SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2018-19 Big Ten Football Thread - NYD Bowls on Pg 20
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 20
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2018-19 Big Ten Football Thread - NYD Bowls on Pg 20 Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Just announced in the last 45 minutes:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Here is the full Big Ten bowl schedule:
  • Dec. 26 - Quick Lane Bowl w/ Minnesota vs. Georgia Tech at 4:15 p.m. CT on ESPN at Ford Field in Detroit
  • Dec. 27 - New Era Pinstripe Bowl w/ Miami vs. Wisconsin at r:15 p.m. CT on ESPN at Yankee Stadium in New York
  • Dec. 28 - Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl w/ Purdue vs. Auburn at 12:30 p.m. CT on ESPN at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tennessee
  • Dec. 29 - Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl w/ No. 10 Florida vs. No. 7 Michigan at 11:00 CT on ESPN at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta
  • Dec. 31 - Redbox Bowl w/ Michigan State vs. Oregon at 2 p.m. CT on Fox at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif.
  • Dec. 31 - San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl w/ Northwestern vs. Utah at 6 p.m. CT on FS1 at SDCCU Stadium in San Diego, Calif.
  • Jan. 1 - Outback Bowl w/ Mississippi State vs. Iowa at 11:00 CT on ESPN2 at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida
  • Jan. 1 - VRBO Citrus Bowl w/ Kentucky vs. Penn State at noon CT on ABC at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, Florida
  • Jan. 1 - Rose Bowl Game Presented by Northwestern Mutual w/ No. 9 Washington vs. No. 6 Ohio State at 4 p.m. CT on ESPN at Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California

All 9 teams with 6 or more wins received a bowl invitation so nobody was snubbed.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of C-Dubs
    posted Hide Post
    Badgers/Hurricanes for the 2nd year in a row.
    Last year was the Orange Bowl; this year, the Pinstripe Bowl. A demotion, of course, but lucky to have gotten into any bowl game.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    1-9-1-0. That was Big Ten Commissioner, Jim Delaney’s formula to College Football Playoff success.

Back in 2014 — before the first CFP was held and Ohio State won it — Delany announced his vision for securing the league’s place in the top four teams starting in 2016.

The Big Ten would play nine conference games. Each league team was also to play one Power Five nonconference game if it could and zero games against FCS competition. As for the other “1,” well, that was the Big Ten championship game. One big nonconference tilt. Nine conference games. One conference title game. Zero FCS opponents. 1-9-1-0.

That plan has gone over like a lead balloon: 1-9-1-0 is 0-3.

Since 2016, none of the three Big Ten champions have actually qualified for the College Football Playoff.

In 2016, Penn State finished fifth while Ohio State, in finishing third, represented the Big Ten as an 11-1 nondivisional champ. In 2017, OSU won the league crown but finished fifth behind No. 4 Alabama, another one-loss nondivisional champ. In 2018, OSU won the title again and finished sixth behind No. 4 Oklahoma — which won the Big 12 — and No. 5 Georgia, a two-loss team from the SEC whose chief achievement appears to have been playing No. 1 Alabama close in the SEC title game.

Three straight league champions left out of the CFP.

The Big Ten bet wrong on nine conference games. The two leagues that play eight conference games — the ACC and SEC — are the only two leagues to qualify for each CFP. Those leagues happily and prominently play FCS opponents, as well.

The committee doesn’t care, nor see how an extra conference game — Alabama playing at Florida, for example, or Clemson traveling to Miami — might be significantly harder, for several reasons, than a random game against, say, Colorado State or Tulsa.

Either the Big Ten ditches its nine-game approach — not happening — lobbies for an expanded playoff or desires to be represented on the committee by a bulldog whose team has little chance of actually making the CFP but wants to stump for the league in a way that improves its chances in the voting process.

The committee is composed of humans, after all. They can be convinced. Surely conversations in that room are more dynamic than each voter sitting in a silent chamber.

Do I think it’s a total coincidence that for the three years Wisconsin A.D. Barry Alvarez was on the committee, the Big Ten managed to place a team in the CFP? I do not.

Heck, in 2015, Michigan State somehow finagled a No. 3 seed. I’d take the 2016, 2017 and 2018 Big Ten champs over that Spartan team.

