SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    North Texas Winter Storm and Freezing Pipes
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

North Texas Winter Storm and Freezing Pipes Login/Join 
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Lowest temps I have seen in over 20 years of living in my house and 23 years in this area. This morning the water in my master bath tub would not come on, never really thought about it but the water to the master bath is on an exterior wall. I knew the water to my sink in the master was on an exterior wall so I keep a heater going with the doors under the sink open so it can stay warm. I've never done anything with the bathtub water nor have I had an issue.

Had to head into the attic, start up two propane heaters I use for hunting and put them in that corner of the attic where the water to my bath/shower goes. The way my house is built that part of the attic cannot be accessed unless the roof decking is off but heat can migrate that way. So with two propane heaters in the attic, a space heater in the bathroom venting (the bath vent does not go out the roof, it goes into the attic), and both my attic access points open to get heat from the house into the attic I got the temp from in the 30's in the attic to 80. Hopefully nothing ruptured, I am monitoring for leaks but now I have water to the faucet. One more night and we are out of this. I ma glad I have power or there would be nothing I could do but wait until it thaws and fix the leaks.

Posts: 4098 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:

Minus 14.
Damn global warming.

Silly plebe. Record lows are caused by global warming, don't you know.... . .

So I would ask him two questions. First, do you take your kool-aid in standard concentration or high-density? Second, do you take your kool-aid orally, or IV?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
quote:

Minus 14.
Damn global warming.

Silly plebe. Record lows are caused by global warming, don't you know.... . .

So I would ask him two questions. First, do you take your kool-aid in standard concentration or high-density? Second, do you take your kool-aid orally, or IV?

Posts: 1549 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that full implementation of the "green new deal" will turn this country into a third word hell hole of regular power blackouts and rising unemployment. The wind power generators are a disaster now. There is a lot of evidence that if a lot of these things are placed off shore, it will be damaging to sea life and possibly interfere with salmon migrations inland. I have no problem with a very modest go slow approach to some of these technologies. If for example there could be improvements in the ability to store power longer when solar is at max capacity (for use when solar "goes dark"), that would be a game changer for solar. But we are not there yet. And this idiotic talk that 11,000 plus people laid off because of the cancellation of the pipeline will get good paying union jobs as solar installers is a huge pile of bullshit.

Posts: 1049 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta feel for you folks, dealing with all of this.

The Sierras in CA got hit with 4-6' of snow several weeks ago, all within 48-hrs. The heavy snowfall tore down trees which in turned, tore down power lines or, fell onto people's homes. Emergency crews took awhile as virtually every community along the West slope of the Sierras was affected. Power was out for over a week, after several years of rolling blackouts due to high-winds, most everyone has bought generators to keep their fridge/freezers running. Those came in handy but, the gas stations were a mess, as everyone came to refill their gas cans, meanwhile all the Flatlanders came to play & sled on the massive snow berms, creating traffic which frustrated many and frayed some nerves.

Don't let your driveway ice-over, wear layers and keep your thermos' filled.

Posts: 14632 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Well, woke up to this:

It's currently 34 degrees warmer in Anchorage, Alaska than it is here. Our temperatures are the same as Utqiagvik, Alaska (the furthest northern city in the US, and 9th furthest northern city in the world).

Some places around are reporting as low as -20, but I don't know how accurate their thermometers are when it gets that low.

Lots of neighbors reporting the water to their house has frozen. Mine's good, so far.

We had about 8 inches of snow yesterday. Supposed to get another 4-8 this afternoon through tomorrow.

But at least it's going to warm up to 20ish today. Smile

It's about the same next door here. Not a cloud in the sky,sunny day. Just waiting for round 2.

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:

To me this sounds like you might have a burst line/faucet and I'd be planning on minimizing that once the area is no longer frozen. You could of course try to melt it...but what I guess I'm trying to say is I'd be damn sure I'd have a plan if water starts flowing because you may not able to stop it. Maybe have a pipe cutter and some shark bite push to connect end stops in case you need to shut off the water and do an emergency repair inside the house.

I think it's just the faucet. I called my plumber this morning as this needs to be handled as well as the other exterior faucet. Both need to be converted to freeze proof. I called to schedule something for Saturday. I've got a key and can shut off the water to the house once we are above freezing. Have them come out and replace both of the exterior faucets to freeze proof. Well there servers are down for scheduling service calls. Apparently whomever hosts their system, power is down and they have run out of gas for their generators. So they cannot schedule an appointment and don't know when they can come out Frown I imagine this is most plumbers in the area.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12614 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yucaipa:
quote:
Well, woke up to this:

It's currently 34 degrees warmer in Anchorage, Alaska than it is here. Our temperatures are the same as Utqiagvik, Alaska (the furthest northern city in the US, and 9th furthest northern city in the world).

Some places around are reporting as low as -20, but I don't know how accurate their thermometers are when it gets that low.

Lots of neighbors reporting the water to their house has frozen. Mine's good, so far.

We had about 8 inches of snow yesterday. Supposed to get another 4-8 this afternoon through tomorrow.

It's about the same next door here. Not a cloud in the sky,sunny day. Just waiting for round 2.

