SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tennessee Volkswagen plant rejects unionization
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tennessee Volkswagen plant rejects unionization Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (AP) — Workers at Volkswagen’s plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee, voted Friday night against forming a factory-wide union, handing a setback to the United Auto Workers’ efforts to gain a foothold among foreign auto facilities in the South.

The vote of hourly workers began Wednesday and concluded Friday. Preliminary results show 833 employees voted against representation and 776 voted for it, the German automaker said in a statement. VW said about 93% of the roughly 1,700 eligible employees voted.

“Our employees have spoken,” Frank Fischer, president and CEO of Volkswagen Chattanooga, said in the company statement…”

https://apnews.com/69fe70c9471048fe8da74076f715fec4

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Good. There are days I think I'd like to get back into automotive manufacturing, and going over to Chattanooga wouldn't hurt my feelings, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy working in a union shop at all.

God bless America.

Posts: 13491 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Success in union organizing has a lot to do whether or not secret ballot voting is used.

https://www.heritage.org/polit...ck-vs-secret-ballots

Posts: 9500 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted Hide Post
These may be the same people who did not unionize when the plant was building Saturn cars. If I remember correctly.

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Both the UAW and Volkswagen have been burning up the local airwaves, TV and radio, with ads leading up to this vote...good on Volkswagen workers for rejecting the UAW...the UAW was looking to recoup their loses over the years and they lost another one...
The Saturn plant was in Spring Hill TN and the Volkswagen plant is in Chattanooga.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unions are not very popular in the South, no matter the industry. They were huge in the Rust Belt during the heydays of GM and Ford Motor.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SuhlShooter:
These may be the same people who did not unionize when the plant was building Saturn cars. If I remember correctly.

Perhaps some of the same people, but the Saturn facility was in Spring Hill.

God bless America.

Posts: 13491 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not even close. The Saturn plant is in suburban Nashville (Spring Hill), always has been Union & still builds GM autos. You may be thinking of the Nissan plant, also in suburban Nashville (Smyrna) which has rejected unionization.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Almost.
The Spring Hill facility started as a non-union plant.

This was one of the ways in which Saturn was to be"a new kind of car company," and one of its primary features. It was heavily "employee-involved," but not unionized.

The union took its hold later on.

I could be wrong...

- - - -
Edited spelling.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vthoky,

God bless America.

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The UAW is done. When they voted in the two tier wages they voted for their own long term death. These plants in the South don't want them, that's why they came south.

I've spent almost 30 years now in auto plants in various roles and locations.

Fuck the UAW. They can't die soon enough. I've seen stupidity that makes the government look like a well oiled machine. And solidarity? Ha! These UAW guys would fuck each other for a nickel, and often do. And I've only recently been a manager, most of my career has been on the floor as a technician or process engineer, so even as a worker bee I say the union sucks.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Almost.
The Spring Hill facility started as a non-union plant.

This was one of the ways in which Saturn was to be"a new kind of car company," and one of its primary features. It was heavily "employee-involved," but not unionized.

The union took its old later on.

I could be wrong...

Yes you are wrong. The whole idea behind Saturn was the company and the union working together instead of always being at cross purposes. UAW was involved in the "partnership" from its inception.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Fair enough. Thank you.

God bless America.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Fuck the UAW. They can't die soon enough.

Not much else needs to be said.

Them, and every other labor union IMO.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I'm of the strong opinion the company that deserves a union gets a union.

Clearly VW doesn't deserve a union.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
The UAW is done. When they voted in the two tier wages they voted for their own long term death. These plants in the South don't want them, that's why they came south.

I wish they were. At the plant I work in the UAW is VERY much alive and basically runs the place (and it's a manufacturing plant, not an auto plant.) I've been there almost 2 years and this has been my 1st experience with a union and boy, has it been a bad one. I'm a salaried person and cringe at what I see the union folks get away with. Their contract is up at the end of Feb, 2020 and it could be a very interesting time coming up.

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic: Fuck the UAW. They can't die soon enough. I've seen stupidity that makes the government look like a well oiled machine. And solidarity? Ha! These UAW guys would fuck each other for a nickel, and often do.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who works at that VW plant. We talked about this before the 2014 vote so my memory may not be totally accurate.
According to him, VW has a "works council" which involves mgmt and unions (primarily the German union AGmetal) . If you dont have a union, your facility has no voice on the council which, among other things is where you advocate things like project funding and future product for your plant.

He also said the German mgmt wanted them to unionize - until the American mgmt explained the UAW to them. Big Grin

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nukeandpave:
I have a friend who works at that VW plant. We talked about this before the 2014 vote so my memory may not be totally accurate.
According to him, VW has a "works council" which involves mgmt and unions (primarily the German union AGmetal) . If you dont have a union, your facility has no voice on the council which, among other things is where you advocate things like project funding and future product for your plant.

He also said the German mgmt wanted them to unionize - until the American mgmt explained the UAW to them. Big Grin

Unions are very strong and very popular in Germany. Yes the VW plant has a German style setup which requires a union for its operation. But the UAW isn't like German unions, it's not a partner or a function of the company. It's a separate entity, a parasite that feeds off its host.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
The only people Unions benefit is the Slacker, the democrap politician and the union heads.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8347 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Vaalic-
That was the point of the last paragraph. UAW doesnt just leech off companies, it lies to and cheats its own rank and file members. They recieved 140 million shares of GM stock for the VEBA as part of the bailout - making them a major shareholder with a seat on the GM board of directors! When the FCA "training center" bribery story began to break and high level UAW officials (including the President and multiple VPs) were implicated - including their man on the GM BoD, they sold off enough shares (~40 million) to lose their BoD spot.

A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I only worked in a union plant once in my life back in the early 90s. And as others have said, fuck the unions. They took my dues out of my check every week and did not do one thing to help me, even when I needed them. Those leeches can piss off.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post