SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you still use email for personal communications?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you still use email for personal communications? Login/Join 
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Quite a bit. My hearing makes it difficult to talk on the phone without preparation diffi
With my hearing loss, my phone is next to useless for voice communications, so email is my primary method for both personal and business communications. Text for short messages, email for everything else.
I have pretty bad hearing loss, but my hearing aids are blue-tooth paired to my phone, so I get the calls piped right into my ears.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I actually speak to people. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Yes, I like email. It offers a lot of versatility as to filtering, archiving, attachments etc that are missing or not as user friendly in text msgs. When using text, there's always and effort to keep things short and use abbreviations. Where as emails just type away to your hearts content. Of course if you tool wordy, you risk the reader falling asleep.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Sometimes I actually speak to people. Big Grin

More times than not I just call too. Texting is for a picture or short messages like - pick up milk on your way home

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Yes.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I have pretty bad hearing loss, but my hearing aids are blue-tooth paired to my phone, so I get the calls piped right into my ears.
I have a bluetooth dongle for the phone / hearing aid connection. Plenty of volume, but lacking clarity. Vowels are easy, consonants are distinguished from each other mostly by high-frequency audio component, and that's my problem. My hearing loss is really bad at the high frequency end of the audio spectrum.

The only time I have a decent chance of understanding a phone call is if I'm in the car. Ford Sync connects to the phone via bluetooth and plays through the car radio's amplifier and speakers. I have a reasonable chance of understanding male voices. Female voices are more difficult for me.

If I absolutely have to place a phone call, no other choice, I use the Relay Service. A Relay Operator bridges the call, speaking to the party on the other end, and typing back and forth to me. Downsides are
  • I have to be at a computer with internet access,

• there is a third party on the call (the Relay Operator), so there are some topics and security issues that I am not comfortable discussing, and

• it's easy enough for me to originate a call using this method, but I really do not have a good way to receive an incoming call.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
Yes, I like email. It offers a lot of versatility as to filtering, archiving, attachments etc that are missing or not as user friendly in text msgs. When using text, there's always and effort to keep things short and use abbreviations. Where as emails just type away to your hearts content. Of course if you tool wordy, you risk the reader falling asleep.

Or uses the DELETE key... Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post