SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I attended a naturalization ceremony in Fed District Court
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I attended a naturalization ceremony in Fed District Court Login/Join 
Administrator
posted
For those of you who were born US Citizens (like me), Naturalization is the official name for the process of becoming a US citizen. These are folks that came from somewhere lese and jumped through all the hoops and some of them waited in a really long line to get to the day of the ceremony.

The ceremony I attended is the final step for immigrants. Naturalization ceremonies can happen in different settings, but those in federal district courts are the most ceremonious.

Soon-to-be citizens swore an oath to, among other things, defend the US Constitution, take up arms in the US armed forces if called to do so, etc.

I had the distinct honor of being invited to sit in the jury box, while the soon-to-be-citizens sat in the area normally reserved for counsel tables and the well. So basically I was in front of them, off to the side (rather than behind them where their families were, in the gallery).

I can tell you now that there were few dry eyes and no knees on the floor during the oath-taking or pledge of allegiance. One old man, probably 60+ (no language proficiency requirement at that age) couldn't say anything but "thank you," but he said it a lot.

If you are a jus soli (birthright) citizen, I would strongly recommend attending a naturalization ceremony, if you get the chance. It's a good reminder that there are people who don't take citizenship and the rights they have for granted, maybe because they had to earn those rights, maybe because they've come from places that didn't recognize those rights, but they are all grateful to be here none-the-less.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
As a naturalised citizen I wholeheartedly echo your sentiments.

Cheers Wink

Posts: 832 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
I worked with the Immigration & Customs Enforcement folks for 10 years. Obviously, I saw the worst side of the Immigration debate in those cases.

I also attended a few of the Naturalization ceremonies organized by the Citizenship & Immigration Services folks. And in those ceremonies, I saw the best side of the Immigration debate.

The breakers of the Law versus the followers of the Law; no question who I’d want in my Country.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
I worked ten years ago with recently naturalized coworkers from Brazil, Lebanon, and Ukraine. They said very much the same things about the day they took their oath. To a person, they reset the Party of Klantifa giving away citizenship with no process or requirements attached.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
It's the one thing that is NEVER talked about in this whole immigration debate. That there is in fact a legal way to enter this country and have full rights as a citizen.

These immigrants that are doing this the right way are the ones I have compassion for. They are overlooked and shoved aside for those who would just as soon sit on their ass and will most likely have it handed to them.

These so called dreamers should be halfway down the path to citizenship instead of waiting for it to come to them.

To me that's how they should be dealt with. If you have been here for years and have taken no steps to become naturalized on your own you really don't belong here.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
One old man, probably 60+

Huh? Razz

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
A good friend and motorcycle riding buddy went through the process recently. He's a credit to this country and a great asset.

I was really pissed when I saw the facebook entry of his naturalization ceremony. I would have loved to be there.

One of the things he loves about this country is his 2A rights.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
They would hold naturalization ceremonies at the Masonic temple in San Francisco every year. I worked nearby and would see them as they came out, newly dubbed U.S. citizens. I'd congratulate as many as I could before returning to work.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by varoadking:
quote:

Huh? Razz
Yeah--he's still a kid....

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last year my daughter-in-law was naturalized in Las Vegas. She was supposed to let us know when the ceremony was to be held so we could be there but she didn't think it was a really big deal and didn't tell us about the ceremony. I really wanted to be there but such is life. We love her dearly anyway. She is Chinese from Hong Kong.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I remember my naturalization ceremony

it is NOT something that I will ever forget

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
About 15 years ago our family went to DC and on our way back we stopped at Monticello to tour. They happened to be doing a naturalization ceremony that day. It was great and there was hardly a dry eye anywhere to be seen. I've always been a huge proponent for LEGAL immigration.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I attended my Fiance’s Ceremony last year and it was a VERY moving moment. It certainly gives one a new perspective on how you can love legal immigrants and be totally against illegal immigration.

My Fiance’ immigrated here exactly like my ancestors did so. She did it LEGALLY. She never took 1 penny of government aid, worked and paid every cent of her taxes. Why is it too much to ask for others to do the same?

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by varoadking:
quote:

Huh? Razz
Yeah--he's still a kid....

flashguy

Ok, I deserved that. Wink

And I'll work hard at being a "kid" for as long as I damn well can! Big Grin

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
There's a big celebration at work whenever one of our workers get their citizenship.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34107 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
It's the one thing that is NEVER talked about in this whole immigration debate. That there is in fact a legal way to enter this country and have full rights as a citizen.

These immigrants that are doing this the right way are the ones I have compassion for. They are overlooked and shoved aside for those who would just as soon sit on their ass and will most likely have it handed to them.

These so called dreamers should be halfway down the path to citizenship instead of waiting for it to come to them.

To me that's how they should be dealt with. If you have been here for years and have taken no steps to become naturalized on your own you really don't belong here.

Well said

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
I remember attending my grandmothers naturalization in the late 1950's. We still have her "homework" from that process.

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
My mother went through the classes and got naturalized in the 70s. She was very proud of the accomplishment, as was I. She always said that she “got her papers”. My brother also got his papers,then later joined the Army. He became 100% disabled in SE Asia, and died of his injuries several years later. He often said he would go immediately back to active duty if he got the call. I have always been very proud of their accomplishment.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have met about a dozen that went through the process.
Maybe I am weird ,
but it sure seems like those choosing to do so, walk , talk and act different than those that do not choose to do so.

I perceive a definite distinction between the two .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amateur Astronomer
Picture of Test1968
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I have met about a dozen that went through the process.
Maybe I am weird , but it sure seems like those choosing to do so, walk , talk and act different than those that do not choose to do so.

I perceive a definite distinction between the two .

It's been a long time since I have been to one, it was a cousin's, before that, it was my own.

I also see a difference too, (maybe I am biased). When you have to earn something, rather than having it given to you, I think you do appreciate it more, maybe just because you remember the long wait, the work and effort that went into it. Or maybe that's just me.

Alcohol
Tobacco
Firearms

Who brought the chips and dip?

Jim

Posts: 14023 | Location: limbo | Registered: August 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post