SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So I Own This Bentley S1. What Should I Do With It?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I Own This Bentley S1. What Should I Do With It? Login/Join 
No Compromise
posted
This is a 1959 Bentley S-1, Hooper Body (Fender Skirts), four door, 6 Liter. It costs me a ton to store it, and I don't know if I should, or even could, restore it by myself, or do something else with it. The carburetors, Hub Caps, Brakes, and stuff, need to be reinstalled, not sure why they were removed and stored separately. Everything is stock. There are only supposed to be a few of these (three??) ever made. I've seen one sell restored for over 60K.

IMG_0180 by KS, on Flickr

IMG_0177 by KS, on Flickr

IMG_0183 by KS, on Flickr

What says the SigForum Hive Mind? Sell, trade, restore, have it restored, Karma it on SigForum, send it to the car crusher?

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Id join in on the Karma but immediately be in the same boat if i won. Id have no clue what to do with it. I just want to say its a beautiful car! My grandpa always loooved old cars and would point them out to me. When he died he had hundreds of models of old classics. So its fun to look at an old car now and hear his voice as i read the descriptions as if he were sharing that knowledge with me again.

Regardless of what you do, an update would be fun!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that is a pretty rare car. I'd look into getting it appraised and then decide.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Maybe crm can hook you up with one of his customers who are into that sort with their high level of discretionary budget. Otherwise, Monkey Garage is on TV and I'm sure there are others of its kind.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19632 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where is Xzibit when you need him?

Posts: 586 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put it up on bringatrailer.com and see what it brings.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If storing it costs you a fortune and you won't have the money to restore it. SELL IT, and invest the money. Usually restorations cost far more than the car is worth when you're done restoring it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Usually restorations cost far more than the car is worth when you're done restoring it.

^^^^^Repeated for Truth.

I've taken the cure enough times that I am now finally immune to the 'gotta restore it' bug.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9852 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
If storing it costs you a fortune and you won't have the money to restore it. SELL IT, and invest the money. Usually restorations cost far more than the car is worth when you're done restoring it.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Second

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4827 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I would definitely try to find it a home. As a "car guy," I'd hate to see a classic Bentley just scrapped or crushed.

If it's one of three, would the factory have an interest in having it back?

God bless America.

Posts: 13481 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Haggerty doesn’t list that body.....
...but that gives a general idea.

Unless you’re in the Bentley restoration business, I suspect that’s a death spiral idea.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12388 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sell

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I would definitely try to find it a home. As a "car guy," I'd hate to see a classic Bentley just scrapped or crushed.

The factory is/was somewhere in London. Good idea. I should try to hunt it down.

H&K-Guy

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

The factory is/was somewhere in London. Good idea. I should try to hunt it down.

H&K-Guy

https://www.bentleymotors.com/...ages/contact-us.html
https://www.linkedin.com/company/bentley-motors-ltd

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16177 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Haggerty doesn’t list that body.....
...but that gives a general idea.

Unless you’re in the Bentley restoration business, I suspect that’s a death spiral idea.

It is insured through Hagerty I should hunt down the paper work and insurance info on it. That would give me a better idea of what to do.

H&K-Guy

Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:
Usually restorations cost far more than the car is worth when you're done restoring it.

^^^^^Repeated for Truth.

I've taken the cure enough times that I am now finally immune to the 'gotta restore it' bug.

That is exactly why I no longer work on 56-57 Chrysler 300 cars. And more recently 66-68 Mustangs. I have a Tacoma and a Forrester, and am quite content to restoring good old Model 70s.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6310 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Beautiful car.

Sell it or finish it, but don't just keep storing it as is.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Wayne Carini from "Chasing Classic Cars"?

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Sell it

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Sell or auction it, you might find a few people willing to fight for it.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37946 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post