SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best bacon specific pan for the oven.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best bacon specific pan for the oven. Login/Join 
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I used the jelly-roll pan lined with parchment paper and wire cooling rack method just the other morning.

Some fresh cracked black pepper over the bacon right before putting it in the oven.

Used the bacon on some quesadillas and used the resultant bacon grease to fry up some over medium eggs.

Was num num good!

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Sheet Pan
Low Wire Rack (better than foil or paper because they don't sit in the grease).
^^^This, but with one exception. I had a chef friend tell me to rip off the proper amount of tin foil to cover my sheet pan, wad it up gently, then pull it back out without pulling it far enough to make it flat again. The wadded (or wrinkled) up ridges keep the bacon suspended out of the oil while still allowing for simple clean up. Works great!

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Is preheat necessary?

What's the downside of putting the bacon on the baking sheet (with or without a rack) and then turning the oven on?

No. Cold oven is the way to go IMHO. Gets me the crispiest bacon without overcooking by rendering the far better.

On a sheet pan with a cooling rack into a cold oven. Set it to 425, flip halfway through and the bacon is perfect every time.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I don't even know what y'all are talking about.

Bacon?
Oven?

Must read more of these aliens.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I make candied bacon in there most often with some brown sugar and spices, to my mood...

Sometimes it's red pepper flakes, sometimes cracked black pepper, maybe finely ground jalapeno, or even Montreal Steak Seasoning mix - it's fun on occasion. Whatever.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Question...doesn't cooking in the oven get the interior of the oven greasy? I honestly don't know.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Theres a reason you pre-heat the oven, I went from pan, to cast iron, then oven and now the smoker.

I can put two pounds of bacon on the smoker at 250, all the grease drips onto the pan and the bacon doesn't stick to the grate.

You can cook it longer for more well done crispyness.

either way you cook it, it's bacon so its good..

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I don't have a baking sheet or a cooling rack, so I just fry mine in a cast iron skillet. I do broil my hot dogs in the oven, though.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Theres a reason you pre-heat the oven, I went from pan, to cast iron, then oven and now the smoker.

I might try the smoker this weekend.

Thus far, I used the broiler pan. Bacon decent, big mess.

Cast iron skillet with ridges, Bacon great, pain to clean.

Tomorrow I am going to try the crumpled up foil on a baking sheet method.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by was0311:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

I might try the smoker this weekend.

Thus far, I used the broiler pan. Bacon decent, big mess.

Cast iron skillet with ridges, Bacon great, pain to clean.

Tomorrow I am going to try the crumpled up foil on a baking sheet method.

Ah yes, the Great Bacon Perfection Pursuit!

May as well try the microwave method for comparison.

I mean, it's just another reason to cook some bacon, amiright???

Posts: 1454 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post