SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Life Questions Make You Ponder?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Life Questions Make You Ponder? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
Does consciousness exist after the body dies

Well, not if you are a Bible reader.

Psalm 146:3,4 -"On that very day his thoughts perish."
Ecclesiastes 9:5,10 -"The dead know nothing at all."
Ezekiel 18:4 -"The soul who sins is the one who will die."

Some may disagree, and that's fine.

H&K-Guy
Ah, very good! As a Christian, my position is the dead are dead. Why else would we be given the hope of resurrection?

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
If matter is made of atoms...and atoms are electrons orbiting a nucleus.

Why is it then two objects touch, the electrons don't collapse upon their respective nuclei and all matter collapses in a giant chain reaction...?

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Why do people ponder life questions?

Why do people question life ponders?? Wink

Posts: 1625 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
The theory that the universe was contained in a point that expanded is dimensionally limited thinking. Consider what a sphere crossing a two dimensional plane would look like then add more dimensions.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I am probably in a philosophical state of mind. My Mother in Law passed on 9/1. She was 89. She was a wonderful woman. I consider myself blessed to have spent time with her before her passing. She was ready. She woke every morning over her last three months asking "why am I still here?"

What makes me ponder? When my time is here, why can't I decide to move on? Mind you, I am 64 and want many years to live life to the fullest. However, when I am reduced to existing, I want to go on my own terms.

Sorry to be a bummer. It was difficult seeing a wonderful person in that state.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
Oh come on, no one has even mentioned the greatest unanswered question of all time:

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Lolly Pop?

Anyone who ever saw the television commercial from the 70s knows it only takes three.

Why isn't the opposite of overwhelmed, whelmed?

Because Underwhelmed is.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
How do you get to understand the right questions well enough to ask the right questions?

Are there any limits to infinity?

What if we live/exist in multiple dimensions at any given instance?

How do we know that dreams are unreal life and consciousness is real life but not visa versa?

What if we really are living in Plato's cave and don't see reality at all - only shadows of it?

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
If humans evolved from apes, why are there still apes?

When you buy a new style of clothes, why are there still old clothes in your closet?

The “humans evolved from apes” is a fallacy. Starting there is never going to get you the right answer.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
Why do we wear a pair of pants but just one shirt?

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where ARE my damn car keys?

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The nutrition information says there are 2.5 servings in the package.

There are not 2.5 people in the household.

How is this supposed to work?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
As I pondered yesterday while hiking Matsu Glacier; If I pee on a glacier, will scientists be analyzing my DNA 2,000 years from now?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Why to ppl try to gain a favourable position with God when God doesn't show favoritism ?

Are there degrees to Gods love and care ?

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
If M&Ms melt in your mouth and not in your hands, what do they do in your armpits?

quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
If the Universe is expanding, then what's outside the Universe?

In all seriousness, I have asked myself this question more times than you can count. Sitting aside a campfire looking up at the Milky Way and thinking to myself, what's outside of this...and what's outside of that...and what's outside of that? Etc....

Sometimes, I guess, there are no answers.

Stephen Hawking remarked in his book, A Brief History in Time, “In this way, Edwin Hubble worked out the distances to nine different galaxies. We now know that our galaxy is only one of some hundred thousand million that can be seen using modern telescopes, each galaxy itself containing some hundred thousand million stars.”

So, what’s beyond all of this?

According to our current understanding of physics, the answer to this question is "nothing."

Not "nothing" in the sense of empty space without anything in it - "nothing" in the sense that there's no "outside the universe" for anything to be in in the first place.

For this to make any sense at all, you have to understand that when physicists talk about the universe "expanding," they don't really mean space is sitting still and all the stars and stuff are shooting across it getting farther apart, they mean space itself is getting bigger.

If you picture a piece of the universe as a bunch of dots (stars) on a piece of graph paper (space), the universe expanding means that the piece of paper is getting stretched out, and the squares on the graph paper are getting bigger, not that the dots are moving across the paper (although of course, that happens too).

The other part necessary for it to make any sense at all is that, according to our current understanding, the universe doesn't have an "edge" or an "end." There are basically two possibilities, either the universe is infinite (it goes on forever, so there's no end) or it's finite, but kind of loops back on itself (so if you travel far enough in one direction, you end up back where you started).

The universe looping back on itself is impossible to visualise in 3D space, but you can do it easily by taking away a dimension. Make "the universe" be the surface of a ball. The surface doesn't have an end, and if you travel straight across the surface for one entire circumference, you end up back where you started.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
*Snipped*
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
Are there degrees to Gods love and care ?

In my experience yes, most certainly. If there is a God at all.

Seems more likely we're all alone out here as far as deities go.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Should I stay or should I go?

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Here is an answer. Now I need to come up with a question.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Does my border collie obsessively chase her tennis ball because she likes to? Or because she thinks I LIKE throwing it?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
"Is it safe"

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
Do golfers play doctor on Wednesday?

Do the trees moving make the wind blow?

Is it O.K. to yell movie in a crowded fire house?

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post