SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Washer not spin drying clothes - update: Question re: timer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Washer not spin drying clothes - update: Question re: timer? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I have this Maytag Neptune (about 17+ years old). Always worked well for me so I guess it's about time to fix something.

I goes through the wash cycle, rinse cycle, drains the water but then doesn't spin dry. At least not that I can hear. does it on both the Regular and Normal/Timed side of the dial.

Is there some timer component that needs to be replaced? I'm guess the belt (if there is one) is okay since it seems to spin for the wash cycle). Or something else?

Help? What should I check for fixing? Parts source if needed?

ETA model number: MAH4000AWQ

This message has been edited. Last edited by: konata88,

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I had one that the clothes would still be dripping wet. It did spin but not fast enough. The clutch had worn out. A few bucks and a little work and it worked like new again.

No idea if that's you issue but I would check it out.

Hopefully Brad will be along and know exactly what to look for.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Sounds like me.

I found this page but seems to suggest a list of parts based on the symptoms. But I'm not sure how to troubleshoot -- prefer not to buy all the parts and replace everything. (and especially still not have it work Smile).

http://www.partselect.com/Adva...asterID=15464&PID=26

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try jumping the lid switch. This is usually the first step in diagnosing why it won't spin, you should be able to just jump the wires.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Is it possible the load was unbalanced? My washer becomes unbalanced all the time, and leaves the clothes wet.

It happens more often with small loads.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Lid switch. I'll try that. There is a door lock indicator that is on until the door can be opened: related?

I tried two loads; one medium load. Seems like it didn't even try to spin up.

Absolutely Positively-
Retired
Picture of ace73
posted Hide Post
quote:
MAH4000AWQ

Check here......https://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHelp/Washing-Machine-Repair/11-4-92327-/Maytag-Washing-Machine-MAH4000AWQ-Troubleshooting

Posts: 1182 | Location: Detroit/Downriver | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Look on the controller board for a burnt resistor. R300 i think?

Had one of those washers and it would fry the resistor about ever four year. Finally got fed up and bought a Samsung set off craigslist

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Our Neptune would get about four years to a circuit board. We were on number three when it started to act up.

Neptune was replaced by Bosch units.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I guess I'll have to open up and check the circuit board for burnt components? If not visually obvious, not sure I have the skills do troubleshoot.

Hopefully I can find the problem and fix it. Buying a new washer will hurt my wallet noticeably now.

posted Hide Post
Trouble shooting electrical is not that hard, get a multi meter and just google how to OHM parts.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
As I considered checking the circuit board, I remembered that I had done this some time back (15 years ago?). I had replaced a resistor and some other component along with the wax motor (still don't know what a wax motor is).

Since the Door Locked indicator comes on, this is suggesting a mechanical issue with the wax motor not hitting some switch. #7 on the FAQ.

Any thoughts? How do I test the wax motor travel once I have this disassembled?

http://www.neptunehelp.com/index_files/Page704.htm

http://www.neptunehelp.com/index_files/Page323.htm

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at the wax motor. Seems okay visually. How do I check if it's working properly?

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I just had some problem with a different brand and it was the door lock assembly, would not final spin.

Hope you get it figured out.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Looking at the components, the R11 and Q6 I replaced before looks fine (to me). Thoughts?

If these parts look fine, the wax motor looks fine, not sure what I should try next.

David, thanks... What fixed your problem? Did you replace the door latch assembly?

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Remember, I'm a novice. I think I tested for continuity for this switch. I put the negative on one pole, touched the same with the positive lead and got tone. Put the positive lead on the other pole and no tone, whether the switch is pushed in or not.

I moved the negative lead to the other pole, touched the same pole with with the positive lead and got tone. Repeated with the other pole and no tone whether the switch was pushed in or not.

So, I think the switch is dead.

Question: if this switch is bad, how does that result in the washer running, the door lock indicator light turned on but just no spin dry cycle? Seems like if the Door Locked is on, the the presumption is that the door is also closed, yes?

Should I find the part and replace it? Or is it a red herring?

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Just looked through my box of old boards, don't have one for your washer.

Did you use the tech sheet up in the control panel area to diagnose the washer?

If the burnt area around the J11 is from the previous failure, I would be looking at motor circuit issues.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Hi Brad -- thanks much for stopping by. Smile

Yes, the burnt area around R11 is from the prior failure when I replaced R11 and Q6.

I found the tech sheet. I thought it was just circuit diagrams (which are generally greek to me) but after you mentioned it, I opened it up and on the backside were some troubleshooting tips Smile

From the tech sheet (below), even though the Door Locked light does come on, I checked continuity across Door Lock Spin Enable Switch (the switch with the yellow and 2 red wires to the right of the brown wax motor in the pic above) and it's working when the switch is depressed. And then I continuity from the Door Lock Spin Enable Switch to the Machine Control Terminal P3-7 and it's fine. (Assumption here is that the wax motor is still functional.

Can I tape the Door Lock Spin Enabled switch so that it's closed? Will that help pinpoint the problem and also let me use the washer until the problem is fixed? Or is that a bad idea? The door lock light does come on and the door does lock closed while in operation.

posted Hide Post
If you are not capable of fixing the washer yourself, why don't you just call a repairman and pay the money rather than wasting days of your time trying to figure it out? Some things you just have to know when to say when and call a professional.

posted Hide Post
Given it's age, I'd just go buy a brand new one for $400 +/- and call it a day.......