SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question on shipping cost or method
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on shipping cost or method Login/Join 
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted
So, If someone was dumb enough (which I'm not saying I am - yet) to want to ship their brother a piece of wood for turning. What service would likely be cheapest for shipping a heavy assed chunk of wood in a box ? UPS, USPS, Fedex, Other ?

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How big and heavy is the piece of wood?

God, Guns, and Guts made this country....let's keep all three

Posts: 495 | Location: TX | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Where is it going? Far? How big?

When I sent my tuba back to be refurbished, 74 lbs worth in cases, the least costly was Greyhound bus.

When the craftsman returned it, in a huge box with a life time supply of packing popcorn, it was by truck. This box barely fit in a pick up bed.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Garret Blaine
posted Hide Post
If they cover the area you are shipping from and to (they have limited area) Spee-Dee will beat all other others, by a considerable margin. Additionally, and I have used them quite a bit, ship times and package condition have been very acceptable.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 335 | Location: Buffalo, WY | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I have a 6' long piece about 9" square. I was thinking of cutting off a section and mailing it. If someone has a cheap - "if it fits, it ships" type thing, I could maybe make it fit a certain size box...

Haven't heard of Spee-Dee. I'll check into that.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
You might consider buying an appropriately sized PVC pipe and glue on end caps. That's pretty dang sturdy.

Then the issue is to decide which carrier to use and how much$$$ to spend.

Once you've got it packed up, check with the post office for shipping, that might be your best deal.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
USPS has a "if it fits it ships " as long as it's under a certain weight.

They have medium and large boxes at the PO.

I've shipped a box of brass that I just filled it full and sent it to someone. I can't remember how much it weighed but it was just a few bucks at the PO.

large flat rate boxes are 23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3" or 12" x 12" x 5-1/2" and ship for $18.90....I think its distance dependant ( I priced it for NC to Tampa Fla)

So if you are looking for a 9x9x9 cube it should not be that much

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
USPS has a "if it fits it ships " as long as it's under a certain weight.

They have medium and large boxes at the PO.

I've shipped a box of brass that I just filled it full and sent it to someone. I can't remember how much it weighed but it was just a few bucks at the PO.

large flat rate boxes are 23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3" or 12" x 12" x 5-1/2" and ship for $18.90....I think its distance dependant ( I priced it for NC to Tampa Fla)

So if you are looking for a 9x9x9 cube it should not be that much

He speaketh in feet, not inches! :-))

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:

He speaketh in feet, not inches! :-))

Ooops

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
Try looking into a freight company in your area, most will ship anything large or small. I'll bet a freight company will be way cheaper than FedEx or UPS. Try this web site for a quote:
https://www.freightquote.com/l...uote.com%20-%20Typos

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
USPS has flat rate boxes but looks like your well over their sizes.

There are online calculators with will compare USPS, UPS, and FedEx. You enter weight and dimensions and it will give you costs for each.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16395 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Why would you put it IN anything? Most large items I've gotten have just come with labels taped to them. The outside is going to get removed anyway. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
You might consider buying an appropriately sized PVC pipe and glue on end caps.

A good idea in theory. But a length of pipe big enough for that will be close to if not over $100 and weigh a ton.

(I haven't priced 12" SDR34 in over 25 years, but the last time I did it was $114 a length)

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
each carrier has a website
on each website is a shipping cost calculator,

all you need is a weight, zip code, and size

for a chunk that size, just wrap in paper, then in cardboard, and tape the shit out of it,
that will keep it from getting marred,, hopefully, and I would hope each carrier would be able to get a block of wood there without splitting it

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I ship old military rifles by UPS Ground all the time. The boxes are usually around 5 ft. x 1 ft. x 0.5 ft, and I imagine a metal/wood rifle would weigh a bit more than a chunk of wood of similar dimensions.

It's typically ~$30-$40 in shipping cost inside CONUS. I suspect you could ship your 6 ft x 0.75 ft x 0.75 ft chunk of wood for a similar price. As posted already, if you figure out the actual dimensions and weight, you can plug them in to a shipping calculator on the UPS/Fedex website.

A freight company will usually be a lot more than UPS/Fedex for something relatively small like this. Freight is more for large things like pallets of goods/appliances/safes/etc. weighing hundreds of pounds.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post