SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shoe Laces That Don't Get Loose?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shoe Laces That Don't Get Loose? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I have two pairs of Dr. Scholl's oxfords for work that are quite comfy now with the new orthotic inserts but good Lord the doggone laces will NOT stay tight or tied!

Do they make laces that won't come loose so easily? I'm tightening and retying my shoes like 3-4 times a day it seems like. Confused

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Double knot them (loose 2nd knot), I do it on all my shoes.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tie them using the bows like a square knot. Easy to undo, will not come undone.

Awake not woke

Posts: 566 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
On some of my shoes I use Lace-Locks from Amazon; elastic laces, pull the locking thingy tight. On the shoes I don’t have those on, I have to re-tie multiple times a day.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Seem to recall a thread here a few years back that discussed different ways to tie your laces from the old standby we all seem to have been taught. Advantages of one in particular which escapes me was that they didn't get loose.
Maybe someone with a better memory or a user of that method will chime in to help here. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I had some Keen shoes that came with "variegated" laces, those things would not slip at all. I think you can get their laces by themselves.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just tuck them into the sides of your shoes after you tie them. Problem solved.

Posts: 358 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
There's some cheap knobby ones on amazon that work great.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Ian's Shoelace Site

Ian's knot! That's the one I couldn't remember. Thanks. Hope it helps the OP. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Ian's Shoelace Site

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There is nothing worse (IMO) for a distance runner than to have to stop to re-tie a shoe. I found "Ian's Secure Knot" and have never had to re-tie a shoe since!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Most people tie their shoelaces incorrectly. What you're trying to create is a square knot (aka: reef knot). Most people tie a granny knot. Granny knots are unstable.

There are videos on-line for how to do it correctly.

One quick way to tell whether or not you're doing it correctly is look at the tails of the knots. They should point in line with the knot. If you've tied a granny, they'll want to point up and down.

Then there's Ian's Secure Knot. I've been using that one on some shoelaces that won't hold even with a proper square knot, and they've never loosened in the least. There are videos on-line for that one, too.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wax your laces - Bee's wax works well and smells nice too! The wax helps keep them slipping. I use paracord in my hunting boots and due to it's slippery sheath they wouldn't stay tied either until I started waxing them.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1745 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
What ensigmatic is embarrassingly true in my case. About 15 years ago I figured out I wasn't tying a square knot. I haven't had trouble since I started tying a square knot. What's really sad is I had been tying reef knots when reefing the main on my sailboat for 10 years.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
What ensigmatic is embarrassingly true in my case. About 15 years ago I figured out I wasn't tying a square knot. I haven't had trouble since I started tying a square knot. What's really sad is I had been tying reef knots when reefing the main on my sailboat for 10 years.

Don't feel bad, trapper189. I was sailing, too, at the time enlightenment came to me. Funny thing was: The guy I saw demo the correct way to do it never mentioned reef, square or granny knots in his video. It was only a couple days later the dime dropped Smile

And a small correction to my earlier post: This knot is more correctly a slipped reef or square knot. Even more correctly, in the way shoelaces are property tied: A double-slipped reef or square knot.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Ever since I bought my first pair of Danners, many years ago, I have purchased Danner laces for my other boots as well. They keep a knot better than any other laces I've used. And yes, a square knot.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
This thread puzzles me. In my whole life, I’ve never had shoelaces that wouldn’t stay tight. Cotton or Dacron.

Maybe I’m just a lucky bloke – my Duracell batteries don’t leak either… Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An employee at a New Balance store taught me a good way to tie your shoes. I hope I can explain this.

You start out as you normally would. After you loop the string around the first bow, loop it a second time before finishing the knot. It doesn't have the bulky look of a double knot and you can still untie it as your normally would, but the extra friction of the second loop really reduces the likelihood that it will come loose.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
right over left - left over right = square knot

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by USMCE4retired:
Just tuck them into the sides of your shoes after you tie them. Problem solved.

This is my old standby, but the thicker laces that tend to come with more professional or dressy looking shoes are never that long or flexible. I’ve owned a number of pairs where you could only tie a tiny bow, and forget about double knotting them.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post