SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2018-19 Big Ten Football Thread - NYD Bowls on Pg 20
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 20
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2018-19 Big Ten Football Thread - NYD Bowls on Pg 20 Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Week 11 Wrap-up:
  • #10 tOSU at #18 MSU at 11:00 on Fox - I was wrong on both winner and spread. Congrats on getting the "the" back. The first half was the defensive battle I thought it would be and they went to the locker room for half-time with tOSU leading 7-3. The 3rd quarter was a combination of MSU's O self destructing and tOSU playing good D as on consecutive drives MSU gives up a safety, fumbles for tOSU TD, fumble, punt, INT, and out on downs. The vaunted MSU D got hardly any rest and was playing with a short field the entire 2nd half. MSU was so inept they even lost power during the post-game press conference.
  • WI at #20 PSU at 11:00 on ABC - I was right on winner, but wrong on spread. Certainly can't fault Taylor for WI's offensive woes as the sophomore had 185 yards and a TD (3rd longest of his career at 71 yards) on 20 carries. PSU really got after the back-up WI QB and rendered the pass offense ineffective (more in kudos). Both teams had two fumbles but the difference was McSorely threw 0 INTs vs Coen's 2. PSU's defense was so dominant that it was OK the field goal kicker was their leading scorer (11 points on 2 PATs and 3 FGs).
  • IL at NE at 11:00 on BTN - I was correct on Cornhuskers winning and covering as well as Martinez and Ozigbo having big games. Only prediction missed was a different WR had a big game. Nebraska's pass D had their best game of the season (more in kudos) and their rush D left a lot to be desired, but fortunately for them the Cornhusker O was mowing them down. As far as turnovers, the Cornhuskers had a big advantage with 1 fumble lost vs 3 recovered and 1 INT thrown vs snagging 2.
  • MD at IU at 11:00 on BTN - I was wrong on both winner and spread as IU squeeked out a win. Hats off to IU as MD doesn't lose often when they have 353 yards rushing. The real difference was MD fumbled 3x vs IU's 0, but they were even on INTs at 1.
  • #4 UofM at Rutgers at 2:30 on BTN - I was correct on UofM winning but wrong on covering and shutting out Rutgers. The Wolverines drew 1st blood with a TD in the 1st quarter, but it was surprisingly answered next drive by Rutgers whose RB broke loose for a 80 yard TD run. UofM's D dominated from that point onward and only gave up 143 yards and 0 points the remainder of the game. The Wolverines O was nearly flawless and unstoppable with their balanced offense (260 yds and 3 TDs passing; 193 yds and 3 TDs rushing) with zero turnovers. Normally, Higdon's 2 rushing TDs would be in kudos section but both TDs were from 1 yd line and only had 39 yds rushing on his other 13 carries (not that they needed any more from him).
  • NWU at #21 IA at 2:30 on Fox - I was correct on the Wildcats winning without covering. It was a defensive battle with the teams going into the locker room at half-time with Hawkeyes leading 3-0, they traded TDs in the 3rd qtr, and with 9:27 left in the 4th NWU went ahead with a TD.
  • Purdue at MN at 2:30 on ESPN2 - I was wrong on both winner and spread, and the weather guesser was wrong on no snow. Purdue was absolutely awful and was outplayed and out coached in every aspect of the game. I haven't cussed at my TV that much in a long time. Hats off to MN players and coaches for whipping Purdue like a redheaded step child. At the beginning of the game, ESPN's sideline commentator pointed out that Blough has smaller than average hands for a QB and would likely struggle grasping the ball in the cold weather like he did versus MSU and boy was he right. It was a 3-3 game when the snow started and all of the sudden Blough's passes were off and he even fumbled running. Purdue went into this game as a contender for Big Ten West division title and only needed 1 win to be bowl eligible. We still need 1 win to be bowl eligible (so does MN) and we either have to do it at home vs WI or on the road vs IU (we've been utterly destroyed our last 2 road games).

