SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So I Own This Bentley S1. What Should I Do With It?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I Own This Bentley S1. What Should I Do With It? Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Tac,

I have made a guess in the past that a sympathetic restoration, the kind that gets it up and running well, with out any other details, would cost me somewhere around $19k. I realize that is money I'll never get back out of it. I have the funds to do this, but am not sure I really want to go that far.

H&K-Guy

I guess that you live in a part of the world where Roll-Royce and Bentley cars, even the one-offs [or almost one-offs like yours] can be restored for that kind of money. I live in the middle of part of the world where Rolls-Royces and Bentleys are pretty commonplace, the coachbuilders, Windover, used to operate in my local town. My own feeling, based on 'near-personal' experience of bespoke aluminium coachwork and Roll-Royce underpinnings, is that you are looking at around $100K to do what you want and to give the car what it is worth its due.

Rebuilding the front suspension alone is a major job, if needed, and will soak up your $19K and add another $11K to it.

Good luck.

tac

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I don't want to be a "restoration buzzkill," but... a quickie Google search turns up a '57, sold at $42,500.

https://www.hemmings.com/class...tley/s1/1960088.html

The cost-vs-payback question may be prohibitive. (Depending, of course, on how much work has to be done to make it roadworthy again.)

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redleg06:
Wayne Carini from "Chasing Classic Cars"?

That is just the kind of car he falls in love with. I would definitely email F40. send a couple pictures and maybe you can be on TV too...

http://www.f40.com/contactus.php

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Another option, check out this 1958 Rolls. I think a modern running gear, brakes, etc is a viable way. JayLenosGarage-1958Rolls

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Restomod with an LS1/400 small block... Big Grin

Did I mention I have one hotrod, and will probably end up with more...

Posts: 5726 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thag Jay Leno video is awesome. Could you imagine rolling out that old derelict rolls making 550 real horsepower and having him just blow your doors off

Posts: 4753 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post