New
Find
Notify
Tools

D-Day Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
When you think you're having a bad day, think of these guys.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Heroes. Each and every one. May God keep their souls.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I was lucky to spend several days exploring the Normandy beaches, the little towns close to the beach, the several museums dedicated to that historic event in the area and several US cemeteries on my many trips to France. I have been especially happy how that all worked out, since fate has given me a terrific wife who otherwise would not have followed a path that brought us together. I would hate for her to have grown up singing "Deutschland Uber Alles!"

We were in France the entire summer of 1994, the 50th aniversary. Each town celebrated the day of its liberation, joyously, enthusiastically, culminating in an all nighter in observance of the liberation of Paris on August 25.

Some are critical of the French, on various issues, but I have never met any of a certain age who doesn't recognise the significance of the Debarquement, what it cost to pull it off, in lives and treasure, with profound gratitude.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
We will never be able to re-pay the debt we owe these guys. I was born just one year minus 6 days prior to this event and had 5 uncles and one aunt who served during this conflict. Guess this is why I feel such strong bonds to it.

God bless all our service men and women in whatever capacity they have served.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this.. we need to be reminded every day of their sacrifice.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
My two uncles were infantry on ships just offshore on D-Day. They landed 2 days after as I understand and went through to Germany. The hedgerow period was pretty bad I gather.

I pray we never forget not only the heroism, but why we stood and led the way. Will raise a glass this evening.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Some are critical of the French, on various issues, but I have never met any of a certain age who doesn't recognise the significance of the Debarquement, what it cost to pull it off, in lives and treasure, with profound gratitude.

My wife's grandparents still look upon Americans as the great savior. When I was first introduced to them, it was evident in how they looked at me and treated me that they still haven't forgotten. I was immediately in their good graces.

Considering that her grandparents were fairly young at the time, Americans were seen as these giant, handsome men who spoke like movie stars and swept in to save them like the proverbial white knight.

My wife recalled some stories to me about the war that her grandparents had told her. Stuff like when her grandmother as a teenager worked in a pub and vividly could still remember German soldiers spitting tobacco on the floor. And how her grandparents and everyone else in Brittany were forbidden by the Nazi's from speaking Breton.

The Americans saved them from all of that...and they haven't forgotten. Not that generation.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
There's no way to understand the fear they must have felt when those landing craft ramps dropped.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

My wife's grandparents still look upon Americans as the great savior. When I was first introduced to them, it was evident in how they looked at me and treated me that they still haven't forgotten. I was immediately in their good graces.

Considering that her grandparents were fairly young at the time, Americans were seen as these giant, handsome men who spoke like movie stars and swept in to save them like the proverbial white knight.

My wife recalled some stories to me about the war that her grandparents had told her. Stuff like when her grandmother as a teenager worked in a pub and vividly could still remember German soldiers spitting tobacco on the floor. And how her grandparents and everyone else in Brittany were forbidden by the Nazi's from speaking Breton.

The Americans saved them from all of that...and they haven't forgotten. Not that generation.

My father in law, who died a couple of years ago at age 95 or so, was a baker. He told about having to bake for the Nazi soldiers quartered nearby.

The older he got, the higher ranking officers he baked for. I believe he was baking croissants and cream puffs for Field Marshall Rommel near the end. Wink

When the town folks found out my dad had been a US Navy officer in WWII, I was feted and treated like a hero, despite the fact that he never set foot anywhere near France. He was on a big gray yacht in the Pacific. They didn't care.... close enough! When they found out I had been a US Navy officer, not even born until passed VJ Day, they didn't care. The cognac flowed!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
General Eisenhower's 20th Anniversary Return to Normandy.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
My fellow Americans: Last night, when I spoke with you about the fall of Rome, I knew at that moment that troops of the United States and our allies were crossing the Channel in another and greater operation. It has come to pass with success thus far.

And so, in this poignant hour, I ask you to join with me in prayer:

Almighty God: Our sons, pride of our Nation, this day have set upon a mighty endeavor, a struggle to preserve our Republic, our religion, and our civilization, and to set free a suffering humanity.

Lead them straight and true; give strength to their arms, stoutness to their hearts, steadfastness in their faith.