Kudos:
  • NWU's players and coaches for clinching the Big Ten West.
  • NWU's RB Bowser for 165 yds rushing and 1 TD on 31 carries. He also caught 3 passes for 33 yards.
  • NWU's Defense. Held IA to 10 points, forced 2 fumbles, only let up 64 yds rushing, and bent without breaking on 269 yds passing.
  • tOSU's Defense. Contributed to the total 2nd half self-destruction of the Sparties Offense and scored 9 points themselves.
  • PSU's Defense. Their passing attack was relentless with 5 sacks and 2 hurries leading to 2 INTs. Their rush D bent but didn't break and the only points they gave up were on the 3rd play of the game when Taylor broke loose for a 71 yard TD. After that, they only gave up 138 yards and 0 TDs the remainder of the game.
  • PSU's RB Sanders. He had 159 yards rushing and 1 TD on 23 carries. Also caught 2 passes.
  • NE's Pass Defense. Their pass D was excellent due largely to intense pressure in the form of 3 sacks and 7 hurries resulting in 2 INTs and 1 fumble while giving up zero points on 126 yards. Their rush D needs a lot of work though as it gave up 383 yards and 5 TDs (did recover 2 fumbles though).
  • NE's QB Martinez. The freshman had 24 completions for 290 yards and 3 TDs (1 INT) and rushed for 55 yards and 1 TD.
  • NE's RB Ozigbo. He had 162 yards and 3 TDs (4 yds, 60 yds, and 66 yds) on 11 carries.
  • NE's WR Morgan. 8 receptions for 131 yards and 2 TDs (37 and 32 yards both in 1st qtr).
  • IU's QB Ramsey. He had 16 completions for 243 yards and 2 TDs (1 INT) and rushed for a 35 yard TD.
  • UofM's Defense. Their pass D was dominant only giving up 59 yards and 0 TDs while forcing an INT. Their rush D was dominant (excluding the previously mentioned 80 yard TD run) where they held Rutgers to 113 yds on 32 carries and forced a fumble.
  • UofM QB Patterson. On 18 completions he threw for 260 yds and 3 TDs (0 INTs). His leadership is evident and the offense is well positioned for its final 2 games.
  • MN head coach PJ Fleck. He fired his defensive coordinator earlier in the week, called the defense himself, and utterly destroyed the #2 offense in the Big Ten and #13 offense in all of college football.
  • MN's defense. The first 3 quarters, MN only allowed Purdue's vaunted offense 111 yds and 3 points. Purdue's remaining 122 yards and 1 TD came in garbage time after MN was leading 41-3. Blough only had 142 yards passing (averages 385), 1 TD (averages 3), sacked him 3 times (they were coverage sacks since nobody was open), and stripped the ball from him for a TD. They held Purdue's tough runners to less than 3 yards per carry and only 88 rushing yards.
  • MN's RB Ibrahim. He had 155 yards on 18 carries. He didn't score any points but his tough running kept drives alive and made it possible for others to score.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I am willing to bet Purdue will have to find a new coach. Petrino and his exteneded family members{no girlfriends this time} are all out of work. Louisville should have enough money after the 14 million dollar buyout to hire Brohm.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bad dog!
    Picture of justjoe
    posted Hide Post
    Michigan and OSU-- err, tOSU-- are both playing their best football of the season. Their match up in two weeks should be epic.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I felt bad for Purdue. To play some really good ball all season then tragedy after tragedy on Saturday. Good for NW beating the Squakeyes!! Good on Nebraska as well. Good offense but, the defense still needs some work.

And again, I know this is a Big 10 thread but, like last year I have to say.... What about those Cyclones!!!?????

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 357fuzz:
    And again, I know this is a Big 10 thread but, like last year I have to say.... What about those Cyclones!!!?????
    They're playing very good and keep dashing other team's hopes. When we expand to 18 or 20 teams, I'll gladly take Iowa St as they're midwest, have a built in rivalry with IA, and are an engineering school like most of the Big Ten.

