SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Coincidence or some sort of link to wife's Facebook page?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coincidence or some sort of link to wife's Facebook page? Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
I was just on the net listening to a teaser bit of an audible book. My wife was doing her Facebook thing and asked me if I had just listened to something about a certain book title.
We both get email on the same email address, but
no email address was disclosed to them. This is too much of a coincidence having an ad from Audible mentioning the exact title of the book I had just been checking on.
I see little ads popping up on different web sites featuring items I had recently searched for, but how can a company follow my tracks on the net and tailor a specific ad for my wife's Facebook account?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Are you using mobile devices, logged into Google? If so google is the culprit

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Does the audio book start off with "Boom chicka, wow, wow"?

If so, one of you might want to delete your search history. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Big Advertisement is watching.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Are you both on home Wi-Fi? Likely tagged your shared IP address and bounced adds back.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Are you both on home Wi-Fi? Likely tagged your shared IP address and bounced adds back.

I guess that's it. First the endless unsubscribing and now this. I guess they'll want us to have them over for supper next.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the disdain for targeted marketing.

I'd much rather get relevant advertising (that supports all of the free content on the net) than to sit through breakfast cereal or pharmaceutical commercials on TV.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
I see little ads popping up on different web sites featuring items I had recently searched for, but how can a company follow my tracks on the net and tailor a specific ad for my wife's Facebook account?

Facebook's entire purpose is to make that happen. There is an army of programmers ensuring devices and browsers all mine Facebook activity and share the data to put those customized ads in front of Facebook users.

Among the little tricks. You see those little 'like' or 'share' buttons on all those websites? Unless you care, and disable the functionality, each one of those identical-looking things is a time-stamped, individualized little ditzel. What website it was on, who got it put in front of them, and whether or not 'like' was clicked is all recorded.

Facebook is the worst I'm aware of, but is by far not the only one. It's also no coincidence that stuff in your gmail can be reflected in the ads you see while using Google. There are lots of 'cookie networks' that show up in the oddest places, triggered by clear invisible pixel 'beacons', all with the point of tracking activity under the radar - scorecardresearch.com, googlesyndication.com, doubleclick.net, adnxs.com, etc., etc. etc.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Welcome to targeted advertising. The future is here.

Data about you (all of us) has been collected ranging from search history, shopping habits, ip addresses, and much much much more. This us collected with the sole intent of getting you to click on ads.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3848 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:

I guess that's it. First the endless unsubscribing and now this. I guess they'll want us to have them over for supper next.

By unsubscribing you are actually making it worse.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't they at least give you a cigarette when they finish?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24049 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Shouldn't they at least give you a cigarette when they finish?

I'd prefer they at least call the next day. Flowers and chocolates are a nice touch.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I don't understand the disdain for targeted marketing.

I'd much rather get relevant advertising (that supports all of the free content on the net) than to sit through breakfast cereal or pharmaceutical commercials on TV.

It's eerie, besides that I've usually already purchased the item or at a minimum decided which one I was going to get, so it's pointless.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
The only valuable resource, given for free, on the Internet is SIGforum. Everything else has a cost.

Thanks Para!

Posts: 11376 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post