They will need Thy blessings. Their road will be long and hard. For the enemy is strong. He may hurl back our forces. Success may not come with rushing speed, but we shall return again and again; and we know that by Thy grace, and by the righteousness of our cause, our sons will triumph.

They will be sore tried, by night and by day, without rest-until the victory is won. The darkness will be rent by noise and flame. Men's souls will be shaken with the violences of war.

For these men are lately drawn from the ways of peace. They fight not for the lust of conquest. They fight to end conquest. They fight to liberate. They fight to let justice arise, and tolerance and good will among all Thy people. They yearn but for the end of battle, for their return to the haven of home.

Some will never return. Embrace these, Father, and receive them, Thy heroic servants, into Thy kingdom.

And for us at home - fathers, mothers, children, wives, sisters, and brothers of brave men overseas - whose thoughts and prayers are ever with them - help us, Almighty God, to rededicate ourselves in renewed faith in Thee in this hour of great sacrifice.

Many people have urged that I call the Nation into a single day of special prayer. But because the road is long and the desire is great, I ask that our people devote themselves in a continuance of prayer. As we rise to each new day, and again when each day is spent, let words of prayer be on our lips, invoking Thy help to our efforts.

Give us strength, too - strength in our daily tasks, to redouble the contributions we make in the physical and the material support of our armed forces.

And let our hearts be stout, to wait out the long travail, to bear sorrows that may come, to impart our courage unto our sons wheresoever they may be.

And, O Lord, give us Faith. Give us Faith in Thee; Faith in our sons; Faith in each other; Faith in our united crusade. Let not the keenness of our spirit ever be dulled. Let not the impacts of temporary events, of temporal matters of but fleeting moment let not these deter us in our unconquerable purpose.

With Thy blessing, we shall prevail over the unholy forces of our enemy. Help us to conquer the apostles of greed and racial arrogancies. Lead us to the saving of our country, and with our sister Nations into a world unity that will spell a sure peace a peace invulnerable to the schemings of unworthy men. And a peace that will let all of men live in freedom, reaping the just rewards of their honest toil.

Thy will be done, Almighty God.

Amen.

Link

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
When courage is defined as being scared to death and saddling up anyway, that generation had courage by the boatload.

As has been said, I cannot imagine telling my feet and legs to move me forward into that living hell.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
The words, "I'll see you on the beach" have such a poignant meaning. I reflect back on the beginning of "Saving Private Ryan" for the reference.....

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Some great videos at the link Link to History Channel

To add, my son in laws grandfather moved in with them, he's 92, and fought in WW2 at the Battle of the Bulge, I'll have to get details on his squad...

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
My FIL lead the 861st Bomb Sqdrn early that morning, in his B-24 "The Shack" , bombing behind the beaches in support of the landings.

He spoke of the endless array of ships on the sea and the thousands of planes in the air. What a sight that must have been.

We owe such a debt to that generation.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Heroes. Each and every one. May God keep their souls.

Indeed! My screen gets all blurry when I think about the sacrifices all those young men made for this country.

I often wonder if we could raise another such army. Especially when I recall that we now have an all volunteer army.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I found out about this story a couple years ago and it's surprising that it's not more well known.

The D-Day landings could have very well ended in utter disaster but thanks to the quick thinking of Irish Coast Guardsman and lighthouse keeper Ted Sweeney, it was delayed 24 hours and the weather held enough for them to make the landings!

quote:

How weather forecast from Mayo lighthouse saved D-Day invasion
IrishCentral Staff June 06, 2017 09:55 AM

On June 3, 1944, Irish Coast Guardsman and Blacksod lighthouse keeper Ted Sweeney delivered a weather forecast by telephone from Co Mayo’s most westerly point. The report convinced General Dwight D Eisenhower to delay the D-Day invasion for 24 hours, potentially averting a military disaster and changing the course of World War II. Today, June 6, marks the 72nd anniversary of the Normandy invasion that signaled the beginning of the end of the war in Europe. On Tuesday, 70 years to the day Sweeney delivered his weather report, the D-Day Museum in Portsmouth will be presented with Sweeney’s original Blacksod observation sheets, collated by the Irish Met Service, and including the actual weather observations which proved so crucial to the invasion.

The Irish Independent reports that new evidence from Met Eireann forecasters reveals how the Blacksod day forecast changed the course of history.

