SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tiger Woods in serious roll over accident
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tiger Woods in serious roll over accident Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
2020 spike due to COVID and it was a measly 13%.

When life returns to normal golf will go back to dying again.

Perhaps you didn't read the second of the two articles the URLs of which I posted?

Summary, in a graphic:

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Yep, I will respectfully disagree that golf is doing well. Covid upturns are a blip. The stat that is most telling is that fewer new players start the game nowadays.

The State Of Golf For 2019 -- An Industry Roundtable (Note: Pre-Wu Flu)

Summary, in a graphic:

As for getting tee time: Perhaps it depends upon what course, what time of day, or what time of the year? My neighbors and I had minimal problems last season, but there were times we had to choose a course other than our first choice. Near the end of the season it went crazy, however. For the last month you couldn't get tee time anywhere around here for love nor money. And we're lousy with public courses around here. I probably have twelve of them w/in a half hour drive.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I think what Woods did was rejuvenate the game by drawing in a much younger demographic that had always been thought of as an old mans game.

NO, what he did was dominate and EVERYONE loves a winner.
So we watched an icon that hasn't been available since Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer.
Wen Tiger re-emerged onto the scene after his injuries and won the 2018 Tour Championship it was never more evident than the literal sea of people following him on the final hole.
To me this win was more spectacular than even his 2019 Masters just on the shear come-back status (although the last Masters was pretty spectacular too).
All of this domination translated to viewers and has benefited all Pro Golfers in a BIG way financially.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
2020 spike due to COVID and it was a measly 13%.

When life returns to normal golf will go back to dying again.

Perhaps you didn't read the second of the two articles the URLs of which I posted?

Summary, in a graphic:

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Yep, I will respectfully disagree that golf is doing well. Covid upturns are a blip. The stat that is most telling is that fewer new players start the game nowadays.

The State Of Golf For 2019 -- An Industry Roundtable (Note: Pre-Wu Flu)

Summary, in a graphic:

As for getting tee time: Perhaps it depends upon what course, what time of day, or what time of the year? My neighbors and I had minimal problems last season, but there were times we had to choose a course other than our first choice. Near the end of the season it went crazy, however. For the last month you couldn't get tee time anywhere around here for love nor money. And we're lousy with public courses around here. I probably have twelve of them w/in a half hour drive.

Your whole argument is based on graphics coming from the National Golf Foundation... no bias there! That's like asking the DNC for graphics showing states that had voter fraud.

What did you expect them to say? That they're dying a slow death and they should give up all hope? For fuck sake they actually used this gem: "More than one-third (36%) of the U.S. population – over 107 million people in total – played, watched or read about golf last year."

Are they seriously putting that bullshit in there? Are they counting the people channel surfing and the 3 seconds of golf they watched? Someone who read a headline? Pathetic.

What about this one: "Interest in playing golf among non-golfers is at an all-time high, with 14.7 million people saying they would like to play golf on a course."

Whoa baby! 14.7 million people said they'd like to play golf on a course (yet didn't). How did they get such an accurate count? Tell me that oh wise one.

Then this one: "there were another 74 million who watched or read about the game without playing"

Amazing. They've got spy cameras in people's homes knowing exactly when someone picks up an article about golf and reads the whole thing. Google is jealous.

And last but not least: "with an estimated 24.2 million people playing golf on a course"

How do they know there are 24.2 million unique players? Explain to everyone how they arrived at that number because there's no references.

That "source" is a dog a pony show with pie in the sky numbers that makes golf sound more popular than it really is. I'll make it real simple for you: If golf was doing so well courses wouldn't be closing and golf courses are closing. If you asked someone to invest in opening a new golf course they just might laugh at you before hanging up. I don't care about COVID spike numbers. If you want to play that game anal probing in China is at an all time high and our diplomats are in on it.

Posts: 790 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Finally released info from investigation... going nearly 2x speed limit. 84-87mph in a 45mph zone, still carrying 75mph when struck the tree.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports...o-be-revealed-report

”... Los Angeles Sheriff’s Capt. James C. Powers said the black box revealed that Woods’ acceleration pedal percentage, which is the pressure applied to the accelerator pedal at the time of the crash, was at 99% at all of the areas of impact in the collision.

"There was no evidence of braking throughout this collision," Powers said. "It is speculated and believed that Tiger Woods inadvertently hit the accelerator instead of the brake pedal causing that 99% grading on the accelerator pedal."...”

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 911Boss,

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10919 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So assuming that he "inadvertently" hit the accelerator instead of the brake, don't you think he would have recognized the error before reaching 85 mph?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The short fat one stops the car.

The long skinny one makes it go faster.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suicide attempt or, shitty driver?

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I have one. 0ne one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one-thousand, full throttle with 375hp. About all it takes if you were already over 45.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1990 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We do not have the full story and never will.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Agreed.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1990 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
He was late. He was on the phone.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why do you need more? Confused

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
He was late. He was on the phone.

That would be my guess as well.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why are you assuming I want more? I am at best ambivalent about the issue. My remark refers to the preferential treatment some individuals receive. The Kennedys and their driving habits would be an example.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
"I know there’s some saying somehow he received special or preferential treatment of some kind, that is absolutely false...."
mmmkay, so when does he get a citation for excessive speed and/or reckless driving?

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
"I know there’s some saying somehow he received special or preferential treatment of some kind, that is absolutely false...."
mmmkay, so when does he get a citation for excessive speed and/or reckless driving?

I doubt a citation can be written with only readouts from a black box, even in California.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why are you assuming I want more? I am at best ambivalent about the issue.
My remark refers to the preferential treatment some individuals receive.
The Kennedys and their driving habits would be an example.

You don't know that anything nefarious has happened nor does anything indicate that it has.
Seems that you don't trust any of the fact because .... he is like the Kennedys?
Not sure that I can connect the dots here.
Generalizing might not be the best thing here.

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

I doubt a citation can be written with only readouts from a black box, even in California.

I bet they could simply do forensics; measure skid marks (if any), impact to the curb, tree, etc. They could figure out to the single digit how fast he was going.

Of course, they wouldn't likely do that for Joe Sixpack, either, since there wasn't any innocent bystanders hurt.

I will bet that Hyundai (Genesis, whoever) is happy, knowing this potential black eye can't be pinned onto them for a defective vehicle. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You don't know that anything nefarious has happened nor does anything indicate that it has.
Seems that you don't trust any of the fact because .... he is like the Kennedys?
Not sure that I can connect the dots here.
Generalizing might not be the best thing here

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why are you being so contentious? I simply stated that we will never know the full story, and we will not. You are sounding like a troll.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I'm not one to cut him extra slack for being a celeb etc, but this sounds like acceleration by pedal error.

The first cases of this that I'm aware of were in the 1970s, in Dodge cars, IIRC. In changing the mechanics of the car they made the driver's wheel well too small and shifted all the pedals to the left relative to the position of the driver's seat. As a result people would try to slam on the brakes but slam on the accelerator instead. His continuous acceleration with the accelerator down 99% sounds like he was trying to slam on the brake and missed. The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that an estimated 16,000 accidents resulting from pedal errors occur each year.

More recent examples 2001 4 door Dodge Stratus: Brake and gas pedal too close. The two door model is further apart.

Over the last 20 years there are a number of reports among different Hyundai models of pedal error acceleration - especially for drivers who are not accustomed to their vehicles. Several reports involve people who have been driving a Hyundai for only a few days.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post