SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How out raged would you be? ( car wreck)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How out raged would you be? ( car wreck) Login/Join 
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Around here, the take your social security number if you have a crime to report. They use it as an ID for the report.

Also when I sent in for a copy of the report for insurance purposes, they sent the copy through the mail without blanking out the SS#.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Does Illinois law enforcement still take cash bonds on the street? They use to take your license but I think they can now take a bond card? It's been a long time since I lived there and I am unclear

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
About 10 years ago I was on business travel in San Antonio, TX.

Was involved in an accident. Police asked for my insurance card. I told him I didn't have it because this was a rental car.

He said the car would be towed to the pound. I called the rental company by cell phone and they told me there was a slip of paper in the glove compartment that stated the car was insured. Showed that to the officer and he accepted it.

Posts: 19505 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
the county l.e.o. comes and the driver at fault can provide no s.s.#, no lic., no ins., no registration, but signs an $800.00 ticket and then all go on their own way.

That is a large part of why my car insurance was so high in Phoenix. Here it is about one third of that.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Happens here quite a bit, foreigners rent cars, don't get the insurance, cause wrecks, fly back home and never pay.
It has been many, many, years since I used rental cars, since I have not traveled for work for a few decades.

My memory might be faulty, but my recollection is that liability insurance is always provided by the rental company. The optional insurance if for damage to the rental car.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
they sent the copy through the mail without blanking out the SS#.

they won't blank yours out but they should blank all others. We blanked SS numbers and phone numbers. out.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
you are driving your 2017 ford edge w/ 33,000 miles on it, on a two lane highway. on a sunny clear day at 10 a.m.

The a guy, not from this country, side swipes you from bumper to bumper.

the county l.e.o. comes and the driver at fault can provide no s.s.#, no lic., no ins., no registration, but signs an $800.00 ticket and then all go on their own way. Eek Eek

Now, I was not there , it happened to a neighbor,
I don't know what came up on the l.e.o.'s computer ,
but shouldn't the car have been impounded until everything gets sorted out ?
I don't know how it works in Illinois, but the States I've lived and worked in the vehicle would be impounded. There's no way an unlicensed driver, without proof of insurance, and no current registration for the vehicle, would be allowed to drive the vehicle away.

Again, I don't know the laws in Illinois, but I have a hard time believing the story as told.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched a a grass cutter in phoenix pull out a wad of bills when he and his lawn care trailer clipped a car on a city street.

he begged the other driver not to call the cops, and asked How much ?

the guy said $3,200.00 ,
the mexican counted it out , it was about a tenth of the giant wad , in his pocket.

all went their own way

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Life in a blue state.
The criminals are the victims, the good guys are the bad guys, even if they can't explain why.

Roll Eyes

Really? And it NEVER happens in your state? You cant possibly be that dumb.

Statements like these are getting old.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Diplomatic immunity?

Was it this guy?

Posts: 1141 | Location: Phila Area | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Bendable, What the officer did, or didn't do, is dictated by state law and Dept. policy. We do have some discretion, but it must be exercised within law and policy. Not like in the movies, where cops seem to be able to do whatever they want, on or off-duty.....

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
When you are the victim of those who don't follow the rules of society, they will win every time and you are left to just suck it up.

Been the victim of an uninsured, non licensed illegal several times and the police have just let them drive off with a citation every time.

The law is ineffective and have more pressing things to attend to like using you for revenue generation at the slightest infraction.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Instant impound here. You won't get your car back till proof of insurance is shown. I don't know what they're doing with illegals now.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
This year a WSP officer on I-5 investigated an accident. Collecting information, she ran a background check for things like warrants. One guy turned up as not only an illegal but with an ICE warrant. She then called ICE and they picked him up. Guy had been repeatedly deported but returned. He had a drivers license but nobody checked if he was on the voting roles.
The officer was reprimanded for not following policy. She shouldn't have contacted ICE or waited until the arrived.
Sounds a bit similar to your case. The officer may well have known the guy was an illegal and didn't want press things.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The state can't impound your car without affording you due process for merely being in a wreck. A roadside police investigation is not that. Your friend claims it was the other guy's fault, but the government doesn't know that.

Having no license or proof of insurance makes it different.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Life in a blue state.
The criminals are the victims, the good guys are the bad guys, even if they can't explain why.

Roll Eyes

Really? And it NEVER happens in your state? You cant possibly be that dumb.

Statements like these are getting old.

Oh ye of greater intellect, where did you see me make that statement (never happens in my state)?
I was commenting on the original post where a driver at fault without a license, registration, insurance or ID was allegedly allowed to drive away in his car after receiving just a ticket.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I had a similar situation when working in Ann Arbor back in the mid-1970's. Uninsured motorist took the left side off my car (a nice MGB), cop gave him a ticket and he was never seen again.

Repairs got delayed due to his disappearance, it was nine months before I got it back. Poor repair job as well, but that's another rant.

Uninsured Motorist coverage sounds good, but the victim ends up paying the deductible, as well.

Michigan state accident reports have a box for insurance company name but not a policy number, at least in 2004, it may have been changed since. Try filing for a Mini-Tort claim for deductible reimbursement without it. Insurance company agents and adjusters at least in the case of Farmers Insurance will not give it to you, the claimant.

The agent and adjuster both told me to contact the policy holder to get that information and I blew up at that idea. Their at fault policy holder was 2 1/2 times legally intoxicated and had a loaded rifle in the passenger compartment and was lodged in the county jail over the weekend for that little escapade. And I'm gonna call him and tell him he needs to supply me with his policy number?

And a week after the crash he still had not filed a report with his insurance carrier to boot. That little tip I got from the agent I originally contacted, gee wonder why?

After my threat or promise to contact the state insurance commission the claim was finally filed.

Probably all the insurance companies are the same but solicitation I get from Farmers goes into the shredder immediately because of that fiasco.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
How raged would YOU be BENDABLE?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
they sent the copy through the mail without blanking out the SS#.

they won't blank yours out but they should blank all others. We blanked SS numbers and phone numbers. out.

There were no other SS# to blank out. I was just reporting property damage. The report could have gone in the neighbors mailbox.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post