SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seat Covers? Neoprene okay? 2003 Jeep Liberty (pic)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seat Covers? Neoprene okay? 2003 Jeep Liberty (pic) Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted
2003 Jeep Liberty:

One spot on the driver's seat is showing through to the foam. The passenger bucket and bench backseat are good as new.

I don't know of any repair method other than a professional and don't want to sink a ton of bucks into an '03 vehicle.

So, I'm looking online at replacement seat covers and leaning toward CalTrend and Coverking offerings.

Neoprene seems to be a popular replacement but I have some questions about it.
-How are they in cold winters and boiling summers?
- Are they prone to hold static?
- How do they handle normal/casual dirt and debris?
- What am I not asking that I need to know about Neoprene replacement seat covers?
- Oh, and I have a couple of medium size dogs I transport around a few times a year. How do Neoprene seat covers get along with pets?

I'm not limiting myself to the mentioned choices. Recommendations greatly appreciated. Thanks !!! Smile

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not know how comfortable it would be sitting on Neoprene. I used neoprene gloves when I worked with caustic chemicals. It held up well but was pretty slippery.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Also wondering about expected durability of neoprene as a driving surface. Bottom line is I question if I'll be happy with neoprene seat covers or not, as compared to OEM cloth.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I bought "Neosupreme" covers from Coverking and my experience was poor. The velcro on the cargo pants I wore for work, wore a hole in the seat cover fairly quickly getting in and out. My experience with customer service was odd at best. I tries several times to BUY a new lower half in neoprene because I figured it would be stronger. The first two or three inquiries went unanswered.("I'm trying to give you money and you won't take it?!?") Finally I said screw you, okay replace it. Which they did. The whole seat cover, upper and lower. Replaced it with the original Neopsupreme, which lasted an even shorter period of time.

I replaced them this January with real neoprene ones. I spent my money elsewhere though after dealing with Coverking. So I've only had them six months, mot long at all, but so far so good. One complaint you hear is that they're hot... which I was going to say I haven't found, but I realized it hasn't really been all that hot here yet this year.

The main point of my post being... don't buy Neosupreme ones.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Two words: "Wet Okole." Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My experience with various types of seat covers has led me to just go to an auto upholstery shop and have the damaged part of the seat reupholstered. Most of the time on older cars and trucks than you are dealing with.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I bought Wet Okole the second time around. I will say the Coverking ones fit better.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
My experience with various types of seat covers has led me to just go to an auto upholstery shop and have the damaged part of the seat reupholstered. Most of the time on older cars and trucks than you are dealing with.

The problem is....
the old time auto re-upholstery shops don't want to work on newer cars. They have to take out the seats. They are afraid of blowing an airbag when they do so.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
Neoprene seems to be a popular replacement but I have some questions about it.
-How are they in cold winters and boiling summers?
I've been using neoprene seat covers since 2000, in a wide variety of conditions, including -10F winters, and 95F+ summers. They are a hell of a lot more comfortable than leather, or that god awful vinyl that was popular in the 70s and 80s.
quote:

- Are they prone to hold static?
Nope.
quote:

- How do they handle normal/casual dirt and debris?
Quite well. I got them to keep a lot more than normal/casual dirt off the seats, and they are great. Wet/muddy dog? No problem. Snow and ice from skiing? No problem. Drunk friend spilling a margarita in the back seat? No problem. 1 year old puking? No problem. Still sweating buckets after a hard workout? No problem. I take them out at least once a year and hose them off, let them hang to dry, and put them back. Things like the margarita and the puking toddler, are what cause me to it more than annually.
quote:

- Oh, and I have a couple of medium size dogs I transport around a few times a year. How do Neoprene seat covers get along with pets?
My 60# Golden Retriever does fine, the previous one did fine, and a wide variety of other dogs I've had on them over the years also did fine. Again, much better than slippery leather.
quote:
I'm not limiting myself to the mentioned choices. Recommendations greatly appreciated. Thanks !!! Smile
The OEM Nissan ones I got in 2000 finally got a small year in the driver's side cover after 13 years. The custom Wet Okole ones which were much more expensive than the Nissan ones, are starting to have problems after 5 years. However they looked phenomenal for those first five years. Most people didn't realize that they weren't factory upholstery.

If you're not worried about looks, I would just get the neoprene seat covers that they have at Costco. I've been using them in my work vehicles for years, and used them to replace the worn out front seat covers in the Nissan. They are $20-$25 for a pair. They won't fool anyone into believing it's factory upholstery, but they will do what you need for a tiny fraction of the cost of other options. My wife wanted the look of the Wet Okole, and they looked nice, and we did get five years out of them, but for me I would just go with the cheapies from Costco.

https://www.costco.com/Wetsuit...oduct.100403694.html

The site shows them as $25, for a pair, but my local Costco has had them for $20 the last two months.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Dang, if you were up here, we'd use my industrial upholstery machines and sew in new panels.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Two words: "Wet Okole." Wink

This.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gascan
posted Hide Post
The problem with neoprene seatcovers is that they don’t breath, at all. Depending how hot the summer gets where you live, your butt and back may get pretty sweaty; in the south they call it swamp-ass.
The more expensive ones like Wet Okole may be designed a bit better as far as air circulation goes, I don’t know. But at that price point, you could get your whole seat reupholstered. I personally use Cabelas seat covers:

https://www.cabelas.com/produc...YvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Despite being universal, they fit pretty well and the canvas material isn’t tissue-paper thin. Overall, best bang for my buck when I was searching for seat covers and I’ll buy them again if need be.

Posts: 135 | Location: Sunny St. Pete | Registered: March 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post