SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dog whisperer needed Update: Max has crossed the Rainbow Bridge
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog whisperer needed Update: Max has crossed the Rainbow Bridge Login/Join 
Picture of bob ramberg
posted
We have a 17 year old Bijon that has turned into a real problem. He used to be a very sweet dog but now he nips at you when you try to pet him or touch him. His hearing is pretty gone and we don't think he sees to well anymore, either. We try not to "sneak" up on him, and if your careful he will let you give him a belly rub. But for the most part he is hands off. He has bitten both my wife and I on the face while we were holding him. He didn't break the skin, but WTF.
Over the last year or so, he has also started peeing and pooping in the house. Never used to do that unless we ignored his wimpers or had left him home alone. Now it is almost a daily thing that he will pee somewhere in the house, usually on one of the carpet runners we put down to help him walk. He has trouble on smooth surfaces. He also poops in his sleep!
I'm about ready to put a .22 in his ear but my wife would kill me. I mean it, she would murder me, dead, they wouldn't find my body. How do I teach an old dog new tricks, or at least get him to remember the ones he used to know?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bob ramberg,

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1366 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Sadly, this doesn't sound like a training problem; it sounds like health issues due to his age.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I don't think that this is a situation that will improve. Most likely his body systems are beginning to shut down, in combination with loss of hearing and sight, and he may be very sensitive in areas where he didn't used to be. He may also be loosing mental capacity as well. 17 is well past where most dogs make it.

Wished I had better news for you.

Posts: 1276 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
Sadly, this doesn't sound like a training problem; it sounds like health issues due to his age.

Agree. A 17 y/o dog is like a 100 y/o human.

Q

Posts: 26350 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is to go to your vet. Have your dog checked out and bring a written list of the issues, because at least here in St. Louis, you can’t go in with your dog. Hence the written list will help your vet diagnose the issue(s).

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It sounds like he is in pain and is very sensitive to handling. And possibly asking for help with leaving little hints.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Hope your .22 statement was in jest/ frustration.

He has the beginnings of CCD. Cannine Cognitive Disorder.
Or Dog Dementia.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
My suggestion is to go to your vet. Have your dog checked out and bring a written list of the issues, because at least here in St. Louis, you can’t go in with your dog. Hence the written list will help your vet diagnose the issue(s).

Seriously, whats the logic behind that rule if i may ask? Sounds ignorant!

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:

I believe that rule is nationwide. To minimize COVID transmission.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
Yes, the .22 comment was in jest.

The dog gets some arthritis medicine in the morning and a pain medication in the evening.

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1366 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:

Agree. A 17 y/o dog is like a 100 y/o human.

Doggie dementia with a heaping load of general pain.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Pain, confusion, old age.

I'm not a vet but it sounds like it's time.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'd be biting at that age too.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:
quote:

Nope, not here in Central Florida. Just had my old man in for shots and I went in with him. Of course I had to wear the almighty mask. Roll Eyes
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Pain, confusion, old age.

I'm not a vet but it sounds like it's time.
Probably a pretty good guess.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:
quote:

Correct.

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
17 is up there for a dog. The dog is tired, probably angry sometimes and with the vision/hearing problems, scared. I'm with some other posters in that it may be time.
I've been there and it'll hurt like Hell as I'm sure you know.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Bob,

I sent an email to the address in your profile with some information for you.

Hope this helps you and your wife.

Kevin

Posts: 130 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Wow, central Fl is welcoming owners w pets? That’s the first place I’ve heard of it since this shit hit the fan, but I’m no expert.

All sincerity- it is difficult to decide when it’s time to go, but this pup sounds like he had a great life. At 17, with biting, pooping, peeing inappropriately, I would say it’s decision time. Talk to your vet. I had to euthanize my 17 yo girl last year around now.. she was doing the same things. Heartbreaking to say goodbye, but she wasn’t really happy here either. I wish you the best.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
It indeed sounds like aging and maladies have gotten the better of him. When you’re in a lot of pain, you get grumpy and/or angry. Humans do this as well. As others said, not a training issue but more of a needing of understanding and adjustment on your (and your wife’s) part and a good long discussion with a good vet. They may be able to ease his pain and mental decline some which might make it better for everyone. The urine and bowel problem is just that, a problem. He’d be in adult diapers if a human. You’ll have to adjust where he can go with the understanding that he can’t control them bathroom habits like he used to. Wish you guys the best.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my 17 yr old mini Aussie exhibits the same issues

he's senile, basically deaf except low frequencies, he sees in some in bright light aspects only, anything dim, he's basically blind now. If I could diagnose dementia in dogs I’d say he has it in mid stage

I make sure to tap the floor first before trying to pet him, if I do without doing so he's startled and will snip in the direction of what he feels

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post