SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2018-19 Big Ten Football Thread - NYD Bowls on Pg 20
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 20
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2018-19 Big Ten Football Thread - NYD Bowls on Pg 20 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yeah, OSU and MIch and all should schedule Liberty. Middle tenn, Louisiana State, the Citadel, Austin Peay, UMass, Stephen F. Austin, Murray State,Tenn State, N. Texas, Northwestern State, La. Monroe, Charleston Southern among others.
Then The big ten can boast about being the best in the country.
Cupcake city in the south east.
The kids at those schools are usually not as big, strong or as fast and there are not that many top players. Getting hurt in those games is harder because of the listed differences.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad OSU won and this season has been difficult.
Loss of Bosa and an offense that doesn't look all that good sometimes.
I'm torn whether they should be included in the playoffs or not. They won the Big10 conference but the loss to Purdue hurts.
Have to wait and see.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Yeah, OSU and MIch and all should schedule Liberty. Middle tenn, Louisiana State, the Citadel, Austin Peay, UMass, Stephen F. Austin, Murray State,Tenn State, N. Texas, Northwestern State, La. Monroe, Charleston Southern among others.
The kids at those schools are usually not as big, strong or as fast and there are not that many top players. Getting hurt in those games is harder because of the listed differences.

Don't forget Purdue in your list of no name teams.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
As a lifelong Buckeye, the game last night is the perfect example of why they don't belong in the playoffs.

For a very young team to start the year, they had a fine season, albeit with struggles along the way. Unfortunately they just seem like they are still missing a piece or two.

The loss of Bosa had a bigger impact than I think anyone could have expected. It is unfortunate that he made the choice he made, but shit happens.

Ill be happy with a Rose Bowl berth. I think OU deserves the spot. Damn sure Georgia doesn't. Fuck Saban and the rest of the SEC trying to get them in. If he wanted em in so bad he should have let them win. No chance Bama gets left out.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Put the top 20 teams in the BIG and most would have Purdue's record.

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TKO:
Fuck Saban and the rest of the SEC trying to get them in. If he wanted em in so bad he should have let them win. No chance Bama gets left out.
Honestly I think Saban would be relieved to not have to play the Dawgs again, and they shouldn't have to.

Last 2 times they've met, Bama has won. Enough already.

I think the Dawgs Vs tOSU in a Rose Bowl would be great to see "what's what". But then the loser would say "Oh we didn't have the motivation to win since we weren't in the CFP". Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Excuses, there are ALWAYS excuses.

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by TKO:
Fuck Saban and the rest of the SEC trying to get them in. If he wanted em in so bad he should have let them win. No chance Bama gets left out.
Honestly I think Saban would be relieved to not have to play the Dawgs again, and they shouldn't have to.

Last 2 times they've met, Bama has won. Enough already.

I think the Dawgs Vs tOSU in a Rose Bowl would be great to see "what's what". But then the loser would say "Oh we didn't have the motivation to win since we weren't in the CFP". Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Excuses, there are ALWAYS excuses.

If the OSU that played Michigan showed up, it would be a good game. If the OSU that played Northwestern did, Georgia wins easily.

Agree that they shouldnt have to play Georgia again. Don't see how anyone could even politic for them beating out a 1 loss team (OU) who beat the team that beat them.

OSU just doesn't have the resume to crack the top 4 with an ugly loss hanging there.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:

OSU just doesn't have the resume to crack the top 4 with an ugly loss hanging there.

This is where I'm at and I am a BIG Buckeye fan. A drubbing by Purdue cannot be overlooked IMO.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
quote:

This is where I'm at and I am a BIG Buckeye fan. A drubbing by Purdue cannot be overlooked IMO.

I'm a diehard. I've watched and re-watched each game, and I just don't think they are quite there. Had OU lost they would be in by virtue of sucking less.

Personally, I would just as soon not see another epic ass beating in the playoffs.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

do you know about college football?
Have the afore mentioned teams

You are showing your ignorance about college football "BRO" or is it bias?

When have these afore mentioned teams been in the BCS?? NEVER.
Play BCS teams and get to the playoffs.
if that does not matter then UCF needs to be in period.

If OSU would have scheduled the Citadel instead of Purdue and Mich scheduled Austin Peay instead of Notre Dame, OSU would be in the playoffs and Mich would be in the Rose Bowl.
But when the Big Ten quit playing lower division teams, the Sec doubled down. You can throw Fla Atlantic in there too.

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas@Last:

[/QUOTE]

Put the top 20 teams in the BIG and most would have Purdue's record.[/QUOTE]

Who would Texas rather play? Purdue this year or Fla Atlantic? Not Purdue or even MARYLAND RIGHT?

posted Hide Post
Most of you guys are over rating some of the other teams. What good team did Ga. Beat? Fla??
Florida is not very good this year.
I think clearly Clemson and Ala are the top 2.
Notre Dame has just won games, but did not have to play an extra game, they should be no higher than 4 because they do not play a conference CHampionship.

