SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you still use email for personal communications?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you still use email for personal communications? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
Seems mine is just a place for ads and accounts I have online access to. I don't remember the last time I used it for personal communications. Seems odd. I guess too many alternatives are available now.

I still use email at work for business communications.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Yes. I hate typing on a phone, so while I use text, its for short things, or I dictate the text, not type it.

For more complex communications, I email. If I am worried about the recipient seeing it, I send them a text telling them they have a longer email from me about (subject). That way, I know they got the message, but I didn't have to type War and Peace with my thumbs on a tiny screen.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Yep. I'm a "touch typist" and don't "text"--I use a full-sized tactile keyboard when I'm communicating with others. My flip phone is just for oral communications, and I do very little of that--long conversations are via my land-line phone at home.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Emails are just commerce / order emails or work emails.

There are so many of those that it's very easy / typical for a personal email to get lost in the shuffle - so I've told people who used to email often that the best way to get a response is call or text.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
It's my preferred method for non-urgent communication. I never did develop the habit of being a slave to my phone every time something is sent my way. While I check my email frequently, it's not unusual for me miss texts unless they are from someone with a special notification tone.

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I hate text except for brief communication.
I have IT clients that want me to "fix" their computers over text messages.
I had to put a stop to it and edict "no tech support via text" > only email, phone or set an on site appointment.
Email is a preferred method of communication for a number of reasons.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Interesting question that I've asked myself- not for me, but for the younger folks I know. Most of them never use email willingly. If you ask them to send an email to an aunt or uncle they roll their eyes and tell you "that's so five minutes ago"...

Email is 80% of my communication, and I have different emails for business and personal. I still find it pretty astounding that someone would send an off-the-wall text message (to people who sleep with a phone as an alarm) at 1am. (Happens a lot to people I know). And try looking at an excel spreadsheet on a @#$@#$# phone.

On a good keyboard I can type around 80 wpm or so. Texting on a phone screen is absolutely painful...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I still use email to communicate with a few old friends. But my SIL and niece have abandoned email in favor of Facebook. I had to get a Facebook account to keep up with their doings. A little texting too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Yes, under certain circumstances.

Especially when I am on the road, if it's complicated or I cam keeping odd hours, it's the way to go.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have time to play with my phone & my Tax business MUST have client communication that can be stored as backup.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quite a bit. My hearing makes it difficult to talk on the phone without preparation difficult. It's much easier to communicate with email. Yes, texting too, but I have fat fingers....

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I do not text. Just getting used to post here using my phone but it is uncomfortably convenient. Do not like it.

Phones should be used to pass brief messages and work but not to tell your life story when the other end is trying to have a life or is busy.
Find most phone use a rude form of people abuse.

If I courteously pick up the phone it doesn't mean i was sitting there picking my nose and waiting for it to get my attention.

Phones bring me a lot more bad news and irritation than good news and any form of satisfaction.

While I and bad at making it short (just read any post of mine). I pick my words carefully while emailing.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I use my phone to email. I wasn’t aware that email was hopelessly outmoded. Guess I need to get me one of them myspace thingys.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Mostly texting here, but if I need to send a long message to someone I'll email. As others have said, it's much easier to type out a longer conversation on a keyboard vs. an iPhone.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I recently had some of my older son's friends visit and one was fascinated that we had three printers. (A commercial HP laserprinter, a high-res photo printer and a combo wireless scanner/color printer). I explained to him that we print a lot of color prints for prototype development/startups and proprietary project packets. The laserwriter is the cheapest quality printing I've found. (Brought it from a local fire department when they went wireless for $25 bucks).

He began lecturing me about how I didn't need printers, that I could just send things to Wal-mart, printer shops and drugs stores. Then you just drive over and pick it up! Wow. Didn't I know that printers are so out of date and hurt the environment?
NOBODY has printers at home, anymore, he said...

quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I use my phone to email. I wasn’t aware that email was hopelessly outmoded. Guess I need to get me one of them myspace thingys.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Yes.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Yes, and from a PC with a keyboard.

I'm one of those dinosaurs that doesn't like texting or trying to type an email on a phone.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Mix here, depending on the recipient.

I have 5 brothers, 4 older, one younger. 3 of them don't even own a computer or a smart phone to the best of my knowledge - 2 oldest both in their 80's, and the younger one.

One of the two that DO have computers is on my Bozo List and all his emails go directly to trash.

The remaining one we trade jokes and the odd personal comment.

Daughters are mostly text with an occasional email for longer missives.

Grandkids are all text, but apparently that is "so five minutes ago" as someone said and they're doing snapchat or skype or some other technology I don't give a shit about.

As to printers, I have a cheap (~$100) Brother laser as I like to print out the various parts books and manuals I download as PDF's. If I need color, I actually do go to WalMart as color ink is just stupid expensive and usually dries up before I use it all anyway.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My communication
Phone
Text
Email

Which is chosen depends on type need of information to be passed on the person to who I'm communicating with.

Some friends do no txting, little email, they get phone calls. Others I txt, email, phone.

I do not use social media (facebook, etc) for any communication.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Quite a bit. My hearing makes it difficult to talk on the phone without preparation diffi
With my hearing loss, my phone is next to useless for voice communications, so email is my primary method for both personal and business communications. Text for short messages, email for everything else.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30645 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post