SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SpaceX unveils Falcon Heavy at Cape Canaveral
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SpaceX unveils Falcon Heavy at Cape Canaveral Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted
They are supposed to do ground checks after Christmas, with a static fire and then launch sometime in January.

Gonna be a hoot to watch, regardless of what happens!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
The scale of these things and the engineering behind is just astounding.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
The fact that it has 27 main engines concerns me, but they know what they are doing (it's not the 1960s anymore).

I love SpaceX - they (and other commercial enterprises) are the future of space travel.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
Oh hell yes!

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1736 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
What is their projected lift weight on that monster?

It looks huge!!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
The fact that it has 27 main engines concerns me, but they know what they are doing (it's not the 1960s anymore).

I love SpaceX - they (and other commercial enterprises) are the future of space travel.

Agreed, but I think they have only had one engine failure during a launch do date and the rocket corrected for the change in thrust.

http://blogs.discovermagazine....to-iss/#.WjqGUFQ-dTY

Obviously a lot can go wrong, but even in setbacks they learn something.

Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the drift but I want that garage!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
What is their projected lift weight on that monster?

It looks huge!!

RMD

Falcon Heavy Specs

Youtube animation of Falcon Heavy mission

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1736 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Mrw, thanks! A well put together page and very informative.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4925 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
That is impressive. It's also impressive that the Saturn V lifted more back in the day!

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Engineers: One engine? Pffft. 27...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I plan on watching the launch in person.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any comparisons on cost to get an object in space vs. a comparable object launched by NASA?

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
Any comparisons on cost to get an object in space vs. a comparable object launched by NASA?

NASA doesn't have any lift vehicles at this time.

They contract it all out to ULA, Orbital ATK, and SpaceX.

SpaceX is about 1/2 to 1/3 of what a ULA launch costs, so far (Falcon 9 vs Atlas Launches)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I plan on watching the launch in person.
If I wasn't 6 hours away I could, as I image there will likely be some delays of hours / days until the candle is finally lit. We saw CRS-11 in June and it was impressive, especially the landing.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I have always regretted not going to Cape Canaveral to see the last launch of a Saturn V.
Now I plan to attend one of the launches of a Falcon Heavy, and expect to be thrilled to the bone.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I have always regretted not going to Cape Canaveral to see the last launch of a Saturn V.
Now I plan to attend one of the launches of a Falcon Heavy, and expect to be thrilled to the bone.

While the shuttle was more powerful than the Saturn V, the Saturn V was more impressive.

I share your regret, but the last Saturn V flew when I was a kid. I couldn't have gotten myself there.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a fine looking rocket, but my very first reaction was, "Whoa... I bet these guys play a lot of Kerbal"

Kerbal Space Program

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
For spring break we're camping at Jetty Park Campground. I hope there's a launch scheduled while we are there.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Cool view of the business end.
I've seen a few comparo silhouette graphs of
Delta IV & Falcon heavies vs the Saturn V.
Wernher was and still is the heavyweight champ.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post