SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oh Yea Baby! Working on the Man Cave.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh Yea Baby! Working on the Man Cave. Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
BIG step up for the Man Cave Tomorrow!

The wife and I moved here two years ago. (My Dad and I built this 2,600 sq. ft. Ranch style house on 3.5 acres in 1975 for a retiring couple. I bought it from their estate in 2015) This house has a good size formal living room and a separate Den / Library both with brick fireplaces. I claimed the Den. The room is dark, and the decor is a tad dated but so am I! First in right away was two matching recliners and sofa and our 47 inch TV. Then things got put on hold for a while.

BUT, tomorrow...

Tomorrow I am having delivered a 75 inch Sony TV (XBR75X900E) DVD player and Soundbar with sub.

I stripped out the old TV today, it will be installed over the mantel in the formal living room for the Wife and Grandkids to use as desired if needed.

I lopped out a big piece of cardboard to help me with positioning on the wall... From my face to the screen is 15 feet.
Need to work on the lighting, OK for TV but nothing else. Gonna hang Grandad's old Double Barrel over the fireplace someday.

Hot damn! Can I get an AMEN brothers???

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
In case you were wondering, LOL! Thats an old Heathkit from circa 1960 under the TV. (I didn't build it but knew the guy that did) Receiver and Garrard turntable. I got the schematics and build instructions with it. Speakers are on each end. Still works and will still blow out the walls!!! Turntable needs a needle. It has sliding doors that go over the front, removed today for access.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Cool. You'll enjoy that.

Posts: 26891 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Amen brother!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
A "tad" dated"? Enjoy those Starsky and Hutch reruns on the big screen. Razz

Posts: 10899 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Man, you have a ballin retro man cave! A few neon beer signs and a couple lava lamps and you'll be right!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice location for a man cave.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
I would suggest new floors next... Smile

That TV will be amazing.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
AMEN! I can feel my gut settling already, stuffed with nachos, comatose on a recliner after the big game.

Lighting? Lots of indirect. The quick fix may be changing existing bulbs. Lower wattage spots?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a great man cave. Nice rustic wood floor would be great in there.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And add a cat. Or dog. Or both!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
My Wife needed a home office and I lost my man cave. Frown

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4786 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:

Actually a new floor is in the works... but ceramic tile in the utility room and a bath. Yea, it's gonna be her turn for a while. Big Grin

That 40 year old Linoleum is hard as concrete! Gonna get a fresh coat o wax when the install is done. That will have to do for now.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Y'all never disappoint! Thanks for the chuckles...

If you need me you know where I'll be.

The only lighting in the room is two eyeballs lighting the fireplace, and they glare in your eyes some when on. Got a lamp to read by. Everything in the room is dark. Need to figure out how to light it up when needed yet keep it subdued when not needed.

Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
Ya know I really do dig the 1960's theme.
Tommydog has the right idea! You could have fun with that and still have the modern necessities.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Congrats - that will be great!

If I could offer one piece of advice, consider not mounting the monitor quite so high. From a seated position that is going to be significantly "up" it looks like and will be much more enjoyable closer to eye level.

Good luck!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12390 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

If I could offer one piece of advice, consider not mounting the monitor quite so high. From a seated position that is going to be significantly "up" it looks like and will be much more enjoyable closer to eye level.

Good luck!

Good advice

Posts: 13225 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:

Actually a new floor is in the works... but ceramic tile in the utility room and a bath. Yea, it's gonna be her turn for a while. Big Grin

That 40 year old Linoleum is hard as concrete! Gonna get a fresh coat o wax when the install is done. That will have to do for now.
2 things to think about:
  • 40 yo linoleum may contain asbestos. If it has friable asbestos then I highly recommend hiring the pros to remove.
  • think about acoustics when you select your new floor. 100% hard surfaces will be echoey and movies/tv/music will sound like crap w/o acoustic treatment (throw rug, corner/wall acoustic panels, etc). Cool thing about acoustic panels is they’re selling them to look like paintings/pics.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23194 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of cparktd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TMats:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Georgeair:

Good luck!

Good advice

Thanks for the opinions! I have been worrying about this a bit.
    As is, with feet up in my recliner, but not actually reclined, my eye naturally falls very close to center screen. Part of what makes it look high is the size of the thing! As it sits the bottom is ~41 inches off the floor. The cabinet below is only 29 inches high.
    I do agree on the look of it and will consult and discuss with the installer when he gets here but I do have strong prescription varifocal glasses and have to get it up high enough to get it out of my closer focus zones. Glad I went to the trouble to use the cardboard, it's much easier to move it then the real thing! Also, the sound bar will be mounted under the TV, not on the cabinet. The top of the cabinet raises up to open.

The installer is a third generation owner of the family business. I've done business with his Father and Grandfather for almost 50 years. When I was plumbing and wiring we did all their built in installs. Dishwashers, Ovens etc. The AV installs is the only thing he still makes home visits for. I highly respect his opinion... We will see!

Equal Opportunity Mocker
    Picture of slabsides45
    posted Hide Post
    Here's a divergent opinion:

If I were to have a nice man cave that I claimed, then paint the walls or cover with sheetrock, install new tile or laminate flooring, set up the mantle with a nice pickled whitewash, and redo lighting? Yeah, that would be a magnet for my wife to take that area over.

Me, I'd set everything up so that it's to my functional tastes, then leave it tacky enough that the ladies all kinda look at it with that "ewwwww" look, and the guys can spill a cold beverage of choice without any adverse effect.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
    -Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post