SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    According to ABC: Trump "tells" NRA that bump stock ban is coming... soon...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

According to ABC: Trump "tells" NRA that bump stock ban is coming... soon... Login/Join 
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted
So, before I post the article, I have a question. Do you think they will "grandfather" those devices already sold or require them to be turned in or destroyed? Or maybe registered?

Per the article below, it says the legislation would "ban the sale" but what about those devices already sold?

Source (root source appears to be CNN): A ban on bump stocks is coming, President Trump says

By: CNN
Posted: 1:05 PM, Oct 1, 2018

President Donald Trump suggested Monday, one year after the Las Vegas massacre, that bump-fire stocks would be banned "over the next couple of weeks."

Trump was asked at a Rose Garden news conference about the progress of regulations to eliminate the devices, which allow semi-automatic weapons to fire at a more rapid rate.

"In order to eliminate -- terminate -- bump stocks, we have to go through procedure. We are now at the final stages of that procedure," he said.

"We are knocking out bump stocks. I have told the (National Rifle Association) -- bump stocks are gone. But to do that, you have to go to public hearings, which we have had. You have to go through all sorts of regulatory control systems."

Trump added that the process should be wrapped up in "two or three weeks."

Last week, just before the one-year anniversary of the Las Vegas shooting, which claimed 58 lives, the federal government took the next step in its efforts to ban bump stocks.

On September 27, the Justice Department formally submitted its proposed final rule, "Bump-Stock-Type Devices" to the Office of Management and Budget at the White House, according to a DOJ official.

This submission initiated OMB's 90-day review period of the rule, so the process is still underway.

In March, Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced that the Justice Department would clarify rules that define bump stocks within the definition of "machine gun" under federal law, a move that would ban the sale of such accessories.

The public comment period for the change in the bump stock rule ended on June 27.

Trump also said Monday that his administration is working with Congress "on both sides" on "a lot of different things" regarding gun legislation.

It's unclear what Trump was referring to. Both Democratic and Republican lawmakers agreed after the Las Vegas shooting that the response should be to ban the sale of bump stocks, but so far, they have made no progress on concrete legislation to outlaw them. There had been some disagreement over whether Congress had the authority to ban the devices or whether it was up to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein, who has been behind a lot of gun control proposals in the Senate, introduced a bill to ban bump stocks but eventually Trump moved for the Justice Department to ban the device.

In general, Congress has been reluctant to take up additional measures to curb gun violence. In March, Congress included a provision that incentivizes state and federal authorities to report more data to the country's gun background check system into a $1.3 trillion budget, but other efforts aimed at gun control have gone nowhere on Capitol Hill.

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I heard Trump say that in the press conference today. All I could think was, "good luck with that." I just don't think a ban will happen federally. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
if in the middle of all of this he has time to deal with bump stocks, I wonder if he could spare 45 seconds and direct the ATF to delist suppressors as an NFA device...its a piece of pipe that can help protect hearing

to me thats a much greater public health issue than a bump stock

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53180 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He may go the Executive Order route, but Congress isn't touching a piece of gun-related legislation this close to the mid-terms. On the other hand, it would be fun to see the Democrats run with this and lose ten more seats...

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I don't see how it's possible without limiting or making illegal semi auto action. Bump stocks only make semi auto action quicker. So either the ban will be on devices that increase rate of fire or severely limiting semi auto action. I just don't see how that's constitutional

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
On top of the previously discussed reasons why such a ban is unnecessary and dumb, why now? What's to be gained and for whom? It seems utterly pointless, at this juncture.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I heard Trump say that in the press conference today. All I could think was, "good luck with that." I just don't think a ban will happen federally. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.9mm:
He may go the Executive Order route, but Congress isn't touching a piece of gun-related legislation this close to the mid-terms. On the other hand, it would be fun to see the Democrats run with this and lose ten more seats...

No, it's a proposed rule change by the ATF. It has had to go thru the public comment process, which is over, after which the rule will be implemented and put into effect.

It will make possession or sale illegal - if you have one you will be required to turn it in.

https://www.federalregister.go...p-stock-type-devices

AGENCY:
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), Department of Justice.

ACTION:
Notice of proposed rulemaking.

SUMMARY:
The Department of Justice (Department) proposes to amend the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives regulations to clarify that “bump fire” stocks, slide-fire devices, and devices with certain similar characteristics (bump-stock-type devices) are “machineguns” as defined by the National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA) and the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), because such devices allow a shooter of a semiautomatic firearm to initiate a continuous firing cycle with a single pull of the trigger. Specifically, these devices convert an otherwise semiautomatic firearm into a machinegun by functioning as a self-acting or self-regulating mechanism that harnesses the recoil energy of the semiautomatic firearm in a manner that allows the trigger to reset and continue firing without additional physical manipulation of the trigger by the shooter. Hence, a semiautomatic firearm to which a bump-stock-type device is attached is able to produce automatic fire with a single pull of the trigger. With limited exceptions, primarily as to government agencies, the GCA makes it unlawful for any person to transfer or possess a machinegun unless it was lawfully possessed prior to the effective date of the statute. The bump-stock-type devices covered by this proposed rule were not in existence prior to the GCA's effective date, and therefore would fall within the prohibition on machineguns if this Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) is implemented. Consequently, current possessors of these devices would be required to surrender them, destroy them, or otherwise render them permanently inoperable upon the effective date of the final rule.