The biggest knock on 2018 Ohio State, which beat Northwestern 45-24 for the Big Ten title Saturday, was a lopsided loss at Purdue. What if the Boilermakers had beaten Eastern Michigan and Missouri? Would that have altered the conversation?

The tiny sample size problems beg for an expanded playoff that includes all five league champions, the best from the “Group of Five” conference teams — in this case, undefeated Central Florida — and two more wild cards.

Until then, the nine conference games put the Big Ten at a disadvantage and the ACC and SEC have no incentive to schedule more rigorously. They’re rewarded for playing it safe.

Here’s the particular sting: I expect the Big Ten to win big in the bowls.

Ohio State draws Washington in the Rose Bowl. The Buckeyes are favored.

Michigan draws Florida in the Peach Bowl. UM has hammered Florida twice since coach Jim Harbaugh returned to the school.

Penn State draws Kentucky. Look for the Nittany Lions to cruise there.

Perhaps the most interesting game pits Iowa against Mississippi State. The Hawkeyes have had zero success recently against SEC defenses, but the Bulldog offense may struggle to put a dent in Iowa’s defense.

Ultimately, most of those games are ornaments on the tree. The longer the CFP exists, the less interesting the minor bowls become to all but the most fevered college football diehards. (Such as myself.)

The Big Ten is, for a second straight year, a nonfactor in the biggest games: 1-9-oh-no.
    - Sam McKewon, Omaha World Herald staff writer

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Go ahead punk, make my day
    posted Hide Post
    So Ohio State is pissed they played one more conference game and lost to a chump?

They would have been more successful playing a chump not in their conference, like say Maryland (where they almost lost)?

I understand what they are saying, but this year is a horrible example for them.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
    So Ohio State is pissed they played one more conference game and lost to a chump?
    Hey now! Easy on the chump talk. We beat 3 ranked teams this year (#2, #16, and #23). Every team we lost to was unranked but made a bowl game (i.e. top half of all teams).

posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    quote:
    Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
    Hey now! Easy on the chump talk. We beat 3 ranked teams this year (#2, #16, and #23). Every team we lost to was unranked but made a bowl game (i.e. top half of all teams).
    I watched every minute of that Purdue / Ohio State game. Maybe chump is a strong work, just inconsistent?

Either way, if they had beat what is now a 6-6 team, they would be in the CFP.

My takeaway is being undefeated while still playing some good teams is valued more than losing 1 game by 30 points to an unranked opponent and playing some good teams.

They controlled their own destiny but failed in the attempt. I don't understand why that is hard to see. If Alabama got crushed by Old Miss or Arkansas State, I think they would be close to the same position as Ohio State.

posted Hide Post
    The college football championships BCS/CFP no more produces a national champion than the World Series produces a World Champion baseball team. The history of the bowl system is that it was invitational games, never designed to produce a College Football Champion. Can we stop pretending that it does? There has never been anything "fair" about any of it. I really don't even know why we argue about it. Using only 12-13 games (130 participants), human opinions, and a matrix designed by an SEC athletic director, is no way to objectively rank teams. While the NFL is designed to eliminate dynasties, college football creates them and protects them.

We trust a system that was designed to favor certain regions for the sake of marketing and profits. You do realize, ESPN/ABC, who has the contract for the Play-offs, also has a ranking system. They also have a contract to market the SEC so they have a product and a market to protect. They leave the human factor in it so they can manipulate the outcomes. That's why the criterion changes every year. One year the emphasis is on Body of work, and the next year it is on who they think is playing the best at that time.

The next year they say it's strength of schedule so they start the season with a whole conference ranked in the top 25 so whether you win or lose, it's to a ranked team. When that doesn't produce their desired outcome, they say nope, only kidding, we are going to look at non-con games and "style points" then they change to grading losses instead of said wins, which is subjective based on how those teams were ranked by the system. Then they say we will look at the record, unless of course, your one loss is to a team the "system" says is low ranked and therefore a bad loss.

They said they are not going to allow a team from the Big 12 in because they don't have a true conference champion. Because. . ."Championships matter".

