SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daylight Savings Time Again..
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daylight Savings Time Again.. Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
I've not heard anyone, anywhere mention setting the clocks back. My brother mentioned it late last evening. I had 2 different times showing on my smarty phone so I done fixed one so they read the same. Did you run all over your house setting clocks back for this ? As a year has passed, IIRC it gets dark earlier and gets light later in the AM. Do I have that right ?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have an easier time with the "falling back" than the "springing forward." You get an extra hour of shuteye in the morning. But I still wish they would just pick one damned time and stick with it, like Arizona (except on the Navajo "rez").

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I have two wall clocks, a microwave, oven, and car clock that all need(ed) changing.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Daylight Savings Time Again..
DST ends, actually.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
IIRC it gets dark earlier and gets light later in the AM. Do I have that right ?

You shift everything back an hour, therefore it gets light earlier in the morning (the light you had at 7:00 AM last week you will have at 6:00 AM this week), and it gets dark earlier.

I just wish they would pick one and stick with it and quit going back and forth.

I only have a couple of devices that don't automatically update now - microwave and stove and vehicle clocks are about it.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Yup.....clocks screwed up but the dogs...the dogs weren’t happy getting fed an hour late today....they was giving me the ol’ hairy eyeball and such! Big Grin

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I have two wall clocks, a microwave, oven, and car clock that all need(ed) changing.
Oh the car clock. I completely over looked that.. Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bama for that. It just dont stick. Pretty much means its Winter again.

coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Daylight hours also shorten overall as the Earth approaches the winter solstice (typically December 21st or 22nd). After that they will start growing longer.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I had to change my oven and microwave. I don’t have any wall clocks.

I think I have some watches somewhere but I haven’t worn one in months. I think my car corrects itself.

My pets don’t follow DST.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
As a year has passed, IIRC it gets dark earlier and gets light later in the AM. Do I have that right ?

"Spring" forward 1 hour, "Fall" back 1 hour

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
It's a whole lot easier dealing with resetting DST these days, since most everything is done by computer. If your device has access to the Internet, the clocks set themselves: computers, phones, TV set-top boxes, thermostats, even cars (it's always a treat to see the clock in my Mercedes spin to the new time when it comes around!).

I did have the old oven and microwave that I had to reset. And my other car isn't as savvy as the Merc. But I woke up this morning and my bedroom digital clock was set without me having to do anything.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I thought this to be an interesting article, even if it is from the NY Slimes paper. You can click the link to see a map illustration of the “doughnut” referred to.

Have an Extra Hour? Try Passing Through the ‘Daylight Saving Doughnut’
Clocks will fall back in 48 U.S. states on Sunday, but not in Arizona, which is home to one of the more peculiar quirks of the daylight saving system.

Nov. 2, 2019

Joshua and Hannah Bowman were driving through northeast Arizona on a cross-country road trip a few years ago, after deciding to move to California from Massachusetts. They had left Four Corners, safely taking U.S. Route 160 as evening rolled in, when something strange started happening on their phones.

“We saw that we were changing time zones fairly quickly,” Mr. Bowman said. “The twilight added a little bit to the mystery.”

Without knowing it, they had entered the Daylight Saving Doughnut.

It’s that time again — daylight saving time ends at 2 a.m. Sunday, when clocks are turned back one hour. And while most people in the United States get to enjoy an extra hour of sleep, confident their phones will attend to the task of winding back the clock, two states — Arizona and Hawaii — will not “fall back” because they did not “spring forward.”

But what does that have to do with doughnuts?

O.K., not all of Arizona holds out on daylight saving. In the northeastern quarter of the state, the Navajo Nation observes the time change in the spring.
But the Hopi Nation, which is encircled by Navajo territory, does not, making it the figurative “doughnut hole.”

The Navajo Nation is semiautonomous, with the power to set its own time system. Since the Navajo reservation extends into neighboring states that recognize daylight saving time — Utah and New Mexico — the nation decided to follow suit to keep the same time throughout its land.

“That means every summer, you have the Hopi Reservation with standard time, surrounded by the Navajo Reservation with daylight time, surrounded by the state of Arizona in standard time,” said David Prerau, a time policy expert and the author of “Seize the Daylight.”

“It is a very interesting, and confusing situation, and they’ve had that for years.”

