SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you've never listened to MacArthur receiving the Thayer award...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you've never listened to MacArthur receiving the Thayer award... Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
This is 33 minutes well worth your time today, even though the speech was given in 1962.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
He was an egotistical, crazy m-f. Caused thousands of American military personnel to be killed for money and his power. Not worth my time.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
He was an egotistical, crazy m-f. Caused thousands of American military personnel to be killed for money and his power. Not worth my time.

I hear you, but review a transcript of this speech and you might have a different perspective on some of his motivations, and the relevance to today.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting.

Silent

Posts: 1019 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:

I hear you, but review a transcript of this speech and you might have a different perspective on some of his motivations, and the relevance to today.

From the speech:
And what sort of soldiers are those you are to lead? Are they reliable? Are they brave? Are they capable of victory? Their story is known to all of you. It is the story of the American man-at-arms.
My estimate of him was formed on the battlefield many, many years ago, and has never changed. I regarded him then as I regard him now -- as one of the world's noblest figures, not only as one of the finest military characters, but also as one of the most stainless.

MacArthur {ptui!} must have gained this profound respect for America's fighting men sometime after the summer of '32.
I bet the "Bonus Army" had a slightly different view.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
He wanted to be a king.

To hell with him.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
"Oh, yes. I studied dramatics under him for 12 years." -- Dwight Eisenhower

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
82 years old, failing health, no notes, no teleprompter. One of the greatest speeches in American rhetorical history.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
In public life MacArthur was very much "God, family, country; duty an honor". In his private life he was a very different person.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
It is possible to separate respect for what he says from the view of his actions

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:

I bet the "Bonus Army" had a slightly different view.
MacArthur was a selfish self centered prick, but so was every member of the "Bonus Army."

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
He is entombed in Norfolk, VA. It is worth a visit. Near the end of my walk-through in the early 90's, I came to his mausoleum, or whatever you call it. There were two spaces. His was all dolled up, the other was plain bare. I found one of the employees there and asked them what the other tomb was for.

"His wife."

Well, I misunderstood. I thought it odd that his was all duly decorated, and hers was spartan with nothing. I asked him why that was.

"Because she is still alive."

Herp....Derp...blowing bubbles.

He had a young, bride, 19 years younger than himself. She finally passed in 2000 at 101 years old and is now next to him.

There is a gift shop, and I picked up a paperback copy of his autobiography. In reading it, I learned that we did not need the Navy or Marines. He won the war in the Pacific all by himself. That if you were even remotely interested in any (read all) certificates, awards or medals he may have received, he has copies of every - single - one - of - them in there for your edification. He is a one man demigod force and a gift to humankind. He wrote a book about himself to make sure everyone could know. There was no general before or after him that was anything like him.

I do give him credit for the occupation of Japan. He understood the Japanese culture and mindset - and that a traditional occupation would have been harmful.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
He is entombed in Norfolk, VA. It is worth a visit. Near the end of my walk-through in the early 90's, I came to his mausoleum, or whatever you call it. There were two spaces. His was all dolled up, the other was plain bare. I found one of the employees there and asked them what the other tomb was for.

"His wife."

Well, I misunderstood. I thought it odd that his was all duly decorated, and hers was spartan with nothing. I asked him why that was.

"Because she is still alive."...

There is a gift shop, and I picked up a paperback copy of his autobiography. In reading it, I learned that we did not need the Navy or Marines. He won the war in the Pacific all by himself. That if you were even remotely interested in any (read all) certificates, awards or medals he may have received, he has copies of every - single - one - of - them in there for your edification. He is a one man demigod force and a gift to humankind. He wrote a book about himself to make sure everyone could know. There was no general before or after him that was anything like him.

I do give him credit for the occupation of Japan. He understood the Japanese culture and mindset - and that a traditional occupation would have been harmful.

MacArthur's US Navy counterpart was Nimitz, who asked to be buried next to those he served with, and with the same standard headstone (there is a slight diff, Nimitz headstone has the circle of five stars engraved). I see it every year when the Scouts plant flags at the Golden Gate Cemetery.

I have wondered how things in Korea would have been different had MacArthur had his way.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have wondered how things in Korea would have been different had MacArthur had his way.

We'll not know in this lifetime, since violating your oath to obey the CIC and/or bucking him gets you fired.

Macarthur assured Truman that pushing north would not have the Chinese enter the conflict. Then the Chicoms poured hundreds of thousands of men south and threatened to topple the entire country. Macarthur then wanted to bomb China and bring in troops from Taiwan to assist in the fighting.

Imagine the death toll from that one.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post