SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good Fax Machine For Home Office
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Fax Machine For Home Office Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
I am doing research for an ill friend. He works out of his house and relies on his fax machine. What is a good product? It only needs to be a stand alone machine and does not need to be part of a network or attached to a computer. He does often have numerous pages come across.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I have a brother laser printer/ scanner/ fax, but admittedly will be overkill for your needs.

I mention it only because of the ease of the fax functionality, and I would suggest looking into a brother fax if you find one.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Didn't think people still used them. Maybe an all in one that does plain paper printing. Fax paper used to be more expensive. Not even sure where you get fax paper, let alone a fax machine.

Does he not own a computer and printer?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Brother MFCL2700DW all-in-one in October; it prints black/white only. It replaced an HP inkjet fax machine that was killing me for ink - it seemed to dry up if it went two weeks without printing. The Brother uses a toner cartridge (powder) rather than liquid ink, so can sit unprinting indefinitely with no ill results. That was the real point of the purchase. It'll hold 250 sheets of paper for incoming faxes; I've never sent more than a few pages outgoing, but the feeder looks like it could hold 20 pages or so.

It's fax function is simple to use.

The bonus for your friend (if he wants the feature) is the scanning/printing. It will network with a PC either wireless or wired, prints well and quickly (again, black/white only), and scans either color or black/white.

It was $200 delivered.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an HP all-in-one wireless inkjet that I got for $100 that works great for sending and receiving faxes. Mine was the 8610 but the current version is the 8710 that amazon has for $120 right now. Will even convert them to pdf for you and save them on your computer if you want.

Posts: 102 | Registered: July 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We had some Kyocera AIOs that were pretty decent. I don't know if it's even possible to buy a FAX-only machine, any more?

Last one I recall putting in service, when the one it replaced died, was retrieved out of storage from another site having been closed. I went that way because I was having difficulty finding new hardware with which to replace it, IIRC. I think that was two years before I retired?

So, the company from which I retired still had them, but, when I realized, one day, my department wasn't getting help requests for them any more, in asking around I found that was because nobody was using them (much?). And that was a year ago.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, Got the Brother 4100.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Hope it works out, I opt for the all in one units however I eliminated the fax line and contracted with an outside fax service, they provide a toll free inbound fax number, I create my own cover page and everything is done via scanner.

Inbound faxes are pdf format and sent to my email, that way they are on my PC but I also get a copy on my smart phone. So you can see the fax when you are out of the office, respond if you need to, print it from your phone it just is another advantage.

That way you have a pdf of the file that can be saved to your PC and if something goes wrong, or needs modification, you can recall it, resend, etc.

You can also send directly from your PC without having to print anything to hard copy.

Probably do a couple hundred inbound and outbound e-faxes a day.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Personally eliminated the fax machine mid-1990's but most all Multi-Function Printers have this capability.
You could of course use an online fax service and a scanner or scan-then-email.
YMMV

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Didn't think people still used them. Maybe an all in one that does plain paper printing. Fax paper used to be more expensive. Not even sure where you get fax paper, let alone a fax machine.

Does he not own a computer and printer?

Fax machines these days are just normal inkjet or laser printers with a phone modem and a tiny computer that speaks fax machine.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Myfax.com
costs me $20 a month and has been 100% reliable for over 10 years.
all faxes come to my email.
scan and email out to any fax number.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
if he's in Virginia have him stop by and I'll give him one.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post