SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2018-19 Big Ten Football Thread - NYD Bowls on Pg 20
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2018-19 Big Ten Football Thread - NYD Bowls on Pg 20 Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
If State doesn’t shore up their defense they’ll have a tough go with OSU. And that makes me very sad Frown
Agreed.

They really struggled against the Illini having the 6’4” 215 qb that is a good runner (nice parallel to tOSU’s Haskins) with the added threats of the evasive running back (Corbin) and the hard running RB (Epstein). tOSU’s Dual running backs Weber and Dobbins are much more talented.

AS far as pass D, PSU only made 1 sack and forced 1 INT. The Illini’s QB is a true freshman whereas tOSU’s Haskins is a sophomore who saw action in about half of last year’s games.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Wendy's twitter account strikes again Big Grin

https://twitter.com/Wendys/sta...loss%2F1395942002%2F

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Amazing seeing the number of Twits pissed off at Wendy's Twitter feed.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cornhusker fans do not like to be embarassed like this. Being from Nebraska is already bad enough.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Cornhusker fans do not like to be embarassed like this. Being from Nebraska is already bad enough.

Hey, fuck you, Mikey

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey, fuck you, Mikey

Just kidding. I remember the teams from the 1970s and the National Championships.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Hey, fuck you, Mikey

Just kidding. I remember the teams from the 1970s and the National Championships.

OK, then so am I. Peace

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK, then so am I. Peace

I had the pleasure of hearing Bob Newton speak at an Addiction Conference a few years back. He was a member of the National Championship 1970 Nebraska team and went on to play for the Bears. He worked as an Addictions Counselor for quite a number of years at the Betty Ford Clinic. Very funny and impressive guy. Made a real difference in the world by reason of his work in addiction. Thanks for your response.

Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
I’m late to the party this year, thanks again to tatortodd for starting it, again, I’m a little surprised that Nebraska is not doing better, probably got caught up in the whole Frost being the savior thing. Ohio State is once again a pain in the ass, and the Badgers are going to have a much tougher go than last year to get another chance at them. Well, I’m finally back in the thread, it’s gonna be a great year! Good luck to all!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I knew the Badgers/Hawkeyes game would be tight, but not that tight.

Badgers secondary looked horrible. They kept getting burnt on long passes, either by the Hawkeye receiver pulling a good move or the Badger secondary interfering.

Hornibrook was unimpressive in all but the go-ahead drive near the end.

The Badgers got lucky...with the stop on 4th and 1 at their 4 yard line, and the big goof by the Hawkeye punt return team accidentally running into the ball.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Week 4 Saturday Wrap-up:
I already wrapped up the Friday game on page 3 so this only covers to Saturday games. I was traveling so I just caught highlights, but sound like I missed a couple good games.
  • NE @ #19 UofM on FS1 at 11:00 - I was correct that UofM wins and covers, but I didn't think it'd be that lopsided. Here is a stat I picked up from Big Ten Network's Final Drive - On 6 offensive plays NE got a combined 112 yards and on the other 48 offensive plays they got a combined 10 yards.
  • #23 Boston College @ Purdue on ESPN2 at 11:00 - I was correct that the Spoilermakers would make their first appearance of 2018 and pull off the upset. The offense that was present last week was back this week, and the defense that appeared in the 4Q last week was even better this week. I'm looking forward to watching this on the DVR.
  • MN @ MD on BTN at 11:00 - Boy was I wrong about the Gophers pulling off the upset as the Terps dominated the entire game. The Gophers gave up 3 TDs for over 50 yards Eek
  • #24 MSU @ IU on BTN at 6:30 - I was correct that the Sparties would win but was incorrect on failing to cover. Sparties lead by 14 to 21 points most of the game. Lewerke is carrying the O on his back and the defense is excellent, but the offensive line needs to step up their rush blocking if they're going to be a contender. They had 1 big rushing play for a 75 yard TD, but the other 39 carries were held to 56 yards.
  • #18 WI @ IA on FOX at 7:30 - I was incorrect going with the Hawkeyes to pull off the upset and tip my hat to the Badgers for pulling off a big road win. The highlights make it sound like I missed an excellent back and forth game until the Badgers scored 14 points in the last 57 seconds.

Kudos
    Both Friday and Saturday games:
  • PSU RB Sanders. He was a beast with 200 yards rushing on 22 carries for 3 TDs including a 48 yard TD.
  • PSU QB McSorley. They really didn't pass much until the 4th quarter, but McSorley had 92 yards rushing and 3 TDs passing on only 19 attempts. Being a threat running and a seasoned QB what he does after handing off the ball takes men out of the pursuit of the RB. Little things that make a difference.
  • UofM's offensive line. They lead the way for 285 yards rushing including 4 rushing TDs, only gave up 1 sack, and allowed the QBs time for 2 passing TDs.
  • UofM's defense. They were dominant holding NE to 93 yards passing and 39 yards rushing while snagging an INT, grabbing a fumble, 4 sacks, and 14 tackles for a loss.
  • Purdue's QB Blough. 296 yards passing for 3 TDs and 0 INTs. Only negative is that he fumbled once. Nice follow-up to last week's 572 yards passing for 3 TDs.
  • Purdue's D. Their front 7 managed 4 sacks, snagged 2 out of the 4 INTs, held BC to 85 yards rushing, and only gave up 1 rushing TD. The DBs snagged 2 INTs, held BC to 144 yards passing, and only gave up 1 passing TD. BC was rated #23 and their offense had been averaging 292 yards passing, 4.3 passing TDs, 286 yards rushing, and 2.7 rushing TDs.
  • MD's offensive line. The hogs opened up holes for 315 yards rushing, 2 RBs over 100 yards, and 4 rushing TDs.
  • MSU's defense. Little brother may very well have the best rush defense in the State of Michigan. They held the Hosers to 29 yards rushing and 0 rushing TDs which is a big contrast to the Hosers average of 235 yards rushing and 1.7 rushing TDs. Excluding garbage time (119 yards passing including 1 TD), their pass D held the Hosers to 153 yards passing, 1 passing TD, snagged 2 INTs, and had 4 sacks.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    The Iowa/Wisconsin game was back and forth.
    The big difference was Wisconsin did not have any turn overs and Iowa had 3 and 2 of the 3 led to Wisconsin scoring.

Posts: 134 | Location: HENDERSON, NEVADA | Registered: December 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
    Picture of TKO
    posted Hide Post
    Ill chime in early for next weeks game (OSU at PSU)

The Bucks will miss Bosa next week. It may well be the difference maker in the game. Getting pressure on McSorley will be difficult and playing him in the run game is going to be critical. OSU's D has given up way too many big yardage plays to date this year. They aren't tackling as well as they have in years past either.

They are young, and I wish this game were later. PSU beats them next week without the pass rush and speed of Bosa.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Week 5:
    For all of the procrastinators out there, you need to predict who is going to be in the Big Ten Championship before 6:30 Central Time (All times Central time). The reason is that the biggest match-up of the Big Ten East season occurs today. In addition to that game, we have 1 non-conference game, 3 conference matchups, and 5 teams on bye weeks.
  • Cent MI @ #21 MSU at 11:00 on FS1 - Zero odds services are giving info on this lopsided match-up. MSU wins by double digits.
  • IU @ Rutgers at 11:00 on BTN - depending on which odds service you believe the Hosers are favored by 16 to 17 points. Rutgers is just plain awful on both sides of the ball, but IU is a team on the on the way up. Hosers win and cover.
  • Purdue @ NE at 2:30 on BTN - depending on which odds service you believe my Boilermakers are favored by 3 to 3.5 points. Nebraska has had a rough go defending against good passing teams, and Purdue's Pass O has put up 860 yards passing and 6 TDs in the past two weeks. Additionally, NE's nose guard is out which will affect their rush D. Purdue's D has been tough the past 5 quarters and that will continue on to today. Purdue wins and covers.
  • #14 UofM @ NWU at 3:30 on Fox - depending on which odds service you believe the Wolverines are favored by 14.5 to 15.5 points. NWU's O has been struggling against teams like Duke and Akron and UofM's defense is orders of magnitude better. NWU's defense has been struggling whereas UofM's offense has been clicking on passing and their rushing has bounced back. Wolverines win and cover.
  • #4 tOSU @ #9 PSU at 6:30 on ABC - the Buckeyes are unanimously favored by 3.5 points. This is the key match-up of the season in the Big Ten east. Winner retains a shot at college playoffs and loser spends remainder of season competing for a good bowl game. Both teams have explosive offenses with Heisman hopefuls at QB who are dual threats (i.e. run and pass). PSU has the edge with McSorley's experience playing in big games. PSU has one of the best O-lines in NCAAF and tOSU is without their star Bosa. PSU pulls off the upset.

•  
    Bookers Bourbon
    and a good cigar
    Picture of Johnny 3eagles
    posted Hide Post
    Yup. Penn State for the win!

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
    Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
    You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    We've had some pretty good football so far today. The first 4 games ended up the way they were supposed to but a few teams made it more interesting than expected (more on this later).

The PSU and tOSU game so far is living up to the hype.

posted Hide Post
    The stats from the Nebraska Purdue game looked with Big !2 numbers, over 1000 yards total offense combined.

Posts: 134 | Location: HENDERSON, NEVADA | Registered: December 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bad dog!
    Picture of justjoe
    posted Hide Post
    Halftime: Penn State 13, Ohio State 7. OSU has been back on their heels all first half, but I don't expect that to last. PSU will need to crank up their offense for the win. This will go down to the wire, I think, and it could go either way.

Michigan struggled against Northwestern, and they haven't hit the hard part of their schedule yet.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    About all I’ll say about Purdue/Nebraska is that Drew Brees can retire now, his heir apparent will be in the bigs soon.

Go ahead punk, make my day
    posted Hide Post
    I think tOSU screwed up going for it on 4th at the 50yd line...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post