SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2nd Coyote Visit at the Richwood, Ky Flea Market
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2nd Coyote Visit at the Richwood, Ky Flea Market Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
A week ago, the highway workers were putting down cones at night. I think their bright yellow lights may have been what spooked out a yote. I watched him all along the storage units from my car, he came up through the lot and across the main outdoor Flea Market area. 3 minutes he was back up the hill just 50 feet from my car. And just now, right from the motorcycle dealer lot next door, one came right through the main gate and was within 30 feet of my car. I gave 3 short blasts on my horn which scared him good. He went scooting right back out the gate. IMO, hes looking for the food we put out or the kitten living here. He was a healthy looking coyote.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
IMO, hes looking for the food we put out or the kitten living here.

He may be looking for the kitten.

Posts: 586 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
My area has become less and less rural over the years, not at all unlike many suburban developments no doubt. We do still hear 'yotes cut loose on occasion though far less frequently than even 5 years ago.

That said, I was on my way in to work about 4 weeks ago (my AM alarm goes off at 3:15 so I do wake up and leave before most people around here). My morning commute takes me between a very well established neighborhood and a golf course and on that particular morning, a rather health looking coyote trotted across the road in front of me from the neighborhood and over to a woods line that's part of the golf course on the other side of the street.

Couldn't help but wonder how many people are searching for their outdoor cats.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safespot:
quote:

That was my thought too. My friend put down chicken scraps today for the kitten. He had already eaten pleanty of cat food. Right in front of my car. I gave it a good scare.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
That is the 4th sighting sinse Summer for me. One along I75, one in a field on Dixie Highway and twice now on the Flea Market property. My guess is the cat food and chicken scraps.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Hes a persistant one. I got his pic sitting just outside the gate. He ran right across in front of my car again. I tooted my horn and he has scooted to the upper parking lot area.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
The problem with suburbia is it is often frowned upon when one uses a firearm to let an ‘ote know he is unwelcome.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I could have popped him the first time. He was moving fast this time. Big Grin.

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Kitten > coyote. Time for Mr. Yote to go visit Yote Jesus?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
He covered a good stretch of black top the 2nd time. Fast critter.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
David, it would seem that you're the only thing between that little guy and the coyotes, please take care of him.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I drove up into the upper lot where he scatted to. My old cars exhaust does not sound too friendly. That yote was aware something was here when he came through the 2nd time but he didnt know what. He was nervous and my car horn helped his land speed. My friend Joe put chicken scraps out and I think thats the attraction.

In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure. Feral cats are as big a problem as coyotes are, probably even bigger, in the more urban areas of the state. Now, obviously, if it’s someone’s cat, I get it, but my impression was the OP was not talking about a domesticated cat

Of course, if the property owner prefers one to the other that makes it fairly simple

quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
The problem with suburbia is it is often frowned upon when one uses a firearm to let an ‘ote know he is unwelcome.

Which is why God is giving us the tools to smite the 'yotes and the anti-gun commies.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/-clhEQ1U-gQ

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31383 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
I’m not sure. Feral cats are as big a problem as coyotes are, probably even bigger, in the more urban areas of the state. Now, obviously, if it’s someone’s cat, I get it, but my impression was the OP was not talking about a domesticated cat

Of course, if the property owner prefers one to the other that makes it fairly simple

quote:

I had the impression from his other thread "Siamese Kitten Idea" that he was looking to find him a home?

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I gotcha, I hadn’t seen the other thread

Don’t get me wrong, the cat is a domesticated animal, the coyote clearly is not

The neighborhood I live in borders a civil war battlefield. We had a big problem a few years ago with feral cats, in large part because dumbass owners in this neighborhood were leaving their cats out to just roam and breed

In recent years, the population has gone down significantly. One of the reasons for this told me by a Va wildlife and game official who lives in the neighborhood was a significant decrease in construction in the area, and a resurgence of the coyote population on the battlefield

quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:

quote:

I had the impression from his other thread "Siamese Kitten Idea" that he was looking to find him a home?

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
When I was living in KY near there I commented at a gas station that all of the stations I visit had wild cat populations hanging out all over the property.

Someone told me it was due to the coyote population, the cats were safe around well lit buildings with people in and out.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
A thread about Richwood Mall. Who'd a thunk it.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safespot:
quote:

I agree.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
A thread about Richwood Mall. Who'd a thunk it.

Some refer to it as the Richwood Boutique.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post