SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Washer not spin drying clothes - update: Question re: timer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Washer not spin drying clothes - update: Question re: timer? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm not very capable which is why I envy the skills you guys have. I am trying to learn as I go where I can because:

1) Most stuff that I have are probably at the age where I fix or replace
2) I have a limited budget (even though I do try to buy some 'fun' things)
3) I just bought a set of tires for the car ($700)
4) I'm hoping to buy a fun thing (the used 4runner for about $15k)

Sometimes it would be nice to just go buy new. And will bite the bullet if it comes to it. But if possible, I'd like to try to fix something because it impresses the wife, it saves money and I learn something (which is hard to do at my age). Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Okay -- I'm forcing the Door Lock Spin Enable switch to active and running a cycle. I think this switch works so if the Spin Dry works, then the problem is upstream of the switch (wax motor?) and not some parallel logic. Right?

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
No joy.

It seemed to spin up a bit but just briefly. The timer is making funny crackling noises. I'm not sure how long the Spin cycle is supposed to be but the timer seems to move quickly from the last rinse (#3) to Off through the Spin cycle.

Perhaps the timer is breaking?

Maybe, last ditch, I'll try to find a timer. If it's easy and cheap to get, I'll try to replace it. If not, then the search is on for a replacement washer.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Well, when using the washer as-is, this morning, everything worked fine again.

The timer stopped making the crackling noises and the Spin cycle lasted a good duration (more than the 15-30 seconds it was before when the crackling noises were also present).

So, I'm thinking about trying to buy the timer module and replacing it ($150?).

Question: does anybody know what the blue mark means on the dial in the lower right? Is that factory set? Or do I need to do some sort of tuning? If the latter does anybody know what it is and how to do it?