SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boyan Slat Unveils the Ocean Cleanup Interceptor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boyan Slat Unveils the Ocean Cleanup Interceptor Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Great idea.

He said it’s powered by solar and batteries, but I’m pretty sure that the flux capacitor that’s mounted next to the control panel is powered by a trash fed Mr. Fusion.

Posts: 728 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I was hoping to see these things do something with the garbage, like shred it into a useful aggregate or something.

What happens to the bins? Who collects them? Who's responsible for the massive amounts of garbage that's collected? What if it's not recyclable? Who pays for all the maintenance and collection?

I watched the video when this first dropped on the internet somewhere, and I was left with a lot of questions about practicality, especially in the locations where there are, even now, no resources for garbage collection.

It's an awesome invention though, and in terms of throwing aid money around the world at corrupt governments, I'd rather borrow money from China to do this than send it to a place like the Netherlands.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I don’t understand why we can’t just openly name all the countries that are doing a lions share of the dumping into the seas; the map is clear as a bell that first world countries are by and large miles ahead of the rest of the world in NOT doing it. Are our leaders so riddled with white guilt that they can’t even call a spade a spade?

We’re past the point of trying not to hurt people’s feelings at the expense of the planet. Fuck their feelings.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
How about just intercepting the trash in the rivers?

While the thread title doesn't mention rivers, rivers are the main thrust of the article. The interceptors would go in the targeted rivers.
quote:
Working with government leaders and private corporations, the team plans to install Interceptors in the 1,000 most-polluted rivers within the next five years.

Posts: 15024 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KDR:
Great idea.

He said it’s powered by solar and batteries, but I’m pretty sure that the flux capacitor that’s mounted next to the control panel is powered by a trash fed Mr. Fusion.

It took twenty replies before someone noticed the flux capacitor?!?!

That's what stood out about the whole video to me. That and the fact that we have a map of those who are to blame. Crazy idea, force worst offenders to start and enforce trash collection. Instead they are trying to take my grocery bags and drinking straws.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
What Can You Do About Plastic Pollution?

While technology like the Interceptor is an encouraging step forward, each and every one of us has a responsibility and share the burden for putting an end to plastic pollution. Below is a sampling of strategies that can help:

Don't use plastic bags — use reusable bags

Make sure the items you recycle are recyclable (See this list.)

Use reusable shopping bags for groceries

Take your own leftovers container to restaurants

Bring your own mug for coffee, and bring drinking water from home in glass water bottles instead of buying bottled water

Request no plastic wrap on your newspaper and dry cleaning

Store foods in glass containers or mason jars rather than plastic containers and plastic freezer bags

Avoid disposable utensils and straws and buy foods in bulk when you can

Opt for non-disposable razors, washable feminine hygiene products for women, cloth diapers, handkerchiefs instead of paper tissues, rags in lieu of paper towels and infant toys made of wood rather than plastic

Avoid processed foods (which are stored in plastic bags with chemicals). Buy fresh produce instead, and forgo the plastic bags

OR YOU COULD PUT YOUR PLASTICS AND TRASH INTO THE APPROPRIATE TRASHCAN.

our grocery bag is not a problem if you don't throw it in the street/river. In fact there is a strong argument that reusable bags are worse for environment than disposable (which I reuse for kitty litter).

Here's the dirty little secret all the celebs and dogooders don't tell you. If you don't pollute, your trash does not end up in the ocean. The act of drinking a bottle of water has zero effect on oceanic pollution, it's how you dispose of it. Americans actually use trash and recycling bins and are not contributing to the trash patch

So fuck off greenies and go to China, India, Indonesia, and S. American if you want to fix the problem.

I applaud this guy's effort, but the end of the article is complete bullshit.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I don’t understand why we can’t just openly name all the countries that are doing a lions share of the dumping into the seas; the map is clear as a bell that first world countries are by and large miles ahead of the rest of the world in NOT doing it. Are our leaders so riddled with white guilt that they can’t even call a spade a spade?

We’re past the point of trying not to hurt people’s feelings at the expense of the planet. Fuck their feelings.

"We" can openly name the problem, even if the rest of the world wants to ban straws. Note that in neither China nor Indonesia is it even safe to drink the tap water, visitors are advised to always drink bottled water.

I'm not sure what the "first world" is to do - the same as the US cannot be the world's policeman, cannot enforce democracy, we also cannot be the world's garbageman, the world's water supplier, nor pay to clean up the stack emissions of China's and India's coal plants.

There is no easy solution. We can hope that the rest of the world gets its' shit together...

http://thedailychrenk.com/2019...dgaf-left-oblivious/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pretty cool project; given that the plastic void in the Pacific Ocean isn’t exactly a new occurrence, I’m a little amazed our species hasn’t done something viable to deal with it up to this point. Of course the biggest concern for me is the number of people that just don’t give a shit to the point that they don’t properly dispose of their trash in the first place. You can’t drive down a single well traveled road in America without seeing trash in varying amounts. Cigarette butt tossers are the worst.

^^^^^^
Much agree with your thoughts. Even the most obnoxious trasher in the US, cannot hold a candle to the trashers in other countries such as Mexico.

Just saddens me that some twit thinks the purpose of a bottle, can or bag is to toss it out of a car window.

There was a PBS program I watched last week about Plastic, and how its invaded and changed the complexion of our planet, wildlife (for the worse) and our lives....we are ingesting much more plastic than you think.

And that garbage patch in the ocean is larger than ,,,Texas.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A Roomba for the oceans

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Instead they are trying to take my grocery bags and drinking straws.

They have to show you who’s in charge.
Same thing with PC speech newspeak.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
When I was in Shang Hai, along the river it weas loaded with trash, too thin to walk on; too thick to drink through a straw.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Much agree with your thoughts. Even the most obnoxious trasher in the US, cannot hold a candle to the trashers in other countries such as Mexico.

Don't know about that. Three weeks ago Hwy 93 between Whitefish and Kalispell MT while stopped at a light, car ahead of me in the adjacent lane. The passenger door opened and the occupant deposited a McDonald's bag full of trash on the highway. Everybody around them started honking and yelling. Did as much good as you would expect.

Posts: 767 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:

We can and do...it's just that so many Americans think the world revolves around them and can't get their stupid minds to realize that banning plastic straws and all the other meaningless feel good measures don't put a dent into this until Asia gets their act together.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
A Roomba for the oceans

Needs a cat sitting on it, then you've got something.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis