SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kayak -- I'm sinking, I'm sinking!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kayak -- I'm sinking, I'm sinking!! Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Well, slowly.

Seems like the used kayak I bought (Tarpon 140) has a leak in it. I can paddle for a couple of hours no problem but water definitely gets inside.

When I put the kayak onto the truck after being on the lake for an hour, there seemed to be some water draining from the left foot scupper hole. No evidence of water anywhere else on the car.

1) How do I fix this? Can I just use some PVC glue or epoxy and put a layer over the external wall of the scupper hole (in particular, the joint)? Or do I need to take the kayak somewhere to be fixed?

2) Do I really need the scupper holes? If I'm not really taking on water from the sides, can I just plug all the scupper holes? Just unplug them when I take the kayak onto the ocean (waves) but otherwise don't really need them on calm lakes and rivers?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
What is it made of? I'm sure it can be patched. Just need to find where the water is coming in.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Get some polyethylene plastic and a propane torch and weld the damaged area. You can also find polyethylene weld kits that have everything you need.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Is the leak inside the scupper hole? If so, that's going to be a tough spot to patch. You can probably find the hole by using soapy water. Wet the area you think the leak is with soapy water. Put some pressure on the kayak so that air will be forced out of the leak. You should see bubbles blowing where the leak is.

The scuppers are there to let water drain out of the cockpit. If you plug them, you'll be sitting in a pool of water.

PVC glue or epoxy won't work on polyethylene. Like others have mention, melting polyethylene into the hole is the way to go. I believe milk jugs are high density polyethylene (HDPE) and maybe you could use a soldering iron for heat.

Posts: 10942 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Gino-De...=plastic+welding+kit

https://www.amazon.com/POLYETH...JHJTE1282XZDBMP65QTW

Milk jugs are okay to use as material?
I suspect the leak is inside the scupper hole and probably at what seems like a seam where the top and bottom of the kayak are merged together? I'll try to find the hole with soap.

I'm only getting water in the cockpit through the scupper hole (from under the boat). I'm not getting any water in the boat from over the sides. Is this okay to plug the scuppers? If I'm in a situation (waves) where water is coming over the sides, then unplug the scuppers?

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
I was going to link the "impressive" video of the guy sawing the jon boat in half then reattaching it with Flex Seal tape, but I just got home from a business trip of 6 days in Chicago, and I'm really tired (and yeah, I drove both ways, because I'm stubborn)...

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
FLEX SEAL of course

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is likely made of linear HDPE. If so, and you can locate the crack, it should be easy enough to weld. I find a heat gun to be the easiest way to heat both the boat and the hdpe you are welding with. There are lots of videos on YouTube on how to weld HDPE.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
See here:

https://www.wildernesssystems....plastic-repair-guide

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do not use milk jugs to repair it.

West marine sells the proper repair stuff, it usually comes in a stick.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
FLEX SEAL of course

I was surprised this wasn't the first and only required reply. Big Grin

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12437 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Your kayak is one piece, not a top and bottom joined together. What looks like a seem is a result of the molding process. Here is a video that shows the process: LINK

Here is a link for DIY kayak repairs: LINK

Posts: 10942 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Do not use milk jugs to repair it.

West marine sells the proper repair stuff, it usually comes in a stick.

How about a link to that proper stick shape material West Marine sells?

Picture of Gascan
posted Hide Post
Here is a Link for Wilderness System kayak repair rods, in any color you need no less. I’ve bought things from Austinkayak.com before, great store.

Posts: 135 | Location: Sunny St. Pete | Registered: March 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Gino-De...=plastic+welding+kit

https://www.amazon.com/POLYETH...JHJTE1282XZDBMP65QTW

Milk jugs are okay to use as material?
I suspect the leak is inside the scupper hole and probably at what seems like a seam where the top and bottom of the kayak are merged together? I'll try to find the hole with soap.

I'm only getting water in the cockpit through the scupper hole (from under the boat). I'm not getting any water in the boat from over the sides. Is this okay to plug the scuppers? If I'm in a situation (waves) where water is coming over the sides, then unplug the scuppers?

I've never used the type of iron in the first link but I guess it would work fine. I would use a micro propane torch if you have one but anything that will get the plastic up to melting will work. A hot enough heat gun will work. You are not melting the plastic to a liquid state, just softening it up enough to be able to flow in new material and shape it.

As for the scuppers, many people plug them. WS makes plugs for them Link to plugs but most people just use small foam balls or a piece of pool noodle. The original Tarpons were known for being a wet ride from water coming up the 2 scuppers under the seat so people would plug those 2 up but newer Tarpons are usually a dry ride. I'm 250 lbs and my Tarpon 140 is a dry ride with no plugs.

ETA: the link that BurtonRW posted is good info.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You can try filling it with water and look for water. Leak in reverse. Wink

Other than hull punctures, scupper holes are usually where the crack, for a few reasons.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
e-6000 of course
https://www.walmart.com/ip/E60...524121&wl13=&veh=sem

( for the tenth time)

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Austin Kayak has a repair kit welding rod in the colors for wilderness system kayaks

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Appreciate the info. I think I can fix it with the above info (little concerned that I don't really have the skills and I'll make the condition worse) but I'm still trying to find the leak. Soapy water didn't yield anything yet. I'll keep trying.

If I still can't find anything, I'll try to partition the inside into 3 sections and try to narrow down while in the water. Also, maybe plug the scuppers from below and fill the cup.

I'm off now to see about Rhino Pioneer roof racks.