SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My dad is 65 this year, retiring next march - gift ideas?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My dad is 65 this year, retiring next march - gift ideas? Login/Join 
sick puppy
posted
I cant afford too much, and havent really put too much thought into this so i dont even really have a budget in mind. But my dad turns 65 this year. This man is my hero. He was my Scoutmaster and saw me to Eagle, taught me how to fish, and shoot, and camp, and golf, to drive, to work hard, to be honest, and love life. He is calm, and positive. Lives a clean life - doesnt drink or smoke. Always willing to help anyone in need.

My mom died 5 years ago yesterday, so he's been working a little less and playing more - now an avid fisherman, bowhunter, likes to camp, watches golf (cant play anymore since a back surgery 10 years ago).

Only problem is that he doesnt tell people what he wants - he just buys it.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
What's the budget? I know my dad would like something cheaper that's sentimental and well thought out than something for $10,000 that has no meaning behind it

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Does he have a collection of vinyl albums--and a decent turn table to play them on?

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Get him a boy scouts of america commemorative 10/22

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he is like most baby boomers he probably has a collection of photographs in old albums or just disorganized in a box. You could scan these and present them to him in a nice digital format. Photographs of the two of you together over the years is especially welcome.

Think of the times you spent together that were most memorable to you and write them down as well.

I can guarantee these will be appreciated.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
What's the budget? I know my dad would like something cheaper that's sentimental and well thought out than something for $10,000 that has no meaning behind it

Same. I can probably pull up to $200ish

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
If he is like most baby boomers he probably has a collection of photographs in old albums or just disorganized in a box. You could scan these and present them to him in a nice digital format. Photographs of the two of you together over the years is especially welcome.

Think of the times you spent together that were most memorable to you and write them down as well.

I can guarantee these will be appreciated.

My sister did that a few years back. Shes a professional photographer and digitialized our family photos.

sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
Get him a boy scouts of america commemorative 10/22

Ooo, that actually looks very nice. I wonder if he has a 10/22. Ill have to ask

sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Does he have a collection of vinyl albums--and a decent turn table to play them on?

Hes actually never really cared for music other than playing the local country station in the car

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
You know... I worked hard all my life, about 12 years of that at two jobs and
just recently retired myself, Wife, 3 kids, 8 Grandkids, 2 Great Grandkids, 2 Son in laws... And I got nothing from any of them!

On a budget of $200 it would be pretty hard to beat you taking him out to his favorite restaurant, just you and him, and telling him what you just told us about what he means to you.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
How about a nice Benchmade or Zero Tolerance knife?

Posts: 6398 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
No help on the gift.

But dam cparktd, either you are a terrible, mean sob. Or your family needs a good kick in rear end. Everyone of them. That is disturbing to say the least. And please tell them to read this thread. That piss' me off the read that! It really does. Wth?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
You know... I worked hard all my life, about 12 years of that at two jobs and
just recently retired myself, Wife, 3 kids, 8 Grandkids, 2 Great Grandkids, 2 Son in laws... And I got nothing from any of them!

On a budget of $200 it would be pretty hard to beat you taking him out to his favorite restaurant, just you and him, and telling him what you just told us about what he means to you.

Been there, done that.

You're right, though. Probably the best dinner he's ever going to have. Only problem that might arise is that saw dust in his eyes.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
A nice portrait of you, your siblings, and all his grandkids. A generations photo.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
How about taking him on a fishing trip?
Material things are crap, time with family and friends is where it's at.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take him fishing. Go to his favorite spot and just talk and drown worms.

Take him to supper, maybe the favorite place he and your mom went.

Tell him "Thank you

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Does he live in UT like you do?

If so, how about a nice automatic (swichblade) knife?

There are plenty to fit your budget.

If he's a fisherman and hunter, he could probably use one. They are very handy.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Bowhunter, you can buy him a new treestand (can always use another), 3-d archery target, camo, game camera, all within your budget. I guess depends on what he has.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
I like the fish all day, then an amazing dinner somewhere idea and either tell him what you said in this thread, or write him a card or something with it in it. I'm not sure if you guys camp, but that could be fun too. A weekend camping at a lake, fishing, bonding etc

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I read your post and the immediate thought was time. Give him your time.

Plan a camping trip for you guys and go. It's the perfect gift.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post