Woke up this morning and it was 34 in Epping, NH??????

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
Originally posted by yucaipa:
quote:
Well, woke up to this:

Woke up this morning and it was 34 in Epping, NH??????

Does walmart have flip-flops on sale ?

Harry S. Truman

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:. . . So I would ask him two questions. First, do you take your kool-aid in standard concentration or high-density? Second, do you take your kool-aid orally, or IV?

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EVAdt5bH2tE" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

I wasn't aware the twitter/tweet (or whatever) was a joke. I guess my excuse is that I had nearly 40 years in Silicon Valley where the majority fully believe that man's use of oil will destroy the planet and every living thing on the planet. And they believe man-made global warming is just as proven science as the law of gravity.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:

To me this sounds like you might have a burst line/faucet and I'd be planning on minimizing that once the area is no longer frozen. You could of course try to melt it...but what I guess I'm trying to say is I'd be damn sure I'd have a plan if water starts flowing because you may not able to stop it. Maybe have a pipe cutter and some shark bite push to connect end stops in case you need to shut off the water and do an emergency repair inside the house.

I think it's just the faucet. I called my plumber this morning as this needs to be handled as well as the other exterior faucet. Both need to be converted to freeze proof. I called to schedule something for Saturday. I've got a key and can shut off the water to the house once we are above freezing. Have them come out and replace both of the exterior faucets to freeze proof. Well there servers are down for scheduling service calls. Apparently whomever hosts their system, power is down and they have run out of gas for their generators. So they cannot schedule an appointment and don't know when they can come out Frown I imagine this is most plumbers in the area.

If they're all ready froze it probably won't help to "open" the valve before the thaw, but you might get lucky, if they aren't already ruptured. Either way change them out.

Harry S. Truman

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:

I wasn't aware the twitter/tweet (or whatever) was a joke. I guess my excuse is that I had nearly 40 years in Silicon Valley where the majority fully believe that man's use of oil will destroy the planet and every living thing on the planet. And they believe man-made global warming is just as proven science as the law of gravity.

Ok, just to clear this up, Greymann thought that you were referring to his post when Greymann was clearly being sarcastic. Equally, I thought it was pretty clear that your post was in reference to the Twitter screenshot, but I can also understand how Greymann thought that you were addressing him. You removed the pic in your reply for brevity (which we all appreciate), and that caused some confusion likely. I think that clears that up, but now I forget what we were talking about.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30400 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently 16°F here in East Texas. We still have power although it was off momentarily we had an outage last night. Our electric provider SWEPCO was warning that rolling outages were possible yesterday then posted later that the interruptions were being suspended for the time being. SWEPCO is not part of the Texas power grid(ERCOT).
My sister, 35 miles to my southeast, is without power as of this morning and possibly some frozen pipes.
Our workplace shutdown for the whole week, parts of our facility are open or not suitably insulated for comfortable working conditions.
And the freeze-“thaw”-freeze cycle on the roads makes getting our workforce to work even on Thursday/Friday very iffy.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to live in Pearland, Tx in a house that had both elect and gas. Stove, dryer, fireplaces and Central heat were fired by gas.

Good, I thought. If we lose elect power in the winter, then we’ll still have heat.

Wrong! Electronic control and fan need elect power. Dumb me!

Thank goodness for gas fireplaces!

Now in central Tx in all elect house hoping I don’t lose power.

Posts: 1606 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, even though my gas furnace can't supply central heat if the power is out due to the rest of the system requiring electricity, having both a gas fireplace and gas water heater makes winter power outages bearable.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
And don't forget gas stoves/ranges.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30400 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Strangely enough, gas fireplaces, furnaces, and water heaters are common around here, but gas stoves and dryers are not.

For example, both my current house and previous house had no gas hookups in the kitchen or laundry. So if I wanted gas appliances, I'd have to have additional gas lines run first.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Power came back on after nearly 33 hours. My Kohler whole house generator was flawless the entire time. It definitely paid for itself.

Tonight’s forecast is a bit ominous and it varies from a 1/4 inch of ice to 6 inches of snow. In other words, we could have another repeat of Monday with horrible roads and widespread power outages.
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
Thank goodness for gas fireplaces!
Have you tested it without power?

The reason I ask is that the builder for my neighborhood (2015-2018 homes) installed gas fireplaces with some sort of safety valve that needs two D size batteries. It wasn’t just to get it started either as people who pulled their batteries to share with a neighbor had their fireplace shutoff.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23199 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And don't forget gas stoves/ranges.

Our new gas range has electrical ignition, need to read up/try to turn on a burner with a match.....

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Have you tested it without power?

The reason I ask is that the builder for my neighborhood (2015-2018 homes) installed gas fireplaces with some sort of safety valve that needs two D size batteries. It wasn’t just to get it started either as people who pulled their batteries to share with a neighbor had their fireplace shutoff.

That would seem to defeat one of the main things that attracts folks to gas fireplaces...

Mine requires zero external power. It uses a push-button piezo igniter to light the pilot (like on a gas grill). Once lit, the heat from the pilot works a thermocouple that generates millivolts sufficient to work the gas valve.