SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    History of 16 Gauge Shotgun Shells
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

History of 16 Gauge Shotgun Shells Login/Join 
posted
Known among many shooters as the "Sweet Sixteen," the 16 gauge shotgun cartridge has a tribe of dedicated followers who appreciate its versatility. The recoil is manageable and the payload is reasonable – two features that contribute to the appeal of the 16 gauge in comparison to 12 gauge and 20 gauge shotguns. And while people say the gauge is dying, they’ve been saying that for the last 50 years – and it ain’t dead yet.

16 Gauge: “The Gentleman’s Gauge”

Indeed, this has been called “the most logical of all gauges” by Gun Digest. The bore is almost exactly two-thirds of an inch. The lead balls inside weigh precisely an ounce. And the shot column’s dimensions border on the perfect pattern. There was a time when the gauge was advertised as “Carries like a 20, shoots like a 12.” Adherents of this gauge would agree that it provides the best of both worlds.

Perhaps this is why the gauge was known as “the gentleman’s gauge” throughout the early years of the 20th century. Compare with the more down-market 12 gauge, which was the province of farmers and deer hunters. On the other hand, the 16 gauge shotgun shell was considered a sleek round best suited for shooting quail and grouse.

There’s more than just image in play here when it comes to the 16 as the gentleman’s gauge. There is also a rich history and lineage. 16 bore was one of the preferred rounds from the black powder and solid ball era – the favorite round of the fowler as well as the big game hunter of the time. You can still purchase flintlock 16 gauge shotguns on the antique market, provided that you’re made of money.

The Decline of the 16 Ga Shotgun Shell

The move away from the 16 gauge to the 12 and the 20 is a purely American phenomenon. In Europe, the round remains as popular as it ever was. But in Britain, the 16 never really found much sway and the 12 gauge is the preferred round. However, the 16 still carries as much currency over there as it ever has, perhaps more so. Throughout the 2010s, the 16 has become something of a fad in the British Isles. The love that the 16 still gets overseas is a small part of what keeps it alive stateside. That and a rabid fanbase who simply can’t walk away.

So why did the gauge fall off in the United States? Many lay the blame at the foot of the popularity of skeet shooting. When skeet shooting rules were formalized in 1926, four gauges were allowed: 12, 20, 28 and .410. No 16. Meanwhile, game bird numbers declined and far stricter bag numbers were enforced. Quail hunting was falling out of fashion. This meant that a far greater proportion of rounds were being used in skeet and trap (a 12-gauge-only sport) and the market responded accordingly.

This also pushed the market in another way: The top ammunition manufacturers were in constant, fierce competition to produce the best loads for winning at both skeet and trap. All the money for development was pouring into the popular competition rounds. Not only was the 16 not selling like it used to, there was also new reason to push the technology forward – it wasn’t a competition round, so the technology could safely languish as it became a niche round used by an ever-decreasing number of die-hard adherents. This lack of technological development also began to push the 16 out of the realm of reloading.

Changes were made to the 16, however, mostly for the worse. For whatever reason, the industry decided that the 16 needed to be a 12 in disguise. This meant too much kick, bad patterns and high price points.

The Resurrection of the 16 Gauge

It’s not just in Britain where the 16 is enjoying a bit of a Renaissance, however. Fox, Ithaca, L.C. Smith, and Parker all sell their double 16s handsomely on the used market. The bargains to be had with the secondhand market can be found with the Ithaca Model 37, the Remington Model 31, and the Winchester Model 12. Newer models are to be approached with caution. Often times they’re little more than a 16 barrel on a 12 stock, which misses the entire point of the 16. One attempt to reintroduce the weapon had a synthetic stock – not exactly gentlemanly.

Most 16 gauge shotguns weigh around seven pounds, but the lightest 12 gauge shotguns weigh 7.5 pounds and get heavier from there. The inertia of the gun affects the recoil felt by the shooter, so a lighter gun with the same charge will kick harder than a heavier gun. But even though the recoil of the 16 gauge would tend to be higher than a 12 gauge, the feel is about the same. This is because it is somewhat moderated by reduced loads for most bird-hunting shells. The real benefit of the lighter gun, however, becomes apparent after long hikes across fields and over fences when hunting upland birds.

Hunting With a 16 Gauge Shotgun

Birds aren’t the only thing you can hunt with a 16 gauge shotgun. Deer can also be hunted – and without the recoil of a 12 gauge. As far as home defense goes, the 16 isn’t a slouch either. It might not be an ideal shell, but it can certainly get the job done. If you choose a 16 as a home-defense weapon, you’re going to want number 1 buckshot or one ounce slugs to protect yourself.

While the shells have a reputation for being impossible to find, this is simply not true. You can generally find 16 gauge shells online without a lot of trouble. Anyone living near a population center or a large, big box sporting goods store likewise will probably not have trouble finding 16 gauge. The reloading components are easier than ever to find.

16 ga shotgun shells enjoy another important advantage when comparing its performance to the 12 gauge. While the numbers are about the same, most loads for 16 gauge max out with 1.25 ounces of shot, and they generate a muzzle velocity slower than equivalent 12 gauge loads only by about 200 feet per second. Muzzle velocity for the 20 gauge is another 100 feet per second slower, and payload is reduced 20 percent – making it easy to understand what advantages the 16 gauge offers.

Ammunition for the 16 gauge is not always easy to find on the shelves of your average big box store, but it is available at most sporting goods stores, and of course through online retailers. Many different manufacturers in America and Europe produce a variety of different shells for the 16 gauge. The size of shot ranges from #2 to #8; and slugs can also be found.