For an 18 team league, I'd like to see the following midwest teams added:
  • Notre Dame - built in rivalries with UofM, MSU, IU, and Purdue; centrally located for Big Ten; good engineering school
  • Iowa State
  • Kansas - midwest team and want more for basketball than football
  • Kansas St - midwest team, good football history, and good engineering school

For an 20 team league, I'd like to see the following teams added:
  • Notre Dame
  • Iowa State
  • Kansas
  • Kansas St
  • Pittsburg - rivalry with Penn State and good history
  • Louisville - midwest and good basketball

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by justjoe:
    Michigan and OSU-- err, tOSU-- are both playing their best football of the season. Their match up in two weeks should be epic.
    As long as both teams take care of business this weekend.

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
    I am willing to bet Purdue will have to find a new coach. Petrino and his exteneded family members{no girlfriends this time} are all out of work. Louisville should have enough money after the 14 million dollar buyout to hire Brohm.
    Granted Brohm has a personal and family connection with Louisville, but the good news for Purdue fans is that several family members have followed him to Purdue and it's only 3 hours to Louisville (nice family buffer but can still do day trips).

Facts are stubborn things
    Picture of armedprof
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

I am not sure the Louisville job is a step up. I hope he stays at PU.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Shaql
    posted Hide Post
    They are paying for both Petrino's ($~12M) and Petino's ($~44M) buyouts (depending if you think he's (Petino) actually been fired or not) so effectively paying a shit-ton of money to two guys not coach for Louisville.

They are also paying Xavier for Mack's ($4.25M) buyout plus his contract ($4M+/yr).

Brohm is making a little less than $5M/yr and his buyout is ~$4M. Louisville doesn't have the coin to pay Brohm the roughly $6M annually he'd need to get to leave the Boilermakers.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
    Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
    Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Week 12:
    Nobody has a bye or non-conference game so there are 7 Big Ten games this weekend (all times Central Time):
  • #10 tOSU @ MD at 11:00 on ABC - the Buckeyes are unanimously 14 point favorites. Should be pleasant weather by November standards for football. They have 3 common opponents - both whipped Rutgers, but tOSU whipped both IU and MSU whereas MD got whipped by both. The Terps are incredibly vulnerable to teams that can stop the run and the Buckeyes can certainly do that. Earlier in the season, I would've predicted a 50 point game for the Buckeyes, but I think they're going to use this game to work on their rushing offense prior to the UofM game. Buckeyes win and cover, but mainly because Terps score single digit points.
  • #14 PSU @ Rutgers at 11:00 on BTN - Depending on which odds service you believe, the Nittany Lions are 26.5 to 27 point favorites. - the Buckeyes are unanimously 14 point favorites. Should be pleasant weather by November standards for football. Not worth comparing common opponents as Rutgers gets destroyed by everybody and PSU has lost 2 close ones and been destroyed once. The question is not whether or not PSU will win, but whether or not McSorely is healthy enough to lead a lopsided win. Personally, I'd let him heal up on the bench and give the #2 playing time against a weak opponent. PSU wins but doesn't cover.
  • #22 NWU @ MN at 11:00 on BTN - Depending on which odds service you believe, the Gophers (not a typo) are 2 to 2.5 point favorites. It's going to be the coldest game in the Big Ten, and the weather guessers aren't predicting snow but they were wrong last week where snow played a factor in MN disabling the #2 offense in the Big Ten. Both teams average score is just about even with the points per game their defense allows. I'm going with the Big Ten West champs to pull off the upset.
  • MSU @ NE at 11:00 on Fox - Depending on which odds service you believe, the Cornhuskers are even (i.e. 0 pts) to 2.5 point favorites. Snow is possible in this game which will affect NE more as they pass more and quite frankly it'd be pretty hard to notice if MSU's anemic offense played worse. MSU's rush defense is lights out and opponents are only averaging 76.5 yards (several haven't achieved 30 yards) so this will put the offensive burden on Martinez's arm. NE's defense is vulnerable to the pass, but MSU rarely mounts a good passing attack due to their starter playing with an injured shoulder. Cornhuskers win and cover.
  • IA @ IL at 2:30 on BTN - Depending on which odds service you believe, the Hawkeyes are 13.5 to 14.5 point favorites. The Illini have a run driven offense and Iowa's defense is capable of shutting down the run completely, and their pass offense won't put up many points. The Illini defense frequently looks like they're playing on roller skates so I'm expecting the Hawkeyes to put a lot of points on the board. IA wins and covers.
  • WI @ Purdue at 2:30 on BTN - the Boilermakers are unanimously 4 point favorites. My Boilermakers need this one to be bowl eligible. WI's QB Hornibrook is not expected to play due to 2 concussions in 3 weeks, and their offense has been ineffective in his absence. Star running back Taylor will still rack up yards, but just not as fast as WI's defense has been giving them up lately. Last time Blough had a bad game on the road, he had an awesome rebound game at home and I expect the same again. Purdue wins and covers.
  • IU @ #4 UofM at 3:00 on FS1 - Depending on which odds service you believe, the Nittany Lions are 27.5 to 28 point favorites. Snow is possible in this game which will affect IU more than UofM not that UofM needs any help shutting down the IU offense. IU has been rolled by teams that UofM has whipped which is a pretty good indication of how the game will go. UofM wins and covers. Just for fun, I'm predicting UofM's defense scores more than IU's offense.

