SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dave Ramsey books
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dave Ramsey books Login/Join 
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted
I know we have a lot of Dave Ramsey fans on board. Never read his books because I'm pretty sure I'm living by the same fiscal rules he suggests. My question is has anybody recommended one of his books to a friend and then see that person alter their spending habits?

My friend certainly produces enough income but her money goes out the door as fast as it comes in. Quite the opposite of me. She is a voracious reader so I think it might work. I'm just not sure someone can read a book and make a change for the better.

Nor does it have to be a Ramsey book. Willing to consider other suggestions.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
People have got to want the change. The books are a tool. Motivation needs to come from within.

Without the proper motivation, the books are useless. Every good example that Dave Ramsey or Suzi Orman can give that spending less, spending carefully when you do have to spend, and making your money work for for, will fall apart when someone can just as easily justify that they $5 a day coffee habit is essential, or their BMW car lease is essential.

Until your friend convinces himself that getting un-poor is essential, there will always be lots of excuses

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
A very high percentage of people who have been successful using the Dave Ramsey plan were gifted his book by someone who cares. In most cases, the giftee continued to live for some time the same way they always have until the chickens come home to roost. At which point they remember the book and then its life changing.
You can't force anyone to change unfortunately. Maybe gift her some tickets to one of his live events?

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I haven't read any Dave Ramsey books but from what I hear when I come across his radio show, he'd have some solid advice.

"Rich Dad, Poor Dad" is another good one.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
Very much so. I teach Financial Peace University to my high school seniors, and I have observed even them make changes to their finances.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I think it falls back on how you were brought up. It is hard to change ones habits.

I have friends that make good money but never save a dime.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Church has offered this program. By what people have said - it can be very helpful.

It is not necessarily sophisticated advice - but it is very good for the target audience.

I haven't done it - but I would recommend it to anyone with money issues. It gives the participant the framework to succeed.

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:It is not necessarily sophisticated advice - but it is very good for the target audience.

I think the target audience is people who are in way over their heads and have absolutely no clue as to the way out. I used to listen to his show, but it seemed like the the same advice 20 times in a row for 2 hours.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I think it falls back on how you were brought up. It is hard to change ones habits.

I have friends that make good money but never save a dime.

Well...she just got rid of her debts but still spends frivously and makes bad decisions. I'm thinking there may be hope.

Went to Amazon. Didn't realize Ramsey had so many titles. Any suggestions for which title?

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
"Rich Dad, Poor Dad" is another good one.

I strongly disagree with this recommendation. Dave Ramsey - yes; Suze Orman - yes; Robert Kiyosaki - hell no.

I watched a couple of Robert Kiyosaki's presentations and tried to read his book but everything about him and his information gives the impression of a snake oil salesman. My impression is that he is another who wanted to capitalize on the financial self-help wave and I didn't find his "help" to have any substance.

PD - your friend may not be ready for a change but having a book readily available that she can pick up at her leisure and interest might start to swing her towards better money management. I suspect, though, that once you give her the book that she'll see you as the primary resource to answer her questions, and that's not a bad thing at all. For a lot of people, being able to talk to a person who practices what they preach on an issue is very effective in getting the ship to steer a better course.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Total Money Makeover is the one that comes with step-by-step with forms for assisting with budgeting, etc.

It's a great book HOWEVER....

It should really be coupled with the Financial Peace University class. The class is inspiring, and if done properly the students are also held accountable in many ways. My wife and I were already pretty much doing what he recommends, but other people in our class saw HUGE gains in their personal finances throughout the course.

I could see where the book alone would be overwhelming and hard to tackle on its own.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9158 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:It is not necessarily sophisticated advice - but it is very good for the target audience.

the target audience is people who are in way over their heads and have absolutely no clue as to the way out.

This is correct IME.

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everybody. I'll get her a book this weekend.