SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Transitions Lenses... good, bad, indifferent, gimmick?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transitions Lenses... good, bad, indifferent, gimmick? Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
So I go to get my glasses replaced. Stick with my old Oakley Tincup frames as they are incredibly comfy.
I opt up for the “Transitions” lenses at Costco. The lady in the optical dept gets a sample pair and introduces them to UV light, and they darken. I’m quite surprised and decide to get them. I go for the brown, as I Ofer the contrasting color.

I’m excited! Oorah! No more swapping sunglasses for glasses.

I get the glasses, and wear them outside. It’s Arizona. No holdbacks on the sunshine. It’s blazing. They darken to about 80%. Meaning 80% of the light is allowed through. They aren’t even a sunglasses lens. It’s a gimmick.
The lightest pair of sunglasses I have is so much more darker, it’s not even a comparison.

What are your experiences with these? Good, bad, indifferent?

That said, damn, the new prescription is great. I can see again.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Mine darken fairly quick but don't lighten back up as quick once inside. I like them and would do it again. I wear contacts most of the time.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, it depends on which version you get. I use Wiley-X glasses for driving, shooting and other outdoor sports. These are prescription glasses and I got them with the Wiley-X most aggressive UV sensitive lenses (they have their own version-not Transitions). Mine will almost black out in high UV situations. Note that the lenses are UV sensitive not light sensitive so just because it is a bright sunny day does not mean that there is more UV intensity. In fact, my glasses usually get darkest on cloudy days when the UV exposure is highest.

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
traditional 'Transition' lenses will NOT darken in cars that have IV dampened windows either.

I've had pairs that started darker 'from neutral' and those which didn't get 'as dark as quick'.

I've worn variations for years. I prefer the characteristics to 'regular sun glasses' most of the time.

However just last month my new Geezer Goggles, with a couple of extra needs built in, transition from neutral to moderate/darker grey, and are supplemented with a second special 'dark earth green' of some fancy name, polarized, that are wonderful for ultrabright. Very comfortable for long drives into the sunlit desert, for instance. I can change from one to the other pair depending on conditions. Rather than PIA, it works like a charm.

In trade, the dark ones do poorly in visualizing the cell phone screen or car radio control screen. And often are 'too dark' to easily read normal text.

Best set of co-specs I've had in over 30 years of eye glasses. Also the best solution to my particular needs. Costco prices and super satisfied with the tools they introduced to fit my needs.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i Have and like. But I did not think they were sunglasses?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I thought indoors they were clear.
I thought outside (not in a car) they were darkened sunglasses.
I feel bamboozled.
That said, it was a minimal cost difference between single vision and single vision transitions.
I just thought by the in store demo, they would be significantly darker.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
I use Transitions most of the time. But as it was pointed out earlier they do not react inside a car. I keep a pair of Drivewear Transitions in the car and also use them as my primary sunglasses. There are times I wished I kept standard clear lens for outdoor use but the combination works pretty fine for me.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
They work well enough for me that I don't even own a pair of sun glasses. One less thing to buy and keep up with.

Funny, a salesman once advised against them, main reason was they would not work in the car. I told him I had a convertible...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I was in Phonix Tuesday and Wednesday this week. My transitions get dark, really dark. The only complaint I have is, like mentioned above, I would like them to lighten up quicker once I go inside. Not sure if you got something different than I have but mine will get "limo tint" dark in bright sunlight.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like mine. Its not sunglasses but its better than nothing by far. I will likely spring for prescription sunglasses when i'm not working nights.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I like mine. They will darken under a helmet visor. I’ve never liked a real dark lens anyway.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Not dark enough in the South, doesn't get dark in cars, doesn't lighten fast enough inside, and not polarized. I wore them for years before I got contacts, I would never go back to them.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I wear contacts 90% of the time, but my glasses are transition lenses.

I find the demo in the store is a bit misleading as the light they use to show the effect is a stronger UV emitter than natural sunlight. So your expectations are skewed from the start. Also, the lenses ate not polarized, so they will never be as good as true sun glasses.

All that aside, they are generally good enough for me. I find that when wearing my glasses, if I step outside in the morning sun I'm completely sun blind for about 25 seconds... then once the lenses stay to darken, I can function again. (I should mention that my eyes are particularly sensitive to sunlight).

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
They work well enough for me that I don't even own a pair of sun glasses. One less thing to buy and keep up with.

Same here.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not nearly dark enough for my liking and not working while driving was a deal breaker for me. I took mine back and got traditional lenses and went with sunglasses.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Takes some gettin used to. I couldn't do it, and fell back to multiple glasses.

Posts: 11356 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had them in my daily wear glasses since I was 14. I still keep polarized sunglasses in the car and boat where Transitions aren't enough.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the color change is slower and less extreme when they are new. It gets faster and better after more exposure to UV

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I have to in my work walk up to a customer's house and knock on their door... One of the cardinal rules in the service business is you never show up with sun glasses on.... in fact you don't even drive up with them on. So, transitions are totally out.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
It can take several cycles to reach maximum darkening. Also, the nature of the chemical reaction is that all factors being equal, they will get darker when it is cold than when hit in the same light conditions.

I tell people, “don’t think of them as sunglasses; think of them as “comfort” lenses”. I say flat out, “you’ll be disappointed if you plan on these being your sunglasses.”

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:

the lenses ate not polarized
That is actually A Good Thing, for my use. LCD screens are polarized, so when wearing polarized sunglasses, the screen will go black at certain angles.

The last time I had transition type lenses was maybe thirty years ago. They were really feeble. Did not get very dark outside, did not clear up completely inside, just varying shades of partial sunglass. They might have (probably have) improved quite a bit in the past 30 years.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post