•  
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Shaql:
    They are paying for both Petrino's ($~12M) and Petino's ($~44M) buyouts (depending if you think he's (Petino) actually been fired or not) so effectively paying a shit-ton of money to two guys not coach for Louisville.

They are also paying Xavier for Mack's ($4.25M) buyout plus his contract ($4M+/yr).

Brohm is making a little less than $5M/yr and his buyout is ~$4M. Louisville doesn't have the coin to pay Brohm the roughly $6M annually he'd need to get to leave the Boilermakers.
    ^^THIS^^

and add a little of this:
    quote:
    Adam Rittenberg, ESPN Staff Writer

Purdue coach Jeff Brohm today called a report that he's taking the Louisville job "completely false and complete speculation." Brohm addressed the situation with players after practice and "put it to bed, because we have a lot of things to concentrate on." Brohm said he has an open-door policy if any want to discuss things they're hearing about him.

posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Purdue coach Jeff Brohm today called a report that he's taking the Louisville job "completely false and complete speculation." Brohm addressed the situation with players after practice and "put it to bed, because we have a lot of things to concentrate on." Brohm said he has an open-door policy if any want to discuss things they're hearing about him.

I like the guy and hope he stays at Purdue. Booster clubs come up with all kinds of money when they want something. The denials from the coach do not mean a lot. Remember how many times Saban said he was not leaving LSU?

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    For an 20 team league, I'd like to see the following teams added:
    Notre Dame
    Iowa State
    Kansas
    Kansas St
    Pittsburg - rivalry with Penn State and good history
    Louisville - midwest and good basketball

ND is gonna stay where they are at. In fact I would like to see them truly Independent again rather than playing the required ACC teams. The whole Shamrock series needs to go as well. ND used to play Purdue nearly every year and it was a good rivalry.

The Karmanator
    Picture of Chance
    posted Hide Post
    I am shocked to hear MN is the favorite against NWU. I thought this would be a blow out for NWU they are ranked 22 in the nation for crying out loud. Searching around it looks like the odds are kind of all over the place, but ESPN has Gophers by 2 points. It would great if they win but it doesn't seem likely to me. The weather certainly helps MN

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Anybody else watching the shocking tOSU @ MD game in Overtime?

posted Hide Post
    yep.

posted Hide Post
    Going for two. Urban looks stressed.

Bad dog!
    Picture of justjoe
    posted Hide Post
    WHAT!
    A!
    GAME!

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Great finish but I would not have went for 2.

Bad dog!
    Picture of justjoe
    posted Hide Post
    Aaaaand here we go again.... Indiana 7, Michigan 3