SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2018-19 Big Ten Football Thread - NYD Bowls on Pg 20
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2018-19 Big Ten Football Thread - NYD Bowls on Pg 20 Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
It's going to be hard to keep him at Purdue for 4 years.
Moore is already a dynamic playmaker, and is remarkably strong for his age. I hope he stays injury free and can further develop. The good news is that the NFL's draft rule means he'll stay the remainder of this season as well as 2 more full seasons:
quote:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
This is great!

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuglespritz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
Gotta give kudos where they are deserved. Michigan finally is playing like their fans have been claiming for several years. Their defense was outstanding! Gotta say as a MSU grad I am absolutely sick & tired of the pre- and post game shit that comes out of both schools and fan bases. Like a bunch of damn kids playing a kids game. Shame on everyone involved. After all, it is just a damn football game.

Also all credit to the Boilermakers for an absolutely stunning performance!! They are really rounding into shape as the season progresses. I was really impressed with the play of their offensive line for what little time I got to watch.

As a Michigan grad, I agree with you 100%. The players need to play the game and stop all of the talk and antics.

Posts: 754 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of fun college football things as an outcome of the game on Saturday.

1) The Traveling "The". Purdue is now "The Purdue University" and OSU is now "An Ohio University". http://edsbs.wikia.com/wiki/The_Traveling_The

2) College Football Championship Belt.
https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/c...l_belt_championship/

3) Purdue is now a CFB Empire! https://www.sbnation.com/colle...lism-map-week-8-2018

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shaql,

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
As a lifelong Buckeye fan I didn't want to be right but there was no question it was going to happen. After the Minnesota game I told friends that they will lose 2 of the next 3 games. What will be left for them is to derail Michigans playoff run by year end, and I don't think they can beat Michigan this year.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Week 9:
3 teams have bye weeks and 1 team is making up for a non-conference game cancelled earlier this year. All times in Central Time Zone.

Friday:
  • IU @ MN at 7:00 on FS1 - Depending on which odds service you believe, IU is 2 to 2.5 point favorites. Statistically they're a match on points scored and points allowed, but IU racks up more yards on offense. They have two common opponents (IA and OSU) and MN lost by less to both. I'm going with IU to win and cover.

Saturday:
  • #20 WI @ NWU at 11:00 on Fox - Depending on which odds service you believe, the Badgers are 4.5 to 6.5 point favorites. The Badgers are better on both sides of the ball, but on offense they're polar opposites with the Badgers favoring the run and Wildcats favoring the pass. They have two common opponents which doesn't tell us much since UofM whipped WI and barely squeeked past NWU and NE took NWU to overtime and WI whipped 'em. WI has proven they can beat a good passing team (IA), but NWU hasn't proven they can beat a good rushing team. The Badgers win and cover.
  • The Purdue University @ MSU at 11:00 on ESPN - Depending on which odds service you believe, the Sparties are 1.5 to 2 point favorites. They are even in defensive points allowed, but Purdue's offense is much better in every aspect. Purdue's defense can handle MSU's offense, but MSU has trouble stopping the pass which spells disaster since Blough is on fire. The oddsmakers have this one wrong and Purdue wins.
  • Bethune-Cookman @ NE at 11:00 on BTN - Let me be the first to say I've never heard of them, but to fill you in they're a historically black college in Daytona Beach who is a member of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference and participates in NCAA Division I FCS. Odds makers won't rate this game. It's a WAG, but the Cornhuskers win.
  • #18 IA @ #17 PSU st 2:30 on ESPN - Depending on which odds service you believe, PSU is 6 to 6.5 point favorites. Likely the best game of the weekend. They have one common opponent, IU, and IA whipped 'em and PSU squeeked by. IA has been shutting down the run the last 3 weeks and the run is half of PSU's balanced offense. Stanley has been passing well here of late, and PSU has struggled to shutdown the pass recently. The Hawkeyes pull off the upset.
  • IL @ MD st 2:30 on BTN - Depending on which odds service you believe, the Terps are 17.5 to 18 point favorites. Only common opponent is Rutgers and the Illini beat 'em and Terps whooped 'em. The Illini have trouble stopping the run and the Terps are a one dimensional rushing offense. The Terps win and cover.

