SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What to see/do in Charleston, SC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to see/do in Charleston, SC Login/Join 
Picture of scot818
posted
I’m taking the family to Charleston in July for vacation. We’ve been a couple of times before on short trips, 3-4 days. We’ve toured downtown, the battery, etc. My son and I even spent a couple of weekends on the Yorktown with the Scouts.

My son wants to play golf one day - any suggestions? How about diving off the coast? I know it’s not the Florida Keys but is it worth the time?

What are some good activities that may not be so obvious to us?
Restaurant recommendations?

My wife and I were there last November and the highlight for me was a trip to Palmetto State Armory in Mt. Pleasant. Smile. I am planning a return trip but they won’t be as excited about it as I will be. My wife wants to tour the plantations this time and I’m dreading the thought of doing that in 95 degree heat and humidity.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Take the short drive up I-26 for the PSA store in Summerville. The Mt. P liberal transplants prevented that store from being fully realized. Summerville is PSA's true flagship store.

I assume you've done Ft Sumter. Fort Moultrie on Sullivans Island is pretty neat. Bigger with more to see than Ft Sumter.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
If you’ve been already and done the basics, like the battery, look to eat well. There are way too many to list great restaurants. My current fav down there is High Thyme on Sullivan’s Island. My sister lives in Mt. Pleasant, so we visit regularly. Take a trip to Fort Moultrie, and also Fort Sumpter if you haven’t seen it yet, it is definitely worth the time. Find a few small restaurants to eat at off the beaten paths, the lower end chefs there can put the best anywhere else to shame. There are several roof top bars (Vendu Inn, etc) that are amazing for evening/sunset cocktails - don’t miss out on that! It’s my favorite city to visit!

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I recall two threads on this same subject.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...070047834#6070047834

The other thread may be too old and archived.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5060 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Go here.

Boneyard Beach/Botney Bay

It's a pain in the ass to find, and you must time your trip around low tide. We didn't know the tide part, but luck would have it we showed up 45 min before sunrise and it happened to be low tide. As we were leaving a park ranger told us the area we were just in is only accessible for an hour or so a day. We had really lucked out.

It's a fifteen minute walk from the road through completely undeveloped marsh lands from the very small parking area to beach. This is park/nature preserve so there's no trash cans or bathrooms, so you'll need to bring whatever you need with you and remove your trash.

It's a nature preserve that's been untouched by man for 100 years, the best part is where the ocean claims the forest and you can see the dead trees pointing out of the water looking almost like some alien or uninhabited planet.

Tides

This was one of my favorite days of our trip to SC and we did it the day after I popped the question to my bride to be. I plan on going back again for sure. It's amazing to be on the beach with only a couple other people for sunrise, most people don't know how to get there through the preserve.

Make sure you find the right day to match sunrise to low tide and you will been blown away.

PS you can also stop in at Aglifter's ice cream shop down there too. IIRC it's on Sullivan's Island.

PPS Magnolia Plantation Was my second favorite place to visit. Lots to see, lots of trails.

PPPS

Video from our engagement week. Minutes 1:00-2:00 have pictures from the preserve/beach.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/ZHPx94-0N_k

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20838 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I recall two threads on this same subject.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...070047834#6070047834

The other thread may be too old and archived.

Just spent Fathers Day weekend in Charleston. That other thread covers a lot. Stayed at the Vendue and drank on the rooftop. Can’t say enough good things about the Vendue. Amazing service.

Many good restaurants but avoid 82 Queen. Way overpriced and overrated. It’s a hook for tourists.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Ft.Sumter tour

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Visit the H. L. Hunley in N. Charleston. The worlds first successful attack submarine, built in 1863. Great museum and views of the old boat. Only open on Saturdays and Sundays. www.hunley.org

Posts: 6 | Location: Near Charleston, SC | Registered: February 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the ideas and the link to the earlier thread. I should have searched first... I’ll check these out and sit down with the family this weekend to see what they want to do.

Thanks again guys.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post