SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best bacon specific pan for the oven.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best bacon specific pan for the oven. Login/Join 
Picture of was0311
posted
I fought this for a long time, I loved fried bacon. SO bakes it in the oven and I am full convert.

What is your best pan, pot, rack for doing so.

Go.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Baking sheet lined with parchment paper

My most used baking sheets are Quarter (13" x 9") and Eighth (9" x 7"), very handy....my first one, is with my tools, it has Kydex marks Roll Eyes

If you like it crispy, place bacon on a cooling rack during cooking.

Save grease for other uses.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Yes, large baking sheet covered in foil.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
I just use a baking sheet from walmart covered in tin foil. No cleaning.

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
I am also a big fan of bacon in the oven. It's my favorite way to cook it now.

we use a large baking sheet covered with either foil or parchment paper.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I use a cooling rack on a baking pan. Works very well.

Something like this.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:

Something like this.

That's exactly what I do if I'm making more than fits in a skillet and don't want to deal with a griddle.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
quote:

Something like this.

I got those cooling racks, thought about doing that. Thanks.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I use pyrex pans. I am not sure what is the best, but it works for me.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I quit doing the cooling rack as it was a PITA to clean. I preheat my baking sheet during the oven preheat, and get the bacon ready on a sheet of heavy duty foil. Once preheated, I just slip the foil w/ bacon on to the backing sheet. Since the baking sheet is 400F like the oven's air, I get evenly crisp bacon on both sides without flipping and my only clean up is throwing the foil in the trash.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
For me, the oven cooks bacon too evenly. I like it in a frying pan, stove top. Cooked correctly I get crispy and not so crispy bacon in the same slice

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Baking sheet lined with parchment paper

+1. I use paper rather than foil. I find that oil leaks through the foil while paper fully prevents - easy cleanup.

I use 425F. I like crispy so I lay the bacon flat on the sheet so it cooks in its own grease.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
For me, the oven cooks bacon too evenly. I like it in a frying pan, stove top. Cooked correctly I get crispy and not so crispy bacon in the same slice

That was my position. But the thick slice in the oven. Crispy and chewy was oh so good.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Something like this.

This x 1000. You will get flat bacon and it will all be cooked the same since it’s not actually sitting on a hot pan that makes the bacon curl.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Comet24 got it right

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:

Something like this.

This x 1000. You will get flat bacon and it will all be cooked the same since it’s not actually sitting on a hot pan that makes the bacon curl.
It doesn't curl cooking it in the oven without the cooling rack. The hot baking sheet and equally hot air is what stops the curling.

The key is the preheat of the baking sheet. My baking sheet goes in when I start heating up my oven.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Is preheat necessary?

What's the downside of putting the bacon on the baking sheet (with or without a rack) and then turning the oven on?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Is preheat necessary?

What's the downside of putting the bacon on the baking sheet (with or without a rack) and then turning the oven on?

You'll render a bit more of the fat, probably not noticeable. As the oven warms, the slowly rising heat will render the fat, versus cooking it with the meat.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Sheet Pan
Low Wire Rack (better than foil or paper because they don't sit in the grease).
Paper or foil, only to catch grease/make pan cleaning easier.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:

Something like this.

It doesn't curl cooking it in the oven without the cooling rack. The hot baking sheet and equally hot air is what stops the curling.

The key is the preheat of the baking sheet. My baking sheet goes in when I start heating up my oven.

That method is better than a pan but the bacon is still cooking in its own grease and in my experience doesn’t cook perfectly flat which is what makes for uneven cooking even if it’s not nearly as bad as a pan.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post