•  
    Picture of Shaql
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Bethune-Cookman @ NE at 11:00 on BTN - Let me be the first to say I've never heard of them, but to fill you in they're a historically black college in Daytona Beach who is a member of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference and participates in NCAA Division I FCS. Odds makers won't rate this game. It's a WAG, but the Cornhuskers win.

And before people start mocking NE scheduling a local high-school, this is a last minute fill-in game that this school agreed to after the NE-Akron game was cancelled. This was supposed to be NE's bye-week.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Friday Wrap-up:
  • IU @ MN at 7:00 on FS1 - I was wrong on winner and spread. Midway through the 2nd quarter, the Gophers took the lead for good despite the Hosers making a 21 point 4th quarter surge. MN put the nail in the coffin with a freshman throwing a TD to a freshman. I'm a PJ Fleck fan so I was glad to see them stop their 4 game slide and losing streak of 6 straight Big Ten losses.

Friday Kudos:
  • True freshman MN QB Morgan. 200+ 1st half pass yards and ended with 302 yards passing, 3 passing TDs, and 1 INT.
  • MN RB Brooks. 22 carries for 154 yards, 1 rushing TD, and 11 yards receiving.
  • MN WRs Bateman (freshman) and Johnson who both had 100+ yards receiving and at least 1 TD. Bateman had 108 with 1 TD, and Johnson had 102 with 2 TDs.

•  
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Purdue's offense is flat in the first half, and is going into half-time down 13-6.

NWU has been holding WI in check (e.g. Taylor only had 33 yards on 9 rushes), and is leading 14-10 at half.

Nebraska is taking it to Bethune-Cookman 38-3 at half-time.

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Saturday Week 9 Wrap-up:
  • #20 WI @ NWU at 11:00 on Fox - Upset of the weekend. Badgers drew first blood and later in the first quarter the Wildcats tied it up and lead the remainder of the game. On the other side of the ball, Thorson was able to overcome throwing 3 INTs by throwing a TD and running for 2 TDs (couldn't bring myself to putting a guy who threw 3 picks in kudos section). NWU controls their own destiny in the Big Ten west, and faces 2nd place IA in 2 weeks.
  • Purdue @ the Michigan State University (tMSU) at 11:00 on ESPN - What a frustrating game for Boilermaker fans. The O was completely flat and their playbook looked like OSUs the week before with one dink and dunk pass after another (avg 5.7 yards per pass vs tMSU's 6.9). All of this lead Blough to coming back to earth with only 277 yards passing, 0 TDs, 3 INTs, and a sad 3-13 3rd down efficiency. Purdue's D had a good game and it was 16-13 right until the end when tMSU broke a big one for a 48 yard TD, but it's hard to fault when tMSU had the ball 17 minutes longer. Hats off to MSU for a well played and well-coached team lead by a back-up QB.
  • Bethune-Cookman @ NE at 11:00 on BTN - As expected, the Cornhuskers won. They lead wire to wire.
  • #18 IA @ #17 PSU st 2:30 on ESPN - This game lead up to the hype of being the best game of the weekend. The Hawkeyes D and special teams dominated early and in the first 16.5 minutes of the game had forced two safeties which wasn't obvious with a 14-7 score. The problem is that the Hawkeyes O couldn't put PSU away. PSU had a scare when McSorley went down with a knee injury, missed a few plays, and went to the locker room early at half, but he toughed it out and played the remainder of the game. The end of the game is the clearest example of home field advantage that I've seen as Iowa was 1st and goal on PSU's 3 yard line and the crowd was so loud the WR didn't hear the audible, the ball was snapped quickly due to play clock counting down, the ball was thrown to the WR who didn't hear the audible, and PSU picked it off. See it for yourself at the 2:54 mark:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/E4RWuYac-MU
  • IL @ MD st 2:30 on BTN - As predicted, the Terps won and covered. The Illini drew first blood, but 11 seconds later the Terps returned the kickoff for a 97 yard touchdown and lead the rest of the game. MD dominated every aspect of the game.