Many hunters overlook the 16 gauge because it's not as abundant as the 12 or 20 gauge, but consider taking a second look. The cartridge is powerful and can do the work of a large gauge – with the benefit of a lighter gun. That fact alone ought to make a 16 gauge shotgun worth considering for your next purchase.

History of 16 Gauge Shotgun Shells originally appeared in The Resistance Library at Ammo.com.

We believe arming our fellow Americans – both physically and philosophically – helps them fulfill our Founding Fathers' intent with the Second Amendment: To serve as a check on state power.

Posts: 280 | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've been a shotgunner almost all my life and have only known one or two guys who shot a 16 gauge.

Not very popular these days.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
From a popularity standpoint, I'm guessing it doesn't help that regulation skeet is shot with 12g 20g 28g and .410.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
My Dad had a couple of 16ga 870 Wingmasters that we used to hunt pheasants with when I was a teenager. I still have one of them in my safe but it hasn't been used in decades. I was going through an old box of old stuff a few weeks ago and found an old small coffee can full of old 16ga shells.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been a shotgunner almost all my life and have only known one or two guys who shot a 16 gauge.

I've got a Browning "Sweet Sixteen". I love it.
But... I don't take it out very often.
It's versatile, but the shells are expensive and hard to find. I'm set up to re-load 12 gauge for trap and skeet.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24060 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My first shotgun was a Mossberg 16 gauge with a variable chock. I was about 15 when I bought it and used it for duck hunting in Wisconsin. I have no idea where it ended up. I may have traded it for a Remington 870 12 gauge.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have a Ranger 16 double gun that was my great uncle's farm gun.

I love the way it handles, and have taken dove with it. Carries easily, and delivers on the bird.

It was never an expensive gun, and was bought through Sears or Montgomery Ward, but it has that 1930's quality that even cheaper guns back then had.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I currently have three 16 gauges and prefer it over any other. I'm looking to add a Model 21 in 16 soon. I buy shells pretty much anytime I see them and currently have between 3 and 4 flats. Some of them are old Western shells.

The problem with the 16 is they quit making them on their own frames so they got bloated and heavy.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I have my grandfathers St.Etienne made SxS double trigger straight comb stock. It's really a nice handling shotgun and took it rabbit hunting a few times. Lotsa fun. Gun has to be 60ish years old.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I have a Merkel 16 ga. Never been fired. It is a beautiful piece of work. It is an Exposition Grade model. My fathers favorite gage. I bought thinking of him.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
My first shotgun was a Mossberg 16 gauge with a variable chock.

I think we had the same shotgun...bolt action? two shell magazine? Heavy as an anvil?

BTW, I still have it.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I have a Fox Model B side by side in 16. Have a couple boxes ammo too. Have not shot it in many years. Buttstock needs a refinish and new pad due to water stains. The metal is in great shape.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a few customers who shoot 16GA, but even before this current ammo supply mess we seldom if ever brought much in for sale. Hell, prior to last year we'd bring more 10GA ammo in than we did 16GA. Nowadays we'd be lucky just to have any 12GA loads to sell. Frown

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the other nails in the 16 GA coffin was mandating of non toxic shot for waterfowl hunting, where big payloads are the order of the day.
When I was growing up, my dad had a 16 gauge Ithaca 37. He used it for birds rabbits and squirrel and with slugs deer. When I got old enough to hunt my beloved brother got me a very similar Ithaca 37 in 16 for ammo commonality with dad. One of only 2 shotguns I own and will never sell. Was technically my first gun at age 14.

Posts: 3286 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
True. 16 ga 1oz lead loads are about perfect for wood ducks and decoying ducks under 30 yards but not so if you're shooting steel. Plus you can't even shoot steel in a lot of the old 16's.

I bought a bunch of bismuth so I can duck hunt with my Belgian Auto 5s. Watch those old Duck Commander videos and you'll see Phil Robertson shooting a Sweet Sixteen in the timber most of the time.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine had a bolt action 16g; I liked it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
One of the other nails in the 16 GA coffin was mandating of non toxic shot for waterfowl hunting, where big payloads are the order of the day.
When I was growing up, my dad had a 16 gauge Ithaca 37. He used it for birds rabbits and squirrel and with slugs deer. When I got old enough to hunt my beloved brother got me a very similar Ithaca 37 in 16 for ammo commonality with dad. One of only 2 shotguns I own and will never sell. Was technically my first gun at age 14.

Good point, I hadn't considered that. Denser-than-lead non-toxic shot could solve this, but at this point I don't expect the ammo market is going to attept to revive the 16ga.

We believe arming our fellow Americans – both physically and philosophically – helps them fulfill our Founding Fathers' intent with the Second Amendment: To serve as a check on state power.

Posts: 280 | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a 16 fan. I load 7/8 ounce for quail and shoot mostly factory 1 ounce for dove.

Wonderful gauge.... Very versatile !!

Posts: 787 | Registered: April 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
The 16 is not quite dead, two years ago, my dad bought a Franchi Instinct (I believe that’s the right model) over-under in 16. Franchi actually built a 16ga frame, rather than using the 12 frame. Results in a light gun, beautiful to handle. It has been excellent in the pheasant fields of SD for him.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Between the son & I we have 4, 16 ga guns. My favorite is my minty ‘sweet-sixteen’ from the early 50’s. They don’t get used a whole lot, mostly grouse hunting.

I was able to hold off with any 28 ga guns, kinda heavy in the 20 ga. For the little I’ve shot 410 shells, I’ve just used ‘chamber-mates’ in my 20 ga Citori. A guy was hard up for 410 ammo recently, so I gave him the last I had.

When it comes to shotgun shell ammo prices, the 12 & 20 is always the cheapest.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post