long and most homes aren't built for the freezing temps.
Seen long cold temps several times before in this home and the only issues were a bathroom since with plumbing on the outside wall froze and stopped flowing but never broke any pipes. Just opened the cabinet doors to allow heat to the fixture and wall and all was good.
This time we just opened the doors and left it running.

My wife saw people bitching about no cable or internet but have power while there is countless other people doing without power for days. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I had a broken pipe under the kitchen sink and my first floor is flooded. My Handyman is here and working on it. I do have a work order in to ServPro for them to come do it properly.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I had a broken pipe under the kitchen sink and my first floor is flooded. My Handyman is here and working on it. I do have a work order in to ServPro for them to come do it properly.

flashguy

Take heart. My parents had a fully flooded first floor from a frozen pipe many years ago. They were not there at the time and I was first on the scene after a neighbor finally noticed.

I figured it was damn near a total loss/gut etc.

Serve pro was used and they must have used literal sorcery. I was AGAPE at how good of a job they did. It was truly amazing what they were able to accomplish.

Hang in all. You will be bitching about the heat in no time Smile.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
My kids and ex live in Texas. Oldest daughter in San Antonio / Alamo Heights was pretty much unscathed. No loss of power or water.

Younger daughter still in school in Huntsville....different story. Lots of snow and ice, extremly cold up until yesterday, lost power and water. Power in her apt/dorm still out, water is out apparently most of Huntsville.

Road conditions were such that she was able to make it to her mom's yesterday north of Conroe (mom lost power and water briefly Monday). I was so happy and relieved when she got there.

Heard on news that there are lines for food, water, gas...but likely only in the major metro areas.

quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
I cannot imagine the number of people in the trades who will be needed in Texas, to repair all the damage. I suspect there is months, if not years of work to be done.

I feel absolutely terrible for the people of Texas.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Heard on news that there are lines for food, water, gas...but likely only in the major metro areas.
Friends and neighbors are reporting that the line at Home Depot (2 different parts of Houston) is 3 hours to even get into the plumbing aisle. That's just to look and see if they actually have what you need.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Man I got lucky on this one. I'm in a townhouse and it's not an end unit so all the pipes are in walls that have heat on both sides. I also never lost power. I did have friends who lost power here for three days until theirs came back on. They had the pipe to the kitchen sink burst and are cleaning that up now.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1772 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I am in north Texas by dfw airport, power came on Tuesday morning but pipe burst in the laundry room. Was lucky enough to find 3/4 rigid copper to fix. I am not use to this pioneer life with no water or heat.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Friends and neighbors are reporting that the line at Home Depot (2 different parts of Houston) is 3 hours to even get into the plumbing aisle. That's just to look and see if they actually have what you need.

I feel lucky.
On Tuesday morning we had 2 burst pipes on the outside of the house.
Went to the local Lowes on 290 in Cypress and was able to get what I needed for an immediate repair.
Just under 2 hours for the work, plus an hour for the roundtrip to the store.

And just as lucky, the power came back on while I was at the store.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
quote:

I feel lucky.
On Tuesday morning we had 2 burst pipes on the outside of the house.
Went to the local Lowes on 290 in Cypress and was able to get what I needed for an immediate repair.
Just under 2 hours for the work, plus an hour for the roundtrip to the store.

And just as lucky, the power came back on while I was at the store.
My neighor went Tuesday morning and had the same experience as you. My other neighbor and my buddy in Champions, said the line phenomenon started Tuesday afternoon and continued Wednesday.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Going to rely on the brain trust here. Bought this place in November and it was built in 2018. The water heater is in the garage and in addition to a water shutoff outside I have this manifold in the garage. There is a shutoff valve at the bottom just outside the picture but I've have never seen anything like this in any place I have owned. I doubt it could be required - I just think they did not skimp when they built this place. Anyone else have something like this?

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1772 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
It's a manifold. Great for isolating and doing work.

The downside is efficiency. Let's say that you have a full bathroom located between the water heater and kitchen. With the manifold set-up, there would be a separate run for each room. With the traditional set-up you would have a tee at the full bathroom and both the cold and hot water would continue to the kitchen. If you just got done doing the dishes and wanted to hop in the shower the traditional set-up would have immediate hotwater except a few feet of water between tee in ceiling and shower, but in the manifold set-up there would be no hot water between the water heater and shower so you'd have to run all of the line fill down the drain before the hot water arrived.

Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Thanks, yeah I get all that and have noticed that the water has to make the full run to each outlet. So I ended up running the hot water out of every outlet I had during the last few days. But again, having no pipes against exterior walls and having power was the big factor I think.

Plato

If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

The downside is efficiency. Let's say that you have a full bathroom located between the water heater and kitchen. With the manifold set-up, there would be a separate run for each room. With the traditional set-up you would have a tee at the full bathroom and both the cold and hot water would continue to the kitchen. If you just got done doing the dishes and wanted to hop in the shower the traditional set-up would have immediate hotwater except a few feet of water between tee in ceiling and shower, but in the manifold set-up there would be no hot water between the water heater and shower so you'd have to run all of the line fill down the drain before the hot water arrived.

I wonder if he has a hot water circulation pump built into that. One man branch with continuously circulating hot water feeding the branches as needed.

Posts: 4101 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a hot water circulation system that is controlled by a PLC. Programmed to run 5:30 AM - 9:00 PM, pump runs 10 seconds every minute. Almost instant hot water from the gas heater.

Of course, when the electricity is off, it is back to led fashion waiting for the hot water.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Aaaand....more money spent by this place. I need to install one of those.

Plato

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

I wonder if he has a hot water circulation pump built into that. One man branch with continuously circulating hot water feeding the branches as needed.
My buddy in Alaska had a huge sprawling Texas sized home. Even with the size, the gas bill didn't make sense. Then, he discovered/remembered that the home had the circulated hot water loop. He said the instant hot water was nice, but not nice enough to justify that big bill so he shut it off.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We lost power in our subdivision on early Monday morning...we left Tuesday to a friends house a few miles away with power. Went back just a few minutes ago and he neighborhood is still w/o power. People are burning pallets and bringing coals indoors, they’ve cut the mesquite trees off of an empty lot, people are helping each other. There’s no internet either...

My big freezer is still frozen, but the food in the fridge in the house is done...it’s 50° inside. I chucked the stuff outside .

The roads are complete ice. The city is ice. The roads have two to three inches of ice. I drove in the gutter where running water had melted the ice and I could get traction.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a heads up for those dealing with frozen pipes and their resulting mess. I'm in the industry and while we have very large offices in Texas and many supporting offices traveling to assist, it could be a while before you get help.

The number of claims that are being filed through homeowner's insurance is staggering. There are early reports that this event could be record shattering in numerous categories. Talked to a very large equipment manufacturer yesterday and was told they've exceeded their record sales following a catastrophe and they simply don't have the inventory or the supplies to fill the rush of orders.

If anyone needs advice on what to do with a flooded house before help arrives, please reach out to me, my email is in my profile.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post