SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2018-19 Big Ten Football Thread - NYD Bowls on Pg 20
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2018-19 Big Ten Football Thread - NYD Bowls on Pg 20 Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Week 3 Wrap-up:
A week of surprises with 4 teams falling in games they were expected to win easily:
  • South Florida @ IL at 2:30 on BTN - USF won but didn't cover. I didn't see it, but it sounds like the Illini were leading 19-7 going into the 4th and gave up 18 unanswered points to lose.
  • Misery @ Undue Purversity at 6:30 on BTN - Mizzou won but didn't cover. Purdue's defense stunk up the field in the first half, but they knocked out the Tigers top receiver and it became a much different game. In the 4th quarter, Purdue's D played with some fire in their belly and had some stops. There weren't many stops by either D as the teams combined for 1222 yards of offense Eek
  • #4 tOSU @ #15 TCU at 7:00 on ABC - tOSU won but didn't cover (good call TMats). I only saw the highlights but I DVR'd it and I'm debating whether to watch. The Buckeyes definitely took care of the ball better as they threw 0 INTs and had 0 fumbles, and their D managed to snag 2 passes and recover a fumble. More importantly the D got 2 TDs (1 fumble recover and 1 INT). TCU did lead the game from early in the 2nd quarter until late in the 3rd quarter.
  • BYU @ WI - I was shocked that the Badgers lost to BYU. The was WI's first non-conference home loss since '03, and ended the nation's longest non-conference winning streak at 41 games.
  • Temple @ MD - Prior to this game, Temple had 0 wins and MD had 0 losses. Pretty surprised they lost by 21.
  • Troy @ NE - Troy lead wire to wire. Both teams had fumbleitis. This is the first time since 1957 that the Cornhuskers started off the season 0-2.
  • Akron @ NWU - NWU dominated the first half (21-3 at half) and Akron dominated the second half by scoring 36 and only giving up 13.

Catch of the Week:
    Skip ahead to the 4:15 mark and check out this catch:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmZPz6M-xf8

Kudos:
  • tOSU for winning a road game against a ranked opponent while being coached by an asst coach.
  • tOSU QB Haskins for 344 yards passing, 2 passing TDs (0 INT), and a rushing TD. Definitely improved his standing in the Heisman race.
  • Purdue QB Blough for 572 yards passing (not a typo), 3 passing TDs (1 INT), and 1 rushing TD. The most single game passing yards at the Cradle of Quarterbacks doesn't belong to Hall of Famers Len Dawson or Bob Griese, likely Hall of Famer Drew Brees, or the 6 other QBs who've went on to start in the NFL. Instead, the record belongs to Blough.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Wishbone
    posted Hide Post
    Big 10 is pretty bad.

The Big Ten went 6-7.

*BYU 24, Wisconsin 21.
    Penn St 63, Kent St 10.
    Michigan 45, SMU 10.
    *Kansas 55, Rutgers 14.
    Indiana 38, Ball St 10.
    *Temple 35, Maryland 14.
    *Troy 24, Nebraska 19.
    Minnesota 26, Miami (OH) 3.
    So Florida 25, Illinois 19.
    Missouri 40, Purdue 37.
    Iowa 38, No Iowa 14.
    *Akron 39, Northwestern 34.
    Ohio St 40, TCU 28.
    Michigan St--OFF
    (*)WTF results.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Wishbone
    posted Hide Post
    Big 12 on the other hand went 6-2 with wins over Usc, Boise St, Houston, and even Kansas blew out a Big 10 team.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Facts are stubborn things
    Picture of armedprof
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wishbone:
    Big 12 on the other hand went 6-2 with wins over Usc, Boise St, Houston, and even Kansas blew out a Big 10 team.

Boise St, Houston, Kansas and Rutgers do not qualify as Football powerhouses... Those schools combine for 0 National Championships and 0 Heisman Trophy winners. Texas' victory over USC is very respectable.

TCU - Played a football Powerhouse and were beat.

Your (*)WTF surprise me with the exception of the Wisconsin game. Rutgers and Maryland have finished in the bottom of the Big 10 since they joined. Nebraska has a new coach and is still winless on the season. They woudl probably be 0-3 if they would have played Akron week one. Northwestern losing to Akron is an upset but not a huge surprise. The MAC usually plays the Big 10 very tough.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wishbone:
    This is not what this thread is about. From top of Page 1:
    quote:
    Requests:
  • Keep this thread about the Big Ten teams & players, the weekend’s Big Ten match-ups and opponents, kudos for Big Ten players/coaches/administrators, and Big Ten conference champ predictions.
  • If you’re a fan of a team from another conference, join in for some good-natured ribbing when your team plays a Big Ten team. Otherwise, please start a thread for your favorite conference.
  • It’s just a game so let’s keep the ribbing good-natured.

• Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I would watch the OSU game on tape. It had some pretty insane moments, generally not found in NFL ball.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bad dog!
    Picture of justjoe
    posted Hide Post
    Michigan very unimpressive in their win over SMU. OL is still weak, play calling is from 1960. They will lose to Wisconsin, Penn State and Ohio State. Another 8-4 season for Harbaugh, the 9 million dollar coach, and could be 7-5 if Michigan State beats them too.

The OSU game was great! One of the most fun-to-watch games ever.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    +1 on the OSU game.

I just wish the targeting rule was more evenly called.

I feel like Haskins got targeted, maybe even late hit.
    I mean a year or 2 ago Bosa tried to slap at the ball with his hand as a QB was throwing the ball.
    He missed the ball and his head bobbed forward as he swung his arm and his face mask barely touched the QBs face mask. He was immediately kicked out...and after the review, he was confirmed. That was in no way any shape, any definition of targeting.

I saw it three times on Saturday called and all three looked pretty much like they fit the targeting definition. The first two were called, they were in other games, the one against TCU was not called.

NRA Life Endowment member
    Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Res ipsa loquitur
    Picture of BB61
    posted Hide Post
    big 10 and the pac 12 should give up their vaunted P5 status this year after last week.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I really want to see Oklahoma pass OSU in the standings. Looking forward to seeing PSU play a conference opponent, even if it is Illinois in week 4.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by BB61:
    big 10 and the pac 12 should give up their vaunted P5 status this year after last week.

Maybe the big ten should follow the SEC lead and play more FCS teams instead of only playing two and the rest BCS teams.

The SEC plays 15 this year to edge the ACC by 1, they play 14.

Middle Tenn St, Georgia Southern and on and on.
    Right.

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Res ipsa loquitur
    Picture of BB61
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Aquabird:
    quote:

Maybe the big ten should follow the SEC lead and play more FCS teams instead of only playing two and the rest BCS teams.

Right.

Not a bad idea but that would be admitting the P5 really aren’t any better than the G5 and that a true playoff system like March Madness is necessary. I can’t see the SEC, B10 and other admitting that.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Aquabird:
    quote:

Right.

Not a bad idea but that would be admitting the P5 really aren’t any better than the G5 and that a true playoff system like March Madness is necessary. I can’t see the SEC, B10 and other admitting that.

I don't follow your logic or lack of it here?

I am saying that the Big ten, followed by the Big 12 play more BCS schools thru the year, than the SEC or the ACC and the Pac 10.

Those non BCS schools are easier to beat and then when they do beat them, like Clemson and Geogia did this last weekend, all you hear about is how these teams have such a great defense because they held the other teams to low points.

And then people comment on the losses of teams that are indeed playing BCS teams.

When OSU was playing some easier teams, all you heard about was their "CUPCAKE" schedule.
    Where is that comment now?

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Changing the bowl & playoff format is not what this thread is about. Please start a new thread if you want to discuss creating a CFB playoff system.

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Week 4:
    5 Big Ten match-ups and 3 non-conference games this week. 1 game is Friday and the rest are as God intended (i.e. on Saturday). As usual, all times are listed Central time and I'm not going to spend time on non-conference games that don't interest me.

Friday:
  • #10 PSU @ ILL on FS1 at 8:00 PM - The Nittany Lions are favored by 27.5 to 28 points depending on which odds service you believe. PSU is a much better passing team and the Illini have a poor pass defense. They're both pretty even on rush offense and rush defense. PSU will cover by half and maintain a 28+ point lead the remainder of this lopsided blowout.

