SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dallas Mayor Pro Tem urges NRA to find a new home for their convention
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dallas Mayor Pro Tem urges NRA to find a new home for their convention Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
DALLAS, Texas (KTRK) -- A leader in Dallas politics does not want the National Rifle Association to meet in his city.

Mayor Pro Tem Dwaine Caraway is urging the NRA to find a new home for its annual convention.

He says the meeting is not appropriate in Dallas in the wake of last week's school shooting in Florida.

Caraway also points to the past tragedies in Dallas, including the 2016 ambush that killed five Dallas officers, and the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

"It is a tough call when you ask the NRA to reconsider coming to Dallas. But it is putting all citizens first and getting them to come to the table and elected officials to come to the table and to address this madness now," said Caraway.

The NRA's annual meeting is set to take place in Dallas at the Kay Bailey Hutchinson convention center from May 4 through May 6.

The meeting is supposed to include firearms exhibits where ammunition sales are permitted, but firearm sales are not.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Dickhead mayor Wellington Web ran us out of Denver after Columbine, like we had anything to do with that. I thought Texas was just a bit more gun friendly.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
#1, the Vice mayor can suck a dick

#2, the vice mayor isn't the mayor of Dallas so see #1

#3, the vice mayor isn't an elected official from Parkland, Florida, so see #1

#4, the vice mayor gave Michael Vick the keys to the city {Dallas} after his dog fighting conviction so see #1

#5, the NRA already responded
quote:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Isn't this the same guy that gets physical with his wife quite a bit? I hope the NRA has the show anyways.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Dickhead mayor Wellington Web ran us out of Denver after Columbine, like we had anything to do with that. I thought Texas was just a bit more gun friendly.

TX big cities are controlled by commies, now. Only a matter of time before this state turns blue. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
The vice mayor is just a city councilman acting as mayor temporarily. The guy's complaining about having to deal with demonstrators in a way that sounds a lot more like threatening that there will be demonstrators - and no, or insufficient, DPD.

He's also doing this twelve days before the event, so, you know what? I don't think he actually expects the NRA to relocate the convention.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news...-new-home-convention

No, if this guy's got any kind of real pull, I think he's just got a chip on his shoulder and he's serving notice that he's actually looking for opportunities to be a jerk.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Caraway is the genius who gave a key to the city to Michael Vick after he got out of federal prison.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
The vice mayor is just a city councilman acting as mayor temporarily. The guy's complaining about having to deal with demonstrators in a way that sounds a lot more like threatening that there will be demonstrators - and no, or insufficient, DPD.
No, he is the guy who is preselected in case the mayor steps down. Caraway was previously mayor pro tem and then stepped in when the mayor ran for senate.

Mike Rawlings is the Mayor of Dallas.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
"Look at me, look at me"
"Look look.... look at me"

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:

Isn't this the typical antifa response? Say not to come, try to extort money for "protection" and blame those that just want to assemble in peace. Then, bus in the thugs for the "spontaneous demonstrations" and hold back the police.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Well if antifa or any other mask wearing left wing pussies are planning on showing up they should know that the NRA does not prohibit its attendees from carrying firearms to the show. So they’d better be real careful who they swing their little batons at.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

He's also doing this twelve days before the event, so, you know what? I don't think he actually expects the NRA to relocate the convention.

May 4th - 6th, not March 4th - 6th.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Hey "Dwaine", bite my ass.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
#1, the Vice mayor can suck a dick

#2, the vice mayor isn't the mayor of Dallas so see #1

#3, the vice mayor isn't an elected official from Parkland, Florida, so see #1

#4, the vice mayor gave Michael Vick the keys to the city {Dallas} after his dog fighting conviction so see #1

#5, the NRA already responded
quote:

Meet the vice mayor....

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
^^^pretty much exactly what I figured.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the NRA did move the convention to another city, would the Mayor Pro Tem write a check for all the revenue his city lost?

Sounds like an irresponsible, arrogant, blowhard.

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Is this him in a former life??? Or on a "wild" Saturday night perhaps??

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

He says the meeting is not appropriate in Dallas in the wake of last week's school shooting in Florida.

Caraway also points to the past tragedies in Dallas, including the 2016 ambush that killed five Dallas officers, and the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

"It is a tough call when you ask the NRA to reconsider coming to Dallas. But it is putting all citizens first and getting them to come to the table and elected officials to come to the table and to address this madness now," said Caraway.

What in God's name is this idiot going on about? What does the NRA have to do with any of that? Seriously. I mean, the assassination of JFK? What?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

What in God's name is this idiot going on about? What does the NRA have to do with any of that? Seriously. I mean, the assassination of JFK? What?

Because guns.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It's going to be fun in Dallas this year.
I'll bee there! Cool

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post