Find
Notify
Tools

D-Day Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:As JALLEN and BH have stated, the people of Normandy are particularly fond of US and Brits, and Canadians. Our flags fly prominently in that region. If any of you have a bucket list, be sure a trip to Normandy is on it.

Fixed it for you.

tac

Posts: 11312 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:As JALLEN and BH have stated, the people of Normandy are particularly fond of US and Brits, and Canadians. Our flags fly prominently in that region. If any of you have a bucket list, be sure a trip to Normandy is on it.

Fixed it for you.

tac

I shouldn't be surprised. It was the Allies who did it, and it is only fair that they share the blame!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

Fixed it for you.

tac

Sorry about forgetting the Cannucks!

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
My late Father-in-law was in the 29th Inf and was one of 3 from his LST that made it to the beach. He wasn't hurt there but was wounded twice the next few months.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1863 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Marathon Music and Video has a 3-DVD set on D-Day -- Buildup, Invasion, Breakout. I will watch all of them while working in the home office today.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
The US National Archives has some color photos if you haven't seen them:

https://unwritten-record.blogs...week-d-day-in-color/

Example:

Local Identifier: 111-C-1258, “These American troops have loaded their equipment onto an LCT and are waiting the signal for the assault against the Continent.”

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:...If any of you have a bucket list, be sure a trip to Normandy is on it...

I have only two travel related items on my bucket list, one is to go to central England where the majority of my "roots" are from, the second is Normandy. I almost made it some years ago when I was planning to to pick up my son after two years in Lisbon, then spend two weeks sight seeing through southern France up to London/Wales. But there were other priorities and it didn't happen.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
This is worth the time to watch.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8518 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
This is a really excellent documentary, one of the best I've seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfZD2_LHi5c

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the posts with content links. I have been working my way through them Smile

To this day some of my most emotional experiences were staring at the cliffs and the remaining machine gun bunkers and imagining hell raining down on those glorious brave kids. My god how did they ever get through that. The other was the couple hours spent at the cemetery. If you ever need to know the true cost of freedom just stare at the rows and rows of crosses of those that gave the ultimate sacrifice defending us from evil. May god bless those souls that had the courage to stand up to tyranny and evil and do whatever it took to win. The world would be a very different place, and not good, had those brave souls failed.

The price of freedom is steep. Unfortunately there will be more wars. I only hope when it really hits the fan again we still have the will to defend freedom. Sometimes I wonder and worry.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I posted this last year or year before on D-Day. If you haven't seen the national D-Day Memorial, make the trip. The area is beautiful and it's very easy to make a weekend or more of it. It's right off the Blue Ridge Pkwy which again you could make a trip just to see.

The monuments are very well done, the Operation Overlord one is very impressive, it's huge.

If you live in VA, MD, WVA, or NC you have no excuse not to go.

I karmaed off a print of this picture my GF took from there. One of my favorite pictures from our trip on D-Day a few years back.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20795 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
I went to the D-Day Memorial in 2009 & was fortunate enough to take the tour with a D-Day Veteran. Just an amazing experience.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
God bless them one and all.

Posts: 4041 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
This is a really excellent documentary, one of the best I've seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfZD2_LHi5c

That was pretty good. I have always wondered why the US built tanks with gasoline engines. I suspect it was to save money, some sort of cruel idea supported by the stupidest of bean counters. The Germans called them Ronsons, as they "always light". Ronson was a cigarette lighter company who's slogan was that they always light.

-c1steve

Posts: 4048 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
+74

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6310 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Here’s to the greatest generation.....

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I posted this today on some other fora -

What was happening 74 years ago today..........

in case anyone needs a hint, it was the greatest amphibious invasion in the entire history of the human race, all done in the name of freedom.

Already, 74 years ago today, many thousands of British, Canadians, Americans and many other nations had given their all, and passed the flame on to their brothers-in-arms to take up the fight.

Thankfully, my Uncle Geoff, a sniper in the Queens Own Royal Rifles of Canada, was not one of them, as he struggled in the breaking waves with his rifle over one shoulder and his bicycle over the other, into the murderous machine gun fire and sand and shingle-covered minefields.

Spare a a thought for him, and all his brothers in your daily affairs.

Bless 'em all.

tac

Posts: 11312 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I found out about this story a couple years ago and it's surprising that it's not more well known.

How weather forecast from Mayo lighthouse saved D-Day invasion

Blacksod Lighthouse[/QUOTE]

You should also know that winds blew the landing craft off course. They estimates are they landed where it was 10-20% fortified but the original landing zones were where it was 90% fortified. Of course they didnt know but it sure was lucky.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I visited all the Normandy beaches and drop zones about 10 years ago. I stood on Omaha beach at low tide and can't really wrap my head around how anyone got off that beach alive.

The American cemetary overlooks Omaha beach. Burials were/are limited to service members killed in conjunction with the Normandy landings. In the literature they give out at the site it says that about 75% of the KIA's were eventually repatriated to the US for local burial so those who remain represent just 25% of those who were KIA.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I plan on watching The Longest Day tonight. Sort of an annual tradition for me.

On top of the supreme courage that it took, I'm also reminded of how well our country came together back then and were one united

cc

Posts: 5298 | Location: S.E. NC | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post