SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mushroom nutrition article (added a tip)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mushroom nutrition article (added a tip) Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
In any case, they're tasty.

"Eating just five button mushrooms may halt dementia in its tracks, slash the risk of heart disease and even prevent cancer, scientists claim.

Researchers have found the fungi are abundant in two antioxidants that fight aging and bolster health.

Ergothioneine and glutathione combat 'free radicals' - damaging molecules highly linked to dementia, multiple forms of cancer and even heart disease…"

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/art...n-mushrooms-day.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
In any case, they're tasty.

"Eating just five button mushrooms may halt dementia in its tracks, slash the risk of heart disease and even prevent cancer, scientists claim.

Researchers have found the fungi are abundant in two antioxidants that fight aging and bolster health.

Ergothioneine and glutathione combat 'free radicals' - damaging molecules highly linked to dementia, multiple forms of cancer and even heart disease…"

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/art...n-mushrooms-day.html
The article also suggests red wine and dark chocolate.

OK, so a pizza with double mushrooms, a glass or to of chianti, and some dark chocolate for dessert.

I'll get right on it!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30547 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
the double swiss mushroom burger I ate yesterday was good for me after all!

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The Lotte Plaza always has fresh mushrooms. They started carrying Shiitake mushrooms several years ago. They run from $3 to $5 a pound.
I usually buy them every other week. I just had some tonight.

You should always cook mushrooms and not eat them raw according to Dr. Weil.

COOKED ASIAN MUSHROOMS How much: Unlimited amounts Healthy choices: Shiitake, enokitake, maitake, oyster mushrooms (and wild mushrooms if available) Why: These mushrooms contain compounds that enhance immune function. Never eat mushrooms raw, and minimize consumption of common commercial button mushrooms (including cremini and Portobello).

https://www.drweil.com/diet-nu...matory-food-pyramid/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
the double swiss mushroom burger I ate yesterday was good for me after all!

Yup, your mind will be intact enough for you to realize you’re having a heart attack!

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know, it's Joe Rogan, but this guy he's interviewing has some interesting things to say about shrooms.

https://youtu.be/mPqWstVnRjQ

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

OK, so a pizza with double mushrooms, a glass or two of chianti, and some dark chocolate for dessert.

Scavenging free radicals can be enjoyable!

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

I've read that centenarians have about one third the medical issues in the final year of their life compared to the average person.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:I've read that centenarians have about one third the medical issues in the final year of their life compared to the average person.

Seems difficult to quantify. I'd guess it has more to do with dying quickly rather than from a lingering illness.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Tip: A French press, normally used to make coffee, is a handy utensil to rehydrate dried mushrooms. It keeps them submerged using a minimal amount of water. Then the water can be poured off without losing any 'shooms – for use or disposal.

Serious about crackers

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’m always quietly amused when I hear some young people say they don’t care what their quality of life will be when they’re old (and however they envision “old”). I have never once met an old person who said, “I don’t give a dam’ about being broken down and decrepit now; I had a great time and didn’t worry about any of that ‘health’ crap when I was young.”

For example, I sometimes wistfully regret not having become airborne qualified in the Army; those wings really say something, even if it was limited to the minimum jumps required to earn them. On the other hand, I knew lots of guys in their 30s who had severe back or joint problems as a result of parachute jumps and were sweating making their 20 years so they’d have a pension at age 40. None of them talked about how cool it was to have a jump badge, and I wonder what their problems are like 20-30 years after they retired.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Prior injuries are a huge factor in mobility problems of seniors. Whether sports, MVA, military service, etc., it all adds up.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You have to look out for the cellphone drivers today. I have already used up one notch.

The best thing to do is take a walk each day, and eat less. You don't want to spend your life in an Assisted Living Facility but live at home and have someone come in once a week if you need chores to be done and are not capable or out fishing.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Some 'shrooms contain a form of beta glucan - the same stuff that's made oats popular recently. Beta glucan in oats is believed to help with high cholesterol. Beta glucan in some'shrooms may be helpful in preventing/fighting cancer.

Also studies on using psilocybin from 'shrooms, as well as LSD, to treat depression, have produced some very encouraging results at a possible permanent cure form some people.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I don't care, you can have my share. Not a mushroom fan at all.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post