DATES:
Written comments must be postmarked and electronic comments must be submitted on or before June 27, 2018. Commenters should be aware that the electronic Federal Docket Management System will not accept comments after midnight Eastern Daylight Time on the last day of the comment period.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Has anyone been murdered with a bumpfire stock?

I thought the Las Vegas shooter had them but hadn't used them.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Has anyone been murdered with a bumpfire stock?

I thought the Las Vegas shooter had them but hadn't used them.

I haven't kept up, but I thought he was using them on at least one of his weapons.

That being said, it's high time to ban rocks as the first Old Testament murder was committed with one. Blame the object instead of the turd that actually pulled the trigger and all.

Unrelated, I personally would be much more afraid of the individual shooting at me in semi auto with a similarly equipped weapon than "full auto."

Bump stocks may increase the volume of lead down range, but doesn't replace optics and training.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Specifically, these devices convert an otherwise semiautomatic firearm into a machinegun by functioning as a self-acting or self-regulating mechanism that harnesses the recoil energy of the semiautomatic firearm in a manner that allows the trigger to reset and continue firing without additional physical manipulation of the trigger by the shooter. Hence, a semiautomatic firearm to which a bump-stock-type device is attached is able to produce automatic fire with a single pull of the trigger.

Wouldn't high speed video show that the trigger is in fact resetting and being pulled again with each shot, and that as soon as the shooter removes his finger the firing stopped? If that is the case, then clearly the trigger is being manipulated by the shooter.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You guys can just hang it up. Say goodbye to stupid-ass bump stocks. They're gone. Don't tell me how we must resist every yadayada. Forget about it. It's a done deal.

You can talk yourself blue in the face how this doesn't make sense and it violates the law. Wave bye-bye to the gimmick while you're doing it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
On top of the previously discussed reasons why such a ban is unnecessary and dumb, why now? What's to be gained and for whom? It seems utterly pointless, at this juncture.

While it may appear to be an issue being addressed only now, President Trump moved to ban Bump Stocks last year. Personally, I think an issue like this should have been handled at the Legislative level giving voters an opportunity to contact their elected reps and hold them accountable for their votes...but both parties didn't want to go on record in an election year and President Trump was only too happy to go the Administrative route by issuing an order to AG Sessions to look into the ban.

There have been two Public Comments period, followed by an administrative review, and a proposal to implement the ban at this scheduled time. The time frame to announce the proposed ban decision has been scheduled for this time of year since last Winter.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/8500097934

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Silly and pointless. Might as well ban Jerry Miculek since he can shoot at near bump stock speed and way more accurately. They are stupid toys for dicking around in your backyard. They do not make a gun more effective at killing people, likely, much less effective.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
The bump-stock-type devices covered by this proposed rule were not in existence prior to the GCA's effective date, and therefore would fall within the prohibition on machineguns if this Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) is implemented. Consequently, current possessors of these devices would be required to surrender them, destroy them, or otherwise render them permanently inoperable upon the effective date of the final rule.

Well, damn. After further research: Akins v. United States, 312 F. App'x 197 (11th Cir. 2009) and Akins v. United States, 82 Fed. Cl. 619 (2008) seems to imply that BATFE can simply reclassify something into an MG.

So long as the gov't couches the reclassification under a power other than eminent domain, such an action does does not trigger a 5th Amendment takings analysis. Amerisource Corp., 525 F.3d at 1154.

In this case, it's likely the gov't would use "police powers" as it did with in the two Akins cases.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Ten years if you are caught hangin' on to your belt loop and shootin'. Eek

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I went through the same thing perhaps 15 years ago with an Atkins Accelerator

got a letter from the ATF telling me that I now had a machine gun on my Ruger 10-22 and that I need to remove the two springs, send them to the ATF and swear on 10 years of imprisonment that I would not reinstall the springs.

My $250 investment went to zero overnight.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53180 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
if in the middle of all of this he has time to deal with bump stocks, I wonder if he could spare 45 seconds and direct the ATF to delist suppressors as an NFA device...its a piece of pipe that can help protect hearing

to me thats a much greater public health issue than a bump stock

But that would mean the evil gun people would be sneaking around in the middle of the night silently shooting people! Roll Eyes

I also wish they’d pass the hearing protection act and give us reciprocal carrynin all 50 states. Nothing yet Frown

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
My $250 investment went to zero overnight

There oughta be a law.

Oh wait.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post