SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for electrician/carpenter/generally handy person - outlet box for range
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for electrician/carpenter/generally handy person - outlet box for range Login/Join 
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted
Installing a slide-in oven using a 3-prong range cord. There's an outlet box back there, but there isn't enough extra wire coming up through the floor to get much movement on the box, so the box won't fit completely into any of the recessed ares on the back of the oven. This translates to the oven not sitting flush with the wall.

Here's my question. Is there a safety or code issue with cutting a small hole in the sheetrock so the outlet box can sit partially behind the wall?

The other alternative is getting the range hardwired directly and bypassing the outlet box, but I'm trying to avoid that (because it's not something I'm comfortable attempting).

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's my question. Is there a safety or code issue with cutting a small hole in the Sheetrock so the outlet box can sit partially behind the wall?

2 thoughts come to mind.

First, I believe they have those outlet boxes that are designed to be installed into the Sheetrock. But that might require running the source wire behind the sheetrock.

Second, and easiest, since power outlet boxes are installed by the millions into sheet rock, I would just put a large enough hole in the sheet rock to accommodate the box.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
quote:
First, I believe they have those outlet boxes that are designed to be installed into the Sheetrock. But that might require running the source wire behind the sheetrock.

Yeah, that was my idea. Just do a cutout directly behind the box, and it would sit there, half in, half out. But it should be sufficient to let the range slide in flush. No rewiring of anything required (giving me the best chance of not killing myself.) Of course, I haven't checked to see if there might be a stud sitting right behind the box.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like you tried to add pictures, but I can't see them, but the general answer is"yes" you can put the wiring in the wall cavity.

Of course you want to do it safely, i.e. secure the wire and box, have it protruded correctly etc.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
It looks like you tried to add pictures, but I can't see them, but the general answer is"yes" you can put the wiring in the wall cavity.

Of course you want to do it safely, i.e. secure the wire and box, have it protruded correctly etc.

Trying pics another way.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
You are fine cutting the drywall. The harder part is notching the sub floor and bottom plate with out damaging the wiring to allow the plug to move. If you have some slack in the line you may be able to get away with out notching sub floor and bottom plate.

PS while you are at it take the cover off the outlet and tighten the connections on the outlet. They are often not tightened properly at install and over the years can actually loosen up a tiny amount.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

When I've had to locate a box where there wasn't one, especially for AC house voltage, I buy a double gang metal box. It is wide enough to get a right-angle screwdriver into. The find the stud, cut the hole next to the stud, and screw the box to the stud. That way your box is completely flush (and more solidly mounted). You can find cover plates for double gang boxes that have the outlet on one side and blank on the other.

Personally, I use the "locate a box anywhere" devices only for low voltage (network wiring, e.g.).

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

When I've had to locate a box where there wasn't one, especially for AC house voltage, I buy a double gang metal box. It is wide enough to get a right-angle screwdriver into. The find the stud, cut the hole next to the stud, and screw the box to the stud. That way your box is completely flush (and more solidly mounted). You can find cover plates for double gang boxes that have the outlet on one side and blank on the other.

Personally, I use the "locate a box anywhere" devices only for low voltage (network wiring, e.g.).

Here is a box designed to do exactly what you are describing and meet code.

Arlington F102

PS Aquilon, to meet code and pass home inspection you need to have box secured and anti-tip device installed as well.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
My new stove didn't fit against the wall either. Some will have a recess in the back of the stove for the outlet/plug, but it will not line up with where your outlet is. I had to mount my outlet about six inches higher and 8 inches to the left. Check if the back of your stove has the cavity and align the outlet to it if you can.

Somhow I thought if I bought a $1500 stove it would slide right in, but nooo....

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Check if the back of your stove has the cavity and align the outlet to it if you can.

The range does have cavities on the back. But neither of them line up to accommodate the box where it currently sits. And there's not enough slack in the wire to move the box into the correct spot.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
How about removing the existing 'Outlet Box' and replacing with a Flush Mount Box, mounted in the floor. You will need to cut a hole in the floor/sub-floor to do so, but wont have any issues due to insufficient length of the wire. You should verify that this will meet current NEC and local Electrical Codes.

I have a Dual-Fuel Range and that's the type of electrical connection I have. My home was new construction in 2006 and passed inspection, so it was code compliant in NH at that time.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
or if you wanted to hide it in the cupboard , next to the stove.

they make 5 ft. and even 6 foot range cords,
that you could feed through a neatly made hole in the side of the cupboard .

if that wall is an exterior wall ( behind the stove)

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post