Kudos:
  • NWU's D. They held the nation's leading rusher, Taylor, to 46 yards and 2 fumbles. Additionally, they held the Badgers to 158 yards passing.
  • NWU's O line. They cleared the way for 3 rushing TDs and gave Thorson time for 1 passing TD while only giving up 1 sack.
  • tMSU QB Lombard. Young man had his first start and certainly made the most of it. He had 318 yards passing, 2 TDs, and 0 INTs.
  • tMSU's D. They stymied the nation's hottest offense. Their lights out rush D was back holding Purdue to 62 yards rushing, their awesome takeaway stats were added to with 3 INTs, and gave up 0 passing TDs.
  • Bethune-Cookman for giving up their bye week and having the cajones to agree mid-season to schedule Nebraska whose week 1 Akron game was cancelled.
  • IA Placeholder, Rastetter, and IA defensive end, Brinks, who combined for the Hawkeyes' only passing TD of the game. They had a strange formation even though placeholder and place kicker were on the field, and you can see the awesome catch for yourself in the 1st highlight in the video above.
  • PSU's D. They held the Hawkeys to 135 yards rushing and 0 rush TDs, and their 3 sacks and 7 hurries held IA to 215 yards passing and 0 passing TDs (PSU's special teams gave up a TD pass) and forced an INT (the other was the clock and the crowd).
  • PSU back-up QB Stevens. While McSorley was out the young man completed 2 passes for 27 yards, and had 5 rushes including a TD. He wasn't in there long, but made an impact while the star QB was being tended to.
  • PSU WR Hamler. He didn't make it in the endzone but his 96 yards receiving (including a 39 yarder) and 82 yards kick returns (including 67 yards) made 3 field goals and a TD possible.
  • MD's QB Hill. He had 265 yards passing on 11 passes (outstanding yards per catch), 3 passing TDs, and 0 INTs.
  • MD's RB Leake. He had 140 yards on 5 carries (awesome yards per carry) and 3 TDs.
  • MD's o-line. They steamrolled the Illini to allow the backs to rack up 431 yards rushing, 5 rushing TDs, 281 yards passing, and 3 passing TDs. Only gave up 1 sack and 0 hurries.

•  
    posted Hide Post
    Purdue faced what is still a pretty formidable defense in MSU. The coaching staff seem to have tweaked some things to take away the quick slant route passes that were killing MSU earlier. Tough season for State this year though, with all the injuries, especially to the receiving corps, offensive line and secondary.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Y'all won the traveling "The" by beating Purdue. We won it by beating Ohio State.

Therefore, you can say, "the Michigan State University" (tMSU) like Ohio State made famous. Don't give it back to them when you play in two weeks, and it'd be real nice if you won every game between now and 11/6/21 (aka the next rematch with Purdue).

posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    Y'all won the traveling "The" by beating Purdue. We won it by beating Ohio State.

Therefore, you can say, "the Michigan State University" (tMSU) like Ohio State made famous. Don't give it back to them when you play in two weeks, and it'd be real nice if you won every game between now and 11/6/21 (aka the next rematch with Purdue).

Well, would be nice but I am pretty confident it ain't gonna happen Wink

Tell you what.... What little chance I had to watch Purdues victory over OSU, your Boilermakers were DAMN impressive!

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Not a positive news day for the Big Ten:
  • Rutgers linebacker arrested for conspiracy to murder acquaintance's family
  • Maryland regents go against University President's recommendation and reinstate football coach DJ Durkin who had player die during his practice and systemic abuse allegations

•  
    posted Hide Post
    Call me "Old School" and stubborn, by I refuse to recognize 13 and 14 as BIG 10 schools.

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    Maryland went ahead and fired him, sounds like people with clout turned the screws.

I think it’s OK to agree with Texas@last on the addition of MD and Rutgers, even though I follow a team that’s not a Big 10 original either.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Wow! Maryland's Board of Regents proves they're a bunch of ass clowns. Should have fired him yesterday, but to flip flop due to Twitter means they didn't make a principled decision in the first place.

In a Stunning Reversal, Maryland Fires Football Coach One Day After Reinstating Him

posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TMats:
    Maryland went ahead and fired him, sounds like people with clout turned the screws.

I think it’s OK to agree with Texas@last on the addition of MD and Rutgers, even though I follow a team that’s not a Big 10 original either.

So, are you Penn State or Nebraska?
    At least they are both in the mid west and they both have a winning history.

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    Nebraska

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Shaql
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Texas@Last:
    quote:
    Originally posted by TMats:

So, are you Penn State or Nebraska?
    At least they are both in the mid west and they both have a winning history.

Penn State is NOT in the mid-west. Not even close.