SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Transitions Lenses... good, bad, indifferent, gimmick?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transitions Lenses... good, bad, indifferent, gimmick? Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I had them when I was wearing glasses, and liked them a lot. After dual cataract surgeries I no longer wear glasses except for reading, so I don't have the benefit of the transition lenses any more. Bummer!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I have been using them for about twenty years. I would not even think about getting a set of lenses without some type of transition lenses. They are not perfect, but they work for me. They do take a longgg time to lighten in the cold.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Last time I looked into it, was told my prescription was too strong for them Confused

Now they have transitions contacts, but haven't given them a try.

My dad has a transition visor for his motorcycle helmet, a Shoei RF1200 IIRC, and he loves it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I like my transition lenses, but they don't work well for driving due to coatings/tinting on the windshield that prevent the glasses from darkening.

So I have a pair of prescription sunglasses in the car.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Transition lenses are a compromise! I went down this road several decades ago. I liked the early versions, especially the browns that lightened to yellow,photo greys are ok but after many different brands and the transition from single vision to progressive lenses I have settled on three versions of glasses - one, a light transition progressive for inside and mild sunlight, two, progressive sunglasses for bright sun and snow and my third pair is single vision, medium focal point for computer and handgun shooting (inside). If you find 'one size fits all', that's great. I prefer to use the right tool for the job and avoid the marketing hype.

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My son likes them. He doesn't drive so it doesn't matter. My daughter hates it because it doesn't work well with the tint in her car windows. So I get her prescription sunglasses through Oakley which is what I used to do before I had Lasik.

I'd much prefer a dedicated set versus transitions. I get my kids their regular glasses through Zenni. They have a transition option so if you want to try it out for cheaper, I would go there.

Transitions from the eye doctor for my son was $205. Transitions from Zenni was $57. Works fine for him.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have em. Like them for the same reason as others. No switching back & forth with sunglasses. Work well enough for me (ohio, so not AZ bright). No tint on windows, so no experience there. Had them probably the last 15 years.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I have plenty of sunglasses. I have been an avid Oakley collector for more than 20 years.
While most aren’t prescription, my prescription isn’t that strong anyways. I just wanted the convenience of all all in one lens.

I guess it’s back to two pairs all the time, which is fine. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Since transitions don't work inside a car, I have a pair of subscription sunglasses to drive during the day. Zenni is a great bargain for things like that.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
You ain't seen "bright" until you're out in a fresh snowfall on a clear, cold winter's day. My Transitions lenses turn black as night in those conditions.

They also darken quite well on sunny summer days.

What they won't do is darken much if they're behind any other glass that has any UV blocking at all. E.g.: In my car they do very, very little. I knew that going in.

I did not buy my lenses at Costco, and the glasses, frame, lenses, and all, cost me ±$700.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
When I wore glasses I enjoyed transitions. I didn’t like wearing contacts for sunglasses and felt the clip on sunglass attachment made the glasses too heavy.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Re polarized lenses: I went into a fast food place today (Pollo Tropical) to pick up some grilled chicken for my wife. I looked up at the electronic menu display and all the panels were black. I thought there might be a system problem, then I remembered that I was wearing polarized sunglasses.

I took my glasses off, rotated them 90 degrees, so that they were vertical instead of horizontal, and the menu screen sprang back to life.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Transitions-brand glasses are what I have now. They don't darken at all in the car. Being in the desert, I hate them.
The previous pair was another manufacturer that did darken in the car and everywhere else. I will go with the off-brand, next pair.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I spent 8 years wishing they were for me. You want them dark you say, wear them in sub zero light they go nearly black.

Not a fan.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have transition lenses and there are different tiers of quality. I have the highest and mine are able to get somewhat dark while driving inside a vehicle, get very dark very fast outside in the sunlight, and take a long time to get back to normal when I walk into a building. Overall I really like mine. There are times when I walk into some buildings I have to take them off so I can see as they are too dark.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have transition added to my progressives, the glasses I wear the most (BTW, transition is what it's called for plastic lenses. Glass lenses call it photo-gray). As mentioned, they darken pretty quickly in sunlight, but don't go back to clear as fast once you're inside. They work well for me in AZ. Driving I don't need so much darkening, but outside sure do. The sunlight in AZ is very intense.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
FWIW, there are several manufacturers that have developed an electronic version of the concept. Go outside and touch a button, instant sunglasses, inside touch it again, back to clear. A bit pricey and clunky looking at the moment, but that will change.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post