So the Big 12 creates a Championship but the next three years championships don't matter: Alabama got in even though they were not even good enough to get into their conference Championship game. Same with Ohio State the next year. Was it because Penn State, who won the Big 10, was not supposed to be so competitive so soon after their scandal? They were allowed to play and win, just not allowed to be successful. Who gets to decide that? Then Notre Dame gets in this year without having to play a championship.

Until teams play head-to-head on truly neutral fields, there will be no "fair". Neutral field doesn't mean taking a team built to win in freezing rain in November to the south coast to play a team 30 miles from their home stadium.

I'm not even saying Ohio State should be in the play-offs. I am saying that the system doesn't do what it tells us it does.

Conference championship games are the last true college football championships of the year. The rest is just entertainment.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Texas@Last,

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    So life isn't fair? Wink

posted Hide Post
    No, I don't suspect that it is. I'm not the one to ask about it though because I don't do philosophy. Cool

But I'm pretty sure I was just saying that the BCS/Football Championship is not an NCAA championship. Big Grin lol

You could argue that the winner is the champion of a four-team invitational and I would agree.

I think the whole idea is stupid to begin with. You start with five power conference champions and only four spots. I have run all kinds of tournaments from state basketball to church Table Tennis, and no one in my experience would accept that a real tournament be run that way.

So I'm not saying it's not fair, I'm saying it's a lie.

I know it's just my opinion. Thanks for asking for clarification. :thumbs-up:

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    From Ohio State's official sports page:
    quote:
    December 4, 2018
    Watch Football Press Conference at 2 p.m.

The Ohio State University will hold a press conference at 2 p.m. today. Football head coach Urban Meyer will use the press conference to formally announce his retirement from coaching following Ohio State’s appearance in the Rose Bowl Game.

Gene Smith, Ohio State Director of Athletics, will name Ryan Day as the 25th head coach in the history of the program.

The press conference will be streamed live here on OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
    Offensive coordinator Ryan Day, 39, was interim head coach during Meyer's 3 game suspension.

posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Football head coach Urban Meyer

Yeah watching him on the sidelines this year was painful.

Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    Ohio State took a lot of heat over the Zach Smith spousal abuse allegations and Urban Meyer’s possible knowledge and inaction. It’s not a stretch to imagine that his resignation was agreed to at the start of the season.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TMats:
    Ohio State took a lot of heat over the Zach Smith spousal abuse allegations and Urban Meyer’s possible knowledge and inaction. It’s not a stretch to imagine that his resignation was agreed to at the start of the season.
    Yeah, with a little 'comfort' money to boot.

Then again, if he had rolled over Purdue, into the CFP as #4, then slayed Bama and Clemson, I doubt they'd be looking to show him the door...

Just for arguments sake.

Picture of Krazeehorse
    posted Hide Post
    So you guys think the severity of the cyst inside Meyer's brain is being exaggerated?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
    So you guys think the severity of the cyst inside Meyer's brain is being exaggerated?

Well, did you think his "health problems/heart problems" and wanting to be with his family were exaggerated when he left UF?

We will see how quick he heals (again) if the ND job opens up.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Security Sage
    Picture of striker1
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
    quote:

Well, did you think his "health problems/heart problems" and wanting to be with his family were exaggerated when he left UF?

You think Kelly is leaving?

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    thin skin can't win
    Picture of Georgeair
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

Ond of my interventional rads did, until seeing that a surgeon had already attempted to remedy. As he put it, tons of folks walk around with these all day and it's a not event, usually unknown. If it's bad enough a prominent surgeon would attempt to treat it's in a category separating if from the mundane and likely a legitimate issue.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Character, above all else
    Picture of Tailhook 84
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

The cyst has been a problem for over two decades, according to this article in the second paragraph. So while perhaps it's an issue to deal with now, it also has been a part of his life for at least the last 4 teams he's coached. They drained the cyst in 2014, so we can only wait to see what he does after taking care of it again in the near future.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I seriously doubt that Notre Dame would offer Meyer a position. He rather snubbed them before and he would not be popular among ND alumni for lots of reasons. Integrity is part of the problem as well. George O'Leary would have been a great coach, but you cannot make stuff up on a resume for a job at ND.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post