Saturday:
  • NE @ #19 UofM on FS1 at 11:00 - The Wolverines are favored by 17.5 to 18.5 points depending on which odds service you believe. Cornhuskers have been torched due to their pass defense and UofM's passing offense is beginning to take off under first year QB Patterson. The Cornhuskers offense runs better when Martinez is QB and his status is uncertain according to national news outlets (Tmats likely has better sources). UofM wins and covers.
  • #23 Boston College @ Purdue on ESPN2 at 11:00 - The Eagles are favored by 6.5 to 7 points depending on which odds service you believe. My Boilermakers are defeated (i.e. 0-3) by a grand total of 8 points, and are on the cusp of actually getting a win. Statistically, BC is superior in nearly every aspect, but I loved Purdue's offense last week and their D came alive in the 4th quarter. The Spoilermakers make their first appearance of 2018 and pull off the upset.
  • MN @ MD on BTN at 11:00 - The Terps are favored by 1 to 2 points depending on which odds service you believe. The undefeated Golden Gophers have a balanced offense and a stingy defense. The Terps are more of a rushing offense and their D is good against the run but vulnerable against the pass. Last week, MD surprisingly won by passing and their pass D came up with 2 INTs. I'm admittedly biased as I'm a fan of PJ Fleck (MN's head coach) so I'll go with my gut that his team will be prepared and pull off the upset.
  • #24 MSU @ IU on BTN at 6:30 - The Sparties are favored by 4.5 to 5.5 points depending on which odds service you believe. This is surprisingly a pretty good match-up. The Sparties are passing well this year and the Hosers have a good Pass D. IU is a little weak on rush D and the Sparties rush O has been anemic. IU is pretty good rushing the ball, and the Sparties have been spectacular at stopping the rush. IU is average at passing but the Sparties have been inept at stopping the pass. Sparties win but fail to cover.
  • #18 WI @ IA on FOX at 7:30 - The Badgers are favored by 3 to 3.5 points depending on which odds service you believe. This game likely decides the winner of the Big Ten West. The Hawkeyes are undefeated and thanks to BYU have a blueprint on how to beat the perennial champs. The Badgers are well coached and have a lot of talent (e.g. possibly the best o-line in country and Heisman candidate at RB). Both have good defenses with the Hawkeyes being a little stingier, and both have anemic passing offenses and the Badgers have the edge on rushing. Another factor is that so far neither team's quarterback is playing up to their potential with both having 3 TDs and 2 INTs. I'm expecting a low scoring game with the edge going to the team whose QB regains last year's form passing. I think IA's Stanley has more upside so I'm going with the Hawkeyes to pull off the upset.

•  
    Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    NE @ #19 UofM on FS1 at 11:00 - The Wolverines are favored by 17.5 to 18.5 points depending on which odds service you believe. Cornhuskers have been torched due to their pass defense and UofM's passing offense is beginning to take off under first year QB Patterson. The Cornhuskers offense runs better when Martinez is QB and his status is uncertain according to national news outlets (Tmats likely has better sources). UofM wins and covers.

Huskers haven’t been “torched” by anyone, they’ve lost two because of turnovers, penalties, and special teams, and to a lesser extent O-line play. I think the defense has played pretty well, although last week there were a couple of plays where guys got out of their lanes and that led to big plays.

Martinez is an unknown at this time. Frost doesn’t like to give out any more information than he has to. He’s been practicing, but his long-term health will be the deciding factor. I’m guessing that if he isn’t real close to 100%, they won’t play him.

Walk-on sophomore QB, Andrew Bunch running the offense? Meeshegun wins and covers.

Andrian Martinez able to play at near full speed...I still think M wins, but they do not cover.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TMats:
    quote:
    NE @ #19 UofM on FS1 at 11:00 - The Wolverines are favored by 17.5 to 18.5 points depending on which odds service you believe. Cornhuskers have been torched due to their pass defense and UofM's passing offense is beginning to take off under first year QB Patterson. The Cornhuskers offense runs better when Martinez is QB and his status is uncertain according to national news outlets (Tmats likely has better sources). UofM wins and covers.

Huskers haven’t been “torched” by anyone, they’ve lost two because of turnovers, penalties, and special teams, and to a lesser extent O-line play. I think the defense has played pretty well, although last week there were a couple of plays where guys got out of their lanes and that led to big plays.
    Against CO, their pass defense gave up 351 yards passing and 3 TDs without snagging any INTs. The nail in the coffin was giving up a 40 yard TD pass. Univ of New Hampshire held CO to half the passing yards that NE did. That meets my definition of their pass defense getting torched.

Troy isn't much of a passing team so I ignored their small amt of passing yards against NE.
    quote:
    Originally posted by TMats:
    Martinez is an unknown at this time. Frost doesn’t like to give out any more information than he has to. He’s been practicing, but his long-term health will be the deciding factor. I’m guessing that if he isn’t real close to 100%, they won’t play him.

Walk-on sophomore QB, Andrew Bunch running the offense? Meeshegun wins and covers.

Andrian Martinez able to play at near full speed...I still think M wins, but they do not cover.
    Interesting. Thx.

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Friday:
  • #10 PSU @ ILL on FS1 at 8:00 PM - Boy was I wrong when I said that, "PSU will cover by half and maintain a 28+ point lead the remainder of this lopsided blowout." It ended up being a lopsided blowout due to 42 unanswered points, but for 2.5 quarters it was a tight game with the Illini even leading for 2 minutes in the 3rd quarter.

Very surprised how well PSU rushed but really struggled passing until 1/2 way through the 3rd quarter. I'm very impressed with Sanders' ability to make additional yards after contact.

•  
    Bookers Bourbon
    and a good cigar
    Picture of Johnny 3eagles
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks for the PSU recap. Storms kept my Directv off line, so I turned in way early.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
    Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
    You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    If State doesn’t shore up their defense they’ll have a tough go with OSU. And that makes me very sad Frown But they’ll have home field and White Out conditions so now I’m happy again! Smile

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post