Despite years of planning, in the days leading up to the attack, the Allied invasion would depend on one crucial and uncontrollable factor - the weather.

Although separate observations were taken at various locations by Royal Air Force, Royal Navy and the United States Army Air Force meteorologists, an accurate forecast from the Irish Meteorological Service, based on observations from Blacksod on Mullet peninsula would be the most important.

Despite the country’s neutrality during the war, Ireland continued to send meteorological reports to Britain under an arrangement which had been agreed since Independence. According to the Irish Independent, Blacksod was the first land-based observation station in Europe where weather readings could be professionally taken on the prevailing European Atlantic westerly weather systems.
The Normandy invasion was originally planned for June 5. Nearly 5,000 ships and over 11,000 aircraft would carry approximately 156,000 troops into battle on the day across a 60-mile beachfront and into the interior of the Cotentin peninsula. Because of the importance of the landings by sea and by air, the 6th and 7th, were also pinpointed as possible dates because moon and tide conditions were then deemed ideal.

However, British and American forecasters could not agree on the likely weather conditions for the planned date.
According to the memoirs of Scotsman James Stagg, the chief meteorologist for the Normandy Landings, by June 2, the Americans were optimistic for a 'go' on June 5, whilst the British were "unmitigatedly pessimistic.” An agreement could not be reached.

Then, in the early morning hours of June 3, Irish Coast Guardsman and lighthouse keeper Ted Sweeney sent his hourly weather observation report, containing a warning of "a Force 6 wind and a rapidly falling barometer" at Blacksod.
Group Captain Stagg, stationed at Southwick House outside Portsmouth, studied the Blacksod report and advised General Dwight D Eisenhower to postpone for 24 hours. Eisenhower postponed the invasion to Tuesday June 6.
Sweeney, who died in 2001, said in an interview from 1994:"I was sending an hourly report 24 hours a day and night. It had to be phoned into London, (Dunstable). We got a query back.
"They asked for a check. 'Please check and repeat the whole report.' I was wondering what was wrong. I thought I had made some error or something like that. They sent a second message to me about an hour later to please check and repeat again. I thought this was a bit strange so I checked and repeated again. It never dawned on me that this was the weather for invading or anything like that. When I checked the report, I said: 'Thanks be to God, I was not at fault anyway.' I had done my job and sent over a correct reading to London."

New Met Eireann analysis has confirmed that Ted Sweeney's June 3 reports from Blacksod indicated a cold front lying halfway across Ireland and moving rapidly south eastwards and that a deep depression lay between Iceland and Scotland. Gale-force winds, low clouds and heavy showers would still be affecting the English Channel in the early morning hours of June 5.

On June 4, Sweeney sent a report saying that heavy rain and drizzle cleared, cloud at 900ft and visibility on land and sea very clear. An hour later, Blacksod would receive full clearance of the weather. The following day, at Eisenhower's morning briefing, the latest report from Blacksod confirmed the passage of a cold front at Blacksod at noon on June 4 and confidence was restored, reports the Irish Independence. Eisenhower’s long awaited weather clearance had arrived and he gave the order for Operation Overlord, as the invasion was named, to proceed. D-Day would be on June 6.

How weather forecast from Mayo lighthouse saved D-Day invasion

Blacksod Lighthouse

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I'm not the usual tourist for Normandy, I've been twice (my MIL is Frenchie). I took my parents in 2007 and it was the highlight of our two week trip. My dad's older brother served in WW2 (he was born in 1935, too young). His brother flew in Europe and retired as a full bird colonel, buried in Arlington.

As JALLEN and BH have stated, the people of Normandy are particularly fond of US and Brits. Our flags fly prominently in that region. If any of you have a bucket list, be sure a trip to Normandy is on it.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

Today, June 6, marks the 72nd anniversary of the Normandy invasion that signaled the beginning of the end of the war in Europe. On Tuesday, 70 years to the day Sweeney delivered his weather report, the D-Day Museum in Portsmouth will be presented with Sweeney’s original Blacksod observation sheets, collated by the Irish Met Service, and including the actual weather observations which proved so crucial to the invasion.

ahhh, isn't it the 73rd anniversary, 73 years to the day.....?