SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can Anyone Enlighten Me On WiFi Calling?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can Anyone Enlighten Me On WiFi Calling? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Here's the situation:

My Dad has an AT&T MicroCell (3G) set up in his living room, above his basement man cave so that he can get reception on his iPhone SE. He complained that he could never make or receive calls down there until I set this up.

Since it's getting a little old, I decided to get him a new MicroCell and I find out that AT&T has discontinued them with the reason being that WiFi calling on modern smartphones has made them obsolete.

I'm about to get him an iPhone 8 this weekend and would like to enable Wi-Fi calling and get rid of the MicroCell then. I'm completely ignorant of how WiFi calling works or how to set it up but am tech-savvy.

Could someone enlighten me on how this all works? Is it just a setting on the phone itself?

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not sure of how it actually works, but it was a very simple setup process on my Samsung GS9+

Rarely have any issue with it, and switch WiFi off when it acts up & make the call over cellular.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

I'm about to get him an iPhone 8 this weekend and would like to enable Wi-Fi calling and get rid of the MicroCell then. I'm completely ignorant of how WiFi calling works or how to set it up but am tech-savvy.

Could someone enlighten me on how this all works? Is it just a setting on the phone itself?
I don't have an iPhone8, I have an iPhone X, but enabling WiFi calling is probably the same on both phones: Settings --> Phone --> WiFi Calling. That's all there is to it! Just turn it on.

I am not positive about this next point, but I think that this is a carrier-specific feature, so if your cell service provider does not offer it, you will not see it in the settings menu.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I have that enabled on my iPhone, I'm with Verizon.

Settings, then Cellular settings, then Enable WiFi Calling.

Basically you're telling the phone to use Wifi when available if the Cellular signal is weak.

If you're in an area where cellular connection is weak or non existent, but wifi is available, your phone will connect with wifi for phone calls, not just data. Next week I'll be in California where the cell signal is terrible but the wifi in the house is very strong.

Works great! I like it.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
You will (probably) have to enter a 911 address when you enable it as well, since dialing 911 on WiFi typically may not give a location otherwise.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
I have terrible Mobile data reception at home. I also do not have a landline phone. I didn't want to wake up in the middle of the night with a heart attack, and no reception bars. So now I use Wi-Fi on my Samsung S7. I also purchased a Netgear Wi-Fi router. My phone Wi-Fi reception at home now is great.

BTW, I second the comment above about possibly needing to give location information to 911. Your phone may not.

Posts: 527 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Basically you're telling the phone to use Wifi when available if the Cellular signal is weak.

That's exactly what it is. If there is a solid WiFi connection (phone to router) and internet is at least 5 mbps, WiFi calling is a great option. No additional cost, and good connectivity and clarity on calls.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stu1000rr
posted Hide Post
I use the wifi calling at my house as cell service inside is sketchy due to the metal roof and living in the middle of the woods. One thing I do because the cell service is borderline is I put my phone in airplane mode then enable wireless. This forces the phone to use wifi only.

This prevents dropped calls or missed calls when the cell service is iffy and it also saves the battery as the phone isnt constantly looking for a better cell signal.

Just remember to take it out of airplane mode when you leave the house.

Posts: 265 | Location: Southwest Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
It's akin to VoIP with your cell phone. The trick is the 911 aspect as mentioned earlier.

It's dependent on your wifi signal, if I'm using wifi calling at the house and go to a particular corner, the calls start dropping out, but if I leave wifi altogether, it switches to the cell network seamlessly.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I use it at a cabin with awful reception, and some of my people use it at sites with the same.

In my experience the hand off from WiFi to cell is usually OK but occasionally clunky or drops. If you're not leaving the WiFi area mid-call not an issue.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12399 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to open a chat with AT&T a few years ago. They asked me for some information from the phone, then had me reboot it.

All done. You may or may not need to do that now.

On a rather obvious note, you'll need to have your phone connected to your WIFI in order to use it.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I apologize if this is obvious, but your dad's WiFi network has to have an internet connection for WiFi calling to work.

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I apologize if this is obvious, but your dad's WiFi network has to have an internet connection for WiFi calling to work.

Yes, he’s got Comcast Internet with an Apple Airport router, I think last time I checked he was getting 50-60 Mbps

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I use WiFi calling through AT&T on my iPhone 6s Plus. I also recommend placing the phone in Airplane Mode when in the house.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I don't have an iPhone8, I have an iPhone X, but enabling WiFi calling is probably the same on both phones: Settings --> Phone --> WiFi Calling. That's all there is to it! Just turn it on.

I am not positive about this next point, but I think that this is a carrier-specific feature, so if your cell service provider does not offer it, you will not see it in the settings menu.

I have an iPhone 8 ( Verizon ) and your instructions are exactly correct. Default option is off, simply slide the bar to on and your done.

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

Yes, he’s got Comcast Internet with an Apple Airport router, I think last time I checked he was getting 50-60 Mbps

Xfinity (Comcast) provided and installed free of extra charge their latest router which replaced my old Comcast/Airport combination. Removing the extra component (the Airport router) has simplified my set up and has so far been rock solid.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
WIFI Calling on my Iphone 7 is sketchy at best. When it works it is fine, but I cannon force the phone to stay on WIFI. It may switch back to the weak cell signal and possible drop the call. Airport mode doesn't seem to help.
My solution is a cellular booster at this point.
Works somewhat better so far.

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I had a microcell due to living in a rural area with limited reception in my home.
The new wifi calling just requires a change in the settings and works about the same. The handoff to cellular seems to be about the same, maybe slightly better.
I have AT&T and when they decided to do this, they didn't give any notice, and still haven't. That is my only real complaint.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post