SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dog whisperer needed Update: Max has crossed the Rainbow Bridge
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog whisperer needed Update: Max has crossed the Rainbow Bridge Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bob ramberg:
Yes, the .22 comment was in jest.

The dog gets some arthritis medicine in the morning and a pain medication in the evening.

I have a 16 year old Shiba Inu, who has the same afflictions as your dog, except he is not aggressive to people but other dogs. He started developing dementia this spring. It is terrible to see them go from an alert active dog, to one who wanders constantly,in a short time.

Sebastian will cross the Rainbow Bridge soon, as his dementia has progressed.

I know what you are going through. I've had many dogs that have lived long past their expectancy.
Some dogs go quickly when they get very old, some have a stream of ailments.

I sincerely wish things were better for your dog.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
My Dad was a Vet. I held dogs and raised their vein so many times. It is never easy. Especially when it's your own dog.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Kind of like Biden. You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I think it's time, need to let go.No way do I condone a dog living in pain. He's telling you. I hate this part to no end. But I can't let a dog suffer..17 is a long time and I'm sure he's had a great life...

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0066464?r=2250066464

Just couldn't help yourself, huh?

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
What is your problem? Butt out if you have nothing to contribute.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
My Dad was a Vet. I held dogs and raised their vein so many times. It is never easy. Especially when it's your own dog.

When my wife and I met/married, we became a blended home of geriatric dogs - four of the dogs were all of the age where, based on average lifespans of the dogs' breed and size, would all play at the beach one last time, at the same time before crossing over.

The fifth (Ruger) is/was a puppy then and is now nine years old. He and one of Team Geriatric are left. Wife and I are on the fence about anbother dog as this will crimp our traveling desires. Ruger will be a backseat Brittany after Tara (135 lb Shepard/Malamute mix) crosses over.

Each of our dogs have a very special place in our lives and, we remember when we first met them and when we last held them.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dog was having issues we took him to the vet and was put on antibiotics, he had an infection.
He is doing great now.

He is losing his hearing and some of his eyesight, getting old sucks for people and dogs.

My guess at that age he has multiple medical problems.

If you can find a vet that specializes in older dogs that may be the best.

You need to decide before you go, how much you want to spend.

A friend spent $36,000 to give his dog chemo to keep him alive an extra year in comfort.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
Update: Max had gotten progressively weaker and was on antibiotics the last two weeks. He stopped eating and we were feeding him though a syringe. Finally he called it quits and passed away quietly a week ago. He was so weak. It is really unimaginable just how much you can love and miss a dog. We lost a family member when he died.

I feel very selfish for how I thought about him these last few months. He was always the best puppy and was always at the door to greet me when I came home from work. He knew the sound of my car and would rush to the door when he heard it! We had him cremated and his ashes are on the mantle in our family room.

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1362 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Condolences. It's never easy, especially after 17 years. He may have been in cognitive decline, but I'll wager he knew for sure he was loved.

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about Max Frown

Our condolences.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
sorry Bob, That is about as tough as it gets. May you guys have peace in time and cherish the memories of such a great pal and family member. They are all truly special. Sincerely, orc

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very sorry for your loss Bob. A dog is a family member and it hurts just as much.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
The stronger the bond, the greater the loss.
Enjoy the fond memories and let the rough ones go.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this news, condolences sent.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear of his passing. Just remember he was with the family for a very long time and how much everyone loved him.

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss.

These threads hit closer to home for me these days as our Brittany gets older. She's 15 1/2 now, so has exceeded the average lifespan for her breed. Nothing terrible right now. She has arthritis in one hip, takes her time on stairs and has a few more potty accidents, but eats well and seems happy. Still, I wouldn't be shocked to come downstairs some morning and find that she had passed.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

I believe they wait for us.

Don't beat yourself up. Part of the letting go may have been displaced anger and frustration of knowing in the back of your mind where it was going.

I am sorry you lost your friend.

My condolences to you and your wife.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to hear he is gone. He lived his time, but it isn't easy.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post