I think OSU has looked down at times, heck the coach cannot have any preseason contact or practice with the team, plagued by injury after injury and they still were able to post a 12-1 season playing against some of including the best Defenses in the country, unlike Oklahoma in their conference, serious lack of D in that league.
OSU finally gets it together and it is too late?

Why not just choose the final 4 after week 9 or 10?

posted Hide Post
No bias homie, I don't have a dog in the fight. Yeah, I live in SEC country but root for the underdog and hope for 1 thing every week --> CHAOS.

OSUs biggest issue was consistency. They had none, you never knew who was gonna show up, week in and week out. That is why they ended up #6 behind OK / GA teams that stumbled a bit, but had a lot more consistency.

posted Hide Post
quote:
OSU finally gets it together and it is too late?
Debatable. Yeah, they beat Northwestern but the game was closer than the score indicates. Vs #21.

They had to put on a football clinic by shutting out their opponent and putting 50+ on the board to have a chance after OK won earlier in the day, IMO. But they didn't look dominant until the middle of the 4th.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Big Ten Championship Wrap-up:
#21 Northwestern (NWU) vs #6 Ohio State (tOSU) at 7:00 Central Time on Fox. I was correct on the Buckeyes winning and covering. The Wildcats played hard, played with a lot of heart, made some nice half-time corrections, and played disciplined football (i.e. had much fewer penalties than tOSU) but in the end just didn't have enough speed and talent to match the Buckeyes. The second and fourth quarter are examples of what happens when you're tired and your DBs are matched up with faster WRs. The Wildcat front 7 played a fine game with 4 sacks and holding the Buckeyes to 108 yards rushing.

Kudos:
  • tOSU players and coaches for earning the Big Ten championship
  • NWU players and coaches for having an 8 win season nobody predicted
  • tOSU QB Haskins. Had a big time performance in front of a national audience. 499 yards passing and 5 TDs on 34 completions (1 INT)
  • tOSU WR Dixon. Hauled in 7 catches for 129 yards and a TD. The 63 yard reception was a great example of how dangerous he is.
  • tOSU WR McLauirin. The senior grabbed 3 passes for 78 yards and 2 TDs. His receptions accounted for half of the Buckeyes 1st half points.
  • tOSU Defense. They really put the pressure on NWU's veteran QB and their 5 sacks and 4 hurries helped forcing 2 INTs and a QB fumble.

Playoff Soap Box:
    Notre Dame was undefeated but played an easy schedule (#26 strength of schedule vs #11 tSOU & #1 GA) and do not play in a conference championship. Additionally, when you look at common opponents:
  • ND squeeked by UofM whereas tOSU whooped them
  • ND squeeked by NWU whereas tOSU whooped them. I say squeeked by as ND didn't pull away until the 2nd NWU DB went out with an injury.
  • ND squeeked by Vanderbilt whereas GA curb stomped them.

If conference championships don't matter then Georgia belongs in there rather than ND or tOSU.

I think Clemson is going to curb stomp ND.

All of this is coming from someone who was raised a ND fan.

They really need to expand the play-offs to 8 games so all conference champs, a team in GA's situation, and undefeated independents have a shot. It works in FCS and they have the same student athlete academic considerations as the big boys.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Yes, I think it's going to be ugly and one of those games a slaughter rule would be helpful at halftime.
    quote:

They really need to expand the play-offs to 8 games so all conference champs, a team in GA's situation, and undefeated independents have a shot. It works in FCS and they have the same student athlete academic considerations as the big boys.

Agreed.

posted Hide Post
    quote:
    It works in FCS and they have the same student athlete academic considerations as the big boys.

Academic considerations. That is a joke. What are the majors of these students and graduation rates?

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Woke up today..
    Great day!
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Yes, I think it's going to be ugly and one of those games a slaughter rule would be helpful at halftime.
    quote:

Agreed.

Agreed agreed. I think 8 teams would be more fair. Well maybe not as fair to say Alabama these days as they would have to play more games but it would open up the list of legitimate contenders IMO.

With all the variables, I think it is extremely hard to say who the top 4 teams are at the end of the season.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
    quote:
    It works in FCS and they have the same student athlete academic considerations as the big boys.

Academic considerations. That is a joke. What are the majors of these students and graduation rates?
    It's one of their excuses, and agree it's a half-assed excuse. Also, Div 1 basketball players make playoffs work too.

Money is of course a concern, but no college or TV network are going broke during March Madness. You could keep the top bowl games as play-off sites for 8 team or even 16 team playoffs.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Since the CFP started, I've notice that many of the (far too many) Bowl games are jokes / blowouts where one team doesn't show up.

With 8 teams I think you would regain some of those bowls as being 'legit' games. And if it's 'too many games', drop 1 from the regular season.