The time change on Sunday brings everyone to standard time.

Who decided the rules for daylight saving time to begin with?

To understand how we got to where we are, we have to turn back time to the years after World War II, when there was no uniform national system.
At one point, there were 23 different pairs of daylight saving start and end dates in the state of Iowa. There was also a bus route that ran between Moundsville, W. Va., and Steubenville, Ohio, that saw passengers changing time zones seven times in only a 35-mile stretch.

“Anybody could do what they wanted,” Dr. Prerau said. “You had a lot of unusual circumstances.”

But in 1966 Congress established the Uniform Time Act, which standardized daylight saving time across the country. Any state could exempt itself, and Arizona opted out of the law in 1967.

Why did Arizona get rid of it?

If you ask an Arizonan, they’ll probably tell you it’s all about energy conservation.

“It’s not unique to Arizona culturally, it’s more geographic,” said Calvin Schermerhorn, a professor of history at Arizona State University.

Arizona’s most populated areas, around Tucson and Phoenix, are very, very hot in the summer, and an extra hour of daylight to stay outdoors was not an incentive. Rather, the best time to go outside is often after the sun goes down.

“Instead of saving fuel, daylight saving time saw more fuel being spent on air conditioning, because of the extra hour of daylight” at the end of the day, Professor Schermerhorn said.

But even now, there are those who would rather see Arizona follow daylight saving time. Many issues arise while traveling to, from or through the state. Businesses have complained of difficulties coordinating with their national or global branches. Communication is a problem, with many missed calls.
“It puts Arizona out of sync with everybody else,” Dr. Prerau said.

Are any other states going to make the change?

Hawaii’s choice against observing daylight saving time causes less disruption than Arizona’s given that it is isolated from other states and near the Equator, where the sunrises and sunsets don’t vary much.

Several overseas territories, including American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the United States Virgin Islands also do not observe daylight saving time.

And many other states are pushing to drop daylight saving time all together. Over the past few years states including Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, Alaska, Texas, Utah and Washington have pushed back against daylight saving time.

But others have fought to permanently stay in daylight saving time. Proposals have been filed in Florida, Idaho, Oregon and New Mexico.

“We’re marching away from that uniformity, which could wreak havoc on all the systems that rely on synchronized time,” Professor Schermerhorn said.

There is support for getting rid of the time changes. Seven in 10 Americans would rather not have to switch their clocks twice a year, according to a poll by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research released this week.

What is less clear is whether they want to stay on standard time year round, or daylight time. Four in 10 Americans would like to stay on standard time, the poll found, while about three in 10 prefer full-time daylight time.

Even if everyone was on the same page with daylight saving, there would still be temporal fissures across the nation, with 14 states split by two different time zones. There are even some instances of towns which recognize time zones unofficially, such as Kenton, Okla., in the western edge of the Panhandle. Officially, it’s on Central Time, but the town informally follows Mountain Time to be in sync with New Mexico, which is only three miles away.

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/1...g-time-doughnut.html

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I think daylight savings time is nice since you can work outside a lot longer.

Us retired people don't get up until 10 AM.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Our power went out for a bit on Wed nite, so several of them needed to be reset anyway.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
Yup.....clocks screwed up but the dogs...the dogs weren’t happy getting fed an hour late today....they was giving me the ol’ hairy eyeball and such! Big Grin

Yep, my 2 big dogs alway need/want to go outside at 8:00 pm. Tonight, they were dancing around at 7:00. Whats wrong with them?

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
This is when I go into my SAD depression. I HATE that it gets dark at 5:00 pm. Who in the hell would be for that?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I think daylight savings time is nice since you can work outside a lot longer.

Us retired people don't get up until 10 AM.

Speak for yourself. The early bird gets the worm. If you want a worm for some reason.

Wink

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:

Yep, my 2 big dogs alway need/want to go outside at 8:00 pm. Tonight, they were dancing around at 7:00. Whats wrong with them?

I tried explaining to my Lab why she was being fed an hour later yesterday but she wasn't buying it and thinks the whole time change thing is stupid. Then when I went out to the barn I had to listen to a bunch of crap from the horses about being late. Our animals know.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Daylight Savings Time Again..
DST ends, actually.

Oh really? Didn't notice. Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post