SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hyundai belt slipping and losing power steering
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hyundai belt slipping and losing power steering Login/Join 
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted
My wife's Hyundai Veracruz, sometimes when she drives through a puddle, will lose power steering and charging. Usually she will hear squealing when this happens.

I am relatively certain it's the belt slipping, and so were Manny, Moe, and Jack. But they told me that there's nothing to be done. The belt is fine and it has a spring-loaded tensioner so there's nothing to adjust. I can't believe that. For one, she's had this car for eight years, and it hasn't always done this. And for two, that would seem to be an incredibly defective design.

So, any know how to fix this? Replace the belt even though they said it's fine? Adjust the tension even though they said it can't be adjusted? Is the problem something else entirely?

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tensioner assembly needs replaced? Looks at first glance like it may use a gas strut which could have become weak over time and not tensioning enough now.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I'd order a new tensioner and a new belt, and install them myself.

Keep the old belt - if it's indeed okay - and you'll know you have a good spare in the trunk.

Posts: 10751 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I've heard of an old belt not holding grip even with the correct tension. The current one is at least 8 years old, so I think I'd try throwing a brand new belt on even if the mechs think it's OK.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
belt first, easiest fix first. If that doesn't work, then do the tensioner.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might check if there is any cover or guard missing or damaged that's allowing water to get to the belt. Sometimes those things have to be removed to work from below, and it speeds things up to not replace them. Other times, bad things can happen to the underside of a car.

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Agree with the belt change. The get hard and more brittle over time and not as rubbery and sticky IMO. If you are desperate you can use spray on belt dressing. It will indeed quiet the belt for a while but it will also make a mess and attract all types of dirt. A light spray might stop it if a new belt does it as well. Also if the tensioner is not holding as hard as it should it can squeal. But then again you said it happened since new so who knows.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
What Scurvy said!

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Are any splash pans or shields missing? There is one inside the wheel well. Sometimes, if any service is performed that requires this be removed, a forgetful or lazy mechanic may not put it back on. Are any cowl (the area immediately in front of the windshield, containing the windshield wipers) drains out of place?

quote:
For one, she's had this car for eight years, and it hasn't always done this. And for two, that would seem to be an incredibly defective design.

If it were defective, it would have been doing it from day one.

My bet is on the belt and tensioner, especially since you indicate they are original. The tensioner, IIRC, is a self-contained hydraulic piston. These can be bad without any external sign.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
I'd order a new tensioner and a new belt, and install them myself.

Keep the old belt - if it's indeed okay - and you'll know you have a good spare in the trunk.

This is what I had to do on my auto,problem went away

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I would try spraying some belt dressing on the belt. It keeps the belt flexible, and provides improved performance of the belt. I do that on my truck from time to time, and the belts last a LONG time.

Recently had some AC work done on the truck and as part of that they replaced both belts.

I will continue to spray belt dressing on the belts from time to time, just to make them last longer.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
I would try spraying some belt dressing on the belt. It keeps the belt flexible, and provides improved performance of the belt. I do that on my truck from time to time, and the belts last a LONG time.

I've used belt dressing all of my driving life. Not quite so much on newer vehicles with a serpentine belt and tensioner. It is good stuff, but the overspray can get messy.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like the belt is the place to start. I'll have to take a look at the setup tonight to see how difficult that looks. We did check all of the splash guards and they are in place.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Please save dressing for salads and Thanksgiving turkeys. Don't use it on serpentine belts. It doesn't work, plus the additional problem of sticky shit all over the pulleys. I have been working with them since the first one was ever made. Plain water, however, can be useful as a diagnostic aid. If a squeal goes away when you dribble it on the belt, it's something to do with the belt (misalignment, low tension, etc.) If it doesn't it's a rotating component bearing.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Please save dressing for salads and Thanksgiving turkeys. Don't use it on serpentine belts. It doesn't work, plus the additional problem of sticky shit all over the pulleys. I have been working with them since the first one was ever made. Plain water, however, can be useful as a diagnostic aid. If a squeal goes away when you dribble it on the belt, it's something to do with the belt (misalignment, low tension, etc.) If it doesn't it's a rotating component bearing.

+ 1000

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It could be a belt or tensioner. It could also be a bearing that is starting to lock up in an accessory such as the alternator when it gets hot causing the belt to slip. I’d pull off the belt, spin the accessories you can and see if you can feel any weird play in any of them. Hopefully it’s just the belt or tensioner but I’ve also seen accessories cause this